Quantcast
Raw Food Diet for Dogs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Raw Food Diet for Dogs

My Ride
    a3

Default Raw Food Diet for Dogs

After much thought, discussion and research, I’ve put my dog (Lab) on a raw diet. I purchased a variety of different foods from Tail Blazers in Arbour Lake.
    I’m looking for people who have also gone this route with their pet, and their experiences with making and purchasing the food.
    I know there are ways to make the meals yourself, and more inexpensive ways around buying strictly from specialty pet stores.
    If you have recipes, or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

My Ride
    TRD Pro

My parents have raw food for their dogs.. but purchase it. I forge the company but they deleiver it every few weeks to the door.
    I know both dogs absolutely love it.. and have been healthier since.

A friend of mind put his 9 year old dog on the raw food diet (Mountain Dog Food) a while ago and he says its like he has a new dog.

Huge difference.

My Ride
    a3

I've heard nothing but good reviews from everyone. The only thing is that its a bit more work and tad bit more expensive...but from what I gather, its worth it.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

There may be some info. in this old thread about it (I didn't read it, I just remembered it came up before):

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/171445/ra...diet-for-dogs/
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Waste of time and money. Dogs have been living healthy long lives on dog food for decades...

My Ride
    a3

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    Waste of time and money. Dogs have been living healthy long lives on dog food for decades...
    I personally like spending time and money on my dog...so thats not an issue.
    I realize there are good kibbles out there, I had good results from Orijen...but I've heard good things about raw, and I'm giving it a shot.

If you've personally had a bad experience, I'd be interested in hearing it....

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

wrong

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

My lab is on Raw food, i buy his food from Tailblazers and totally support it.

His is healthier and happier for it.

he eats Urban Carnivore, Arusha, Natures Premium, beef and bison

With health wheat free treats!!

My Ride

not even close.

Dog's were eating this way until the 60's-70's when kibble and canned food became more convienient for lazy/ignorant people.

My Ride
    V8 Toy

If you're into premium dog kibble or raw food, check out UNLEASHED on 14th st. (right up the hill). Extremely nice people with premium food. During the dog food recall, not one kibble left because of it.
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by 5hift

not even close.

Dog's were eating this way until the 60's-70's when kibble and canned food became more convienient for lazy/ignorant people.
    And that would be decades.... we had a Cocker Spaniel that lived for 18 years on kibbles'n'bits... plus whatever table scraps she could scrounge from us kids.

Out of curiosity.. we spend on average about $100/month on our dog for her primary food, which is a blend of 3 dog foods from the vet, and supplement it with veggies. She's an 82lb lab cross if you're curious. So what is expensive to you guys?

We looked at some of the Raw varieties, and found our dog didn't like them.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '02 protege 5

Both of my pure bred dogs have been on it for a little over seven years now and I would never go back to unhealthy kibble again, a dogs food track was never meant to eat wheat and rice, not only was it never meant to eat it, they can't properly digest it, a normal healthy dog will take over 24 hours to digest kibble, which in normal terms means that your dog is still digesting yesterdays food when you feed him today, so their stomach never gets any down time its working 24/7.

That being said just raw meat ins't good for your dog either, your dog in the wild was meant to get its vitamins for the entrails of what ever it kills, this is done because the dog as I previously stated can't digest these items in its own stomach, but with the vitamin rich substance in the entrails it can be broken down by your dogs stomach, which is why for a little more money you can purchase raw food (meat) with ground vegtables already in it. I personally went out and bought a 1/2 HP grinder and grind my own vegtables which I add to their food.

My dogs I beleive are healthier, have better looking coat and now only go to the bathroom once a day, (less crap to pick up) this is beacuse they digest and use more of what they eat to properly function, less filler in their food = less crap in your yard.

We purchase our food from "mountain dog food" As for the comment about a little more expensive, maybe, if you feed a high end kibble you will find the price comparable, if you feed "ol roy" yes it's more expensive.

My Ride
    a3

Originally posted by worm

Both of my pure bred dogs have been on it for a little over seven years now and I would never go back to unhealthy kibble again, a dogs food track was never meant to eat wheat and rice, not only was it never meant to eat it, they can't properly digest it, a normal healthy dog will take over 24 hours to digest kibble, which in normal terms means that your dog is still digesting yesterdays food when you feed him today, so their stomach never gets any down time its working 24/7.

