Thread: Official List: 2008 Top 10 Sport Compacts

Default Official List: 2008 Top 10 Sport Compacts

2003's Official List
    2004's Official List
    2005's Official List
    2006's Official List
    2007's Official List

Alberta’s Quickest Sport Compacts of 2008

1. SNAATCH, 1991 Nissan Skyline GTR, 11.19 @ 126.52, Race City [Slip][Backup][Video]
    2. Holset Hatch, 1991 Honda Civic DX, 11.59 @ 124, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    3. Z_Fan, 2004 Dodge SRT-4, 11.677 @ 121.03, Med. Hat [Slip]
    4. Lococoin, 1990 Honda Civic DX Hatchback, 11.729 @ 120.01, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    5. Cant Stop Spinning, 2004 Dodge SRT-4, 11.749 @ 128.66, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    6. Adam_SRT, 2004 Dodge SRT-4, 11.767 @ 119.63, Race City [Slip]
    7. GoChris, 2004 Dodge SRT-4, 11.79 @ 118.83, Med. Hat [Slip]
    8. Joses13, 1989 Nissan Silvia, 11.904 @ 123.58, Med. Hat [Slip]
    9. BreMorg, 1989 Toyota Supra, 12.038 @ 114.67, Race City [Slip]
    10. Street Gear, 2004 Dodge SRT-4, 12.349 @ 116.82, Castrol Raceway [Slip]

Honorable Mention List for 2008:

11. Supraman, 1997 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo, 12.55 @ 115.88, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    12. Chindian, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X, 12.667 @ 107.97, Race City [Slip]
    13. SinisterProbeGt, 2003 Infiniti G35 6mt Twin Turbo, 12.744 @ 116.62, Race City [Slip]
    14. Turbominivan, 1989 Dodge OMNI, 12.767 @ 104.96, Race City [Slip]
    15. SylvanLakeV35, 2003 Infiniti G35 Twin Turbo, 12.855 @ 110.10, Castrol Raceway [Slip]

Additional entries received for 2008:

16. RWDragoon, 1990 Nissan Skyline GTR, 13.118 @ 103.77, Race City [Slip]
    17. Neil68, 1968 VW Beetle, 13.156 @ 100.63, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    18. STiPWR, 2007 Subaru Sti, 13.184 @ 104.44, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    19. An0maly, 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS, 13.306 @ 106.43, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    20. dj_honda, 1993 Honda Civic Si, 13.36 @ 107.87, Race City [Slip]
    21. Catlin, 2004 Dodge SRT-4, 13.457 @ 97.97, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    22. Accordt, 1989 Honda Civic DX, 13.538 @ 105.21, Castrol Raceway [Slip]
    23. BlackSRT, 2005 Dodge SRT-4, 13.571 @ 107.66, Fairview [Slip]
    24. BigBadVlad, 1993 Mitsubishi Lancer GSR EVO I, 13.688 @ 98.7, Race City [Slip]
    25. Shawley, 1992 Toyota Chaser, 13.897 @ 114.56, Castrol Raceway [Slip]

*** November 1st, 2008 - The List Is Now Finalized ***
    Last edited by Z_Fan; 11-01-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Alberta's Top 10 Quickest Sport Compacts (Rules Post)

General Eligibility Requirements for 2008

1. Vehicle must be owned by an Alberta resident or business. Vehicle must be registered and insured in the province of Alberta.
    2. Quarter mile pass must be completed on an Alberta quarter mile track. [Edmonton: Castrol Raceway, Calgary: Race City Motorsports Park, Medicine Hat: Medicine Hat Dragstrip, and Fairview/Drayton Valley/Grand Prairie.]
    3. A digital photo or scan of your timeslip [JPG format], which clearly indicates the Track, Date and your cars time must be submitted. Handwritten slips will not be accepted, pray the printer is working.
    4. Video may also be used to submit your time IF a timeslip is not available. [WMV format] Your video must clearly show the entire pass from start to finish and MUST clearly show the tower displaying both the MPH and the ET. In car video will not be suitable. Video alone may only be used in the case of cars running 11.49 or slower. All times quicker than 11.49 must have a valid time slip and back-up pass time slip or video.
    5. When you submit your time, please include your Car Make/Model/Year and the name/screen name you wish to have displayed in the list.

Additional Information:

1. Primary fuel for eligible vehicles must be gasoline. Use of Race Gasoline is permitted. Water/Methanol Injection is permitted. Nitrous Oxide is Permitted.
    2. Eligible cars must be streetable with the exception of tires. All variations of tire construction are permitted. Bias ply Slicks, Drag Radials or Street Radials.
    3. Eligible engines (v8less) must be of an overhead cam (OHC) configuration. [exception: RX-7/8 Etc. Rotary]
    4. All formats of drive, be it RWD, FWD or AWD are eligible for the list.

For the purpose of this list a Sport Compact is defined as follows:

Any vehicle with an OEM engine displacement less than 3.5L. [3,500cc or 213.5 cubic inches.] Cars with stroker kits are permitted, providing that they do not exceed the displacement cap. Example a stroked 350z would be ineligible. A 2.4L stroked to 2.6L would be eligible.

11.49 or quicker Pass Requirements:

1. A back-up pass is required for passes quicker than 11.49 seconds. Your quickest pass needs to be backed up by a secondary pass that is within 0.25 seconds of the quick pass ET. Example, a pass of 11.13 must be backed up with a second pass that is 11.38 or quicker. Back-up passes must occur within a 45 day period.
    2. Times submitted without a back-up pass will be allowed on the list, noted with an asterix, indicating that a back-up pass is yet to be completed. These times will be removed if a valid back-up pass is not submitted within the 45 day allowance.

The list will be maintained in several places, and submissions can be made in PM on any of these boards or in any of the threads. www.albertatop10.ca www.beyond.ca www.srt4oa.com www.780tuners.com www.performance-shop.com
    Last edited by Z_Fan; 05-27-2008 at 09:24 AM.

I have posted the rules / eligibility requirements for the 2008 Alberta's Top 10 Quickest Sport Compact list. There have been a few significant revisions. These revisions are intended to broaden the eligible vehicles as well as increase the level of competitiveness by placing specific engine and fuel restrictions upon all competitors.

A brief run-down of the changes for this year (there are some other minor revisions, see rules / eligibility post for full details):

Name change
    The list name has been changed, removing the import element, and simply becoming “Alberta’s Top 10 Quickest Sport Compacts.”

Eligible cars list – nuked.
    The list of eligible cars has been completely done away with. This very confusing system has been replaced with a clear, concise definition of what a Sport Compact is for the purpose of this list. (See rules post)

Back-up pass requirement ET lowered
    ET for back-up pass lowered to 11.49 ET.
    Last edited by Z_Fan; 05-27-2008 at 09:25 AM.

A few comments before we get started.

Two reasons why there was no discussion about rule changes for this years list. The first is that I didn’t start any threads because I was uncertain as to whether or not I wanted to do the list again this year. In the end, I decided I would maintain the list for one more year – after which someone else will have to step up. So if you are interested, have the time and the willingness to deal with the associated crap that happens, feel free to throw it out to the community that you want to keep the list for 2009 and beyond. The albertatop10.ca and .com domain registrations expire at the end of this year. At which point if you want them they would be available.

The other reason that we didn’t hold a discussion this year about rules is because in the past couple of years, while we did come up with some general consensus about a few things, those discussions have usually led to more disagreements. A lot of people with complaints about the list rules refer to this list as “my list”, in direct reference to me – to which I usually provide the true history of the list and its rules about this uninformed viewpoint. But for this year, I am changing the rules, without a discussion thread. So feel free to continue complaining and at least now you will be doing so validly.

My vision of the list really is like this: I believe the list should represent the tuner market for modern sport compacts. What is being done to the newest of new vehicles to make them quick with that quickness being proven at the track? But while I think the focus should actually be on newer cars, I don’t want to detract from those with older project cars. I believe the rule changes, specifically a displacement cap replacing the list of eligible cars, will really open up competition.

If you’ve got small engine in your car, and it’s built to go quick, whether you’re pushing 600whp out of your Honda, or have your 2.3L rigged with a huge turbo and a TH400, it’s all good. I’m not sure how much more the doors of competitiveness can be opened.

I have posted the rules / eligibility requirements for the 2008 Alberta's Top 10 Quickest Sport Compact list. There have been a few major revisions. These revisions are intended to broaden the eligible vehicles as well as increase the level of competitiveness by placing specific restrictions upon competitors.
    Last edited by Z_Fan; 05-27-2008 at 09:25 AM.

My Ride
    1997 Eagle Talon

Limiting fuels and nitrous is fruitless because how can you prove what fuel or if nitrous was used?
    1997 Talon
    9.6 @158Mph
    Revolution Motorsports

I think it levels the playing field and helps keep the cars (for the most part) street legal trimmed save for tires. More people are not using it than those who are, so I think it is fairer to just remove it completely. By putting in the displacement cap, and opening the doors to pretty much everything, I think you need to do something to help level that new field of cars. Removing nitrous achieves it IMO and takes away a distinct advantage to a select few giving equality to the entire group.

I think if someone is using nitrous and puts their time on the list, we'll find out via someone else that the pass is in question. If necessary, I will get people I know and trust [or I will do it myself] to check the car in question and ensure it is capable of running a time and mph close to its submitted time without nitrous by visual inspection and then witnessing its passes. If it can't come close when the bottle is not in the car, we'll consider the time as bogus.

I would encourage anyone who is thinking of submitting a nitrous pass to not bother wasting their time. Really there are only a few cars even set up to run it, so it affects very few people and everyone knows who they are.

We'll be fine.

great and nice of this forum
    http://www.onvon.com

china wholesales electronics
    buy direct from china
    china discount electronics
    car audio video elcetronics,car dvd player, car tft lcd monitor/digital photo frame

My Ride
    1997 Eagle Talon

In my opinion to many rules well kill this list. If you want a "street car" list then there should be no slicks etc, if not and its an import it should be run what you brung!
    1997 Talon
    9.6 @158Mph
    Revolution Motorsports

So you wanna use nitrous then?

My Ride
    1997 Eagle Talon

Not planning on it but if I did, I should still be on the list, you have in the past so are you saying your cars shouldn't have been on the list? Nitrous is used in drag racing, this list is to keep track of the fastest import cars that drag race in Alberta. Run what you brun and hope you bring enough! I say use a NHRA or IHRA list of what cars are eligable and that is it. If you want sub list then that is fine but SRT that runs 11.2 on nitrous is still a import and that time should still be on the list in my opinion.
    1997 Talon
    9.6 @158Mph
    Revolution Motorsports

Originally posted by ron korolak
    Not planning on it but if I did, I should still be on the list, you have in the past so are you saying your cars shouldn't have been on the list? Nitrous is used in drag racing, this list is to keep track of the fastest import cars that drag race in Alberta. Run what you brun and hope you bring enough! I say use a NHRA or IHRA list of what cars are eligable and that is it. If you want sub list then that is fine but SRT that runs 11.2 on nitrous is still a import and that time should still be on the list in my opinion.
    Honestly I could care less whether we run nitrous or not. I thought excluding it might level the playing field. Overall, I don't care one way or the other...

If we use the NHRA basis for allowing vehicles, we'll be seriously restricting what cars can compete and most cars wouldn't be allowed. I think the displacement cap is a very good answer to open the doors to everyone. We're not wanting to just show imports, we're trying to show sport compacts of all kinds and what they can do at the track. It is not just an import list.

Update: Nitrous Oxide is going to be permitted.

I think maybe I focused on trying to make things overly fair and forgot (temporarily) that we're supposed to be finding out who is the quickest. Period.

There you go Ron. I can be reasonable.

My Ride
    1997 Eagle Talon

No prob, the funny thing is I'm arguing for a point that is going to make others quicker, and I don't even run the stuff! I think a list like this can't have to many rules or things just get confused.
    1997 Talon
    9.6 @158Mph
    Revolution Motorsports

We've allowed it in the past. Like I said, I do still believe it would level the field a little, but I think the focus of finding out who is quickest trumps levelling the playing field. I suppose if you want the advantage, buy the hardware.

Alberta’s Quickest Sport Compacts of 2008 - UPDATE #1

So I finally got around to organizing the update. A couple days late, but hey, better late than never. So, straight to it.

Can't Stop Spinning ran an 11.790 @ 130.32 mph at Castrol in his SRT-4. Super impressive mph. This was on opening day so the track was green. No traction and it showed in the 60 foot. Look for low 11's later in the year. Though I know he's dreaming about 10's.

GoChris stunk up the track at Race City running 12.4's consistently like his car was broken. No timeslip, but a video is posted. Good job, and I'm sure this car will be in the 11's again very soon.

STiPWR had a pretty quick time up in Edmonton. Looks like a pretty good 60 foot to me, but dropping that a touch in the AWD machine should be possible and perhaps a 12 can be squeaked out.

An0maly is representing the Supercharged Cobalts putting up a time of 13.306 at 106.43 mph. Hey, I trapped 12.6 at 106 mph using slicks. So the MPH is there for 12's. Just thought I'd point it out.

Accordt submitted a nicely typed up entry. Beautiful typing job, but you're going to have to submit a proper timeslip to stay on the list for the next update.

Lastly, Shawley ran 13.897 @ 114.56 with a stellar 60 foot of 2.7x. Obviously this car has potential once it hooks up and should easily be into the low 12's later on this year.

That's it for entries to date. If you want on the list, post up a timeslip or video from your latest tracking adventure. Thanks for playing.

Alberta’s Quickest Sport Compacts of 2008 - UPDATE #2

Quite a few entries were received this week for the Alberta Top 10. An amazing FIVE 11 second passes were received. Pretty incredible. Considering there are about 5 or so cars I can think of off the top of my head that can and probably will run quicker than the current #1 position, it appears we are set for a year that will have the lowest average ET for all years to date. Pretty impressive. It also would seem that by the end of the year, you'll need a mid to high 11 second pass just to get into the Top 10. Crazy stuff.

Now to the business at hand.

Chindian ran a 13.58 @ 104.49 - this was at opening night at Race City. DA was 4900+ feet that night. A pretty much stock EVO X. Watch the video. This pass takes #1 on the honorable mention list.

BlackSRT ran 13.571 @ 107.66 at Fairview, AB. I don't know the specs of the car other then it is a Dodge SRT4. Good enough to grab #10.

SinisterProbeGT ran 12.744 @ 116.62 in his twin turbo'd Infiniti G35. By the numbers, there is a lot of room for improvement based solely on the MPH. If this car gets out to the drag strip a bunch, I'd say it'll be in the elevens no problem with practice and perhaps some drag radials. Takes #7.

Supraman submitted a typed timeslip for his 1997 Twin Turbo. 12.55 @ 115.88 at Castrol. Nice to see a quick Supra actually hitting the dragstrip.

Joses13 broke into the 11's (finally) at Medicine Hat running 11.904 @ 123.58 - super impressive pass for his SR20. A 2L 4 banger with 555cc injectors and a nicely sized turbo! This car moves. I witnessed this pass, as I was also racing in Medicine Hat on this evening. Good job. Amazingly enough, it only takes #5 on the Top 10. Wow.

GoChris improved his time, but not his position on the list - with a PB for this car running 11.881 @ 118.54 at Medicine Hat. This was on the Friday before Power 2 The Pavement - an event we missed because my frickin' car had some issues. In any case, GoChris was happy with this pass, and I think the car has a little bit more in it! Great time. Good for #4.

Can't Stop Spinning also improves his time slightly, but drops on the list from #1 to #3. Poor little bitch. Great big MPH on this car, and clearly quicker quarters will be coming once this car hooks. Expect low 11's later this year. For now, he shaved 0.05 off his yearly best running an 11.749 @ 128.66 mph. Expect sub 11.5 times later in the year and expect this car to get the punt from Castrol.

Lococoin puts up a great time of 11.729 @ 120.01 in his Civic. Takes the #2 spot. Good job. I believe this car also has more in it as it manged 11.46 last year. I can see this car getting booted off the track too.

ITLGO, aka Z_Fan's SRT-4 (my silver skittle) ran an 11.677 @ 121.03 mph in Medicine Hat. I will go ahead and toot my own horn. I ran an 11.82 earlier in the evening, and HOM failed. So I knew I could run 11.7x if I could just get it right. Well, on my last pass of the night I finally nailed a WOT 1-2 shift and banged through the gears never lifting - it was the cleanest pass I've ever had. I broke out, which was fine, because the 11.67 @ 121 mph was the quickest pass ever for my SRT-4. (Non-Nitrous) Probably the last time this car will be at the drag strip this year specifically to get a PB - hey, I may go for fun some time, but this was all business. So, it was worth the trip I suppose. Kind of funny but I suspect this entry will wind up about 7th by the end of this year.

Big boys who I'm anxiously waiting to see times from are Dario's Pinto, Ron's Talon, Sami's Sleeper Civic, NAPOWER's Civic and maybe, just maybe I'll finish the Z and take it down the strip sometime this year. It'd be nice to see a couple other quick cars put up excellent times. Maybe a certain 4-banger 2.3L mustang I know of...or perhaps the Rabbit. Lots of quick cars out there and if everyone actually runs this year, wow, it's gonna be a crazy quick Top 10.

Have fun, be safe. Take it to the track.

That's your update.

Alberta’s Quickest Sport Compacts of 2008 - UPDATE #3

Not too much happening here, but a couple of changes to the list for this update.

Accordt submitted his slip, and this puts him back on the list in the #10 position.

BigBadVlad ran a pretty decent time at 13.688 @ 98.7 nearly pushing the Evo X down a spot. Great 1.8x 60 foot time. Good job. This takes #3 on the honorable mention list.

I know a Skyline ran low 11's at Race City, but I haven't received a time