That being said just raw meat ins't good for your dog either, your dog in the wild was meant to get its vitamins for the entrails of what ever it kills, this is done because the dog as I previously stated can't digest these items in its own stomach, but with the vitamin rich substance in the entrails it can be broken down by your dogs stomach, which is why for a little more money you can purchase raw food (meat) with ground vegtables already in it. I personally went out and bought a 1/2 HP grinder and grind my own vegtables which I add to their food.

My dogs I beleive are healthier, have better looking coat and now only go to the bathroom once a day, (less crap to pick up) this is beacuse they digest and use more of what they eat to properly function, less filler in their food = less crap in your yard.

We purchase our food from "mountain dog food" As for the comment about a little more expensive, maybe, if you feed a high end kibble you will find the price comparable, if you feed "ol roy" yes it's more expensive.

Thanks for your informative response.
    I am looking to grind up my own vegetables as well. Which vegetables do you normally use?

My Ride
    WK2

Tailblazers FTW!!!

All 3 of my dogs are on a raw diet, and I agree with worm. I can totally tell a difference in their coat, and overall health.

All three of them love agility, and the oldest, being ten years old, still gets quicker course times than our 'puppy' who's only five, and I think the only reason she can is because of her diet.

My Ride
    the girls crazy

both my dogs are on raw as well, the problem with cheap ol' dog food is its loaded with fillers and garbage. This is the equivelent of feeding yourself mc donalds your whole life. Just look at the rate at which pets are dying from cancers etc in the last few decades, far more than previously. Chances are your pets die younger and have a less fulfilling life, you are what you eat! Raw food selection is tough, i originally fed "mountain dog" cause it was affordable, but this brand is the "garbage meat" that safeway throws away, its the worst choice for raw food. Personally, i go with "top hand" always at tailblazers in arbour lake. this brand is a little more money, but is great quality, from hudderites in B.C. No garbage in here, also when feeding raw, you should get the "full meal" versions which include kelp,alfalfa etc for a much more nutritionally balanced diet for your little buddies. Just raw meat is not enough, the dogs need all the other stuff too. My dogs are super healthy, very shiny with excellent coats, helps their joints last longer and the best part is they poop less because less of the food is pure waist. You will run into a vet or two who will terrify you about raw diets, but keep in mind they are often sponsored and spiffed by pet food manufacturer's such as science diet, take this as you will. I suggest discussing this with a holistic vet, they are much more honest and grounded in my opinion. Here's one more little story. The dog trainer i used with my dogs told us she knew a dog who was fed a well balanced raw diet its whole life and lived to 24 yrs of age. I'm no expert, but pm me if you've got any q's, i'll try to help.
    100% VAGITARIAN!

I have a 12 year old Dalmation. From the start she had problems with allergies and hives from Kibble, took me over 2000 to find that she was allergic to most if not all kibble, went to raw, never had the problem again.

And yes, it is better to get the raw with ground up veggies, straight meat is good for a treat, but they need the veggies.

It has been 7 years since I switched, she is still like a puppy at heart and body.

I had a Black lab that was on Kibble when I rescued him, he was switched over to raw, After he did the switch, he was the most even tempered dog i have ever seen, I know this is not saying much for a lab as they are like that anyways.

However after him being abused to the point that someone would walk into the room and have a loud voice, he would pee everywhere, to having kids ride him like a horse and loving it, I think part was the food, but a major part was the change in venue for him. Sadly I lost him 2 years ago to cancer. (Worst day of my life!)

I have heard that switching a dog can take a week or two to finish as they have to get used to the high protein. But once they are switched it is like a different dog. Bonus is that the poop left behind is fully bio-degradeable and will turn to dust quickly and with little smell.
    Actual Email to tech support

"Any instructions? Some of our Site IT folks aren't technical."

We switched our beagle to the raw food diet and the biggest difference was the amount of poop and his coat.

He poops about a third of what he used to poop on kibble. Its not scientific but it shows how much waste is in the kibble. His coat is also really smooth and shiny now compared to before and nothing else has changed except his diet.

---

My Ride
    old skool

can someone give me an estimate on how much it will cost a month to switch? i got an american bulldog which i do feed a high end dry dog food. right now she eats a little more then 4 cups a day, but is only 8 months old. i have been thinking about switching over for a while, its nice to hear some positive feed back. just like to know what im looking at moneywise, right now im spending around 100 a month, which will only increase.

I work at PetPlanet and Raw food is one of the best diets to have your dog on... what kinda are you feeding? You can add your own veggies to it as well and can give some kibble a couple times a week, like a good grain free such as Go! or Horizon Legacy which would be just like raw in kibble form. If you have any questions go to a PetPlanet location as we have tons of info for you or feel free to pm me!
    DTP 2006 Best Girl Tuner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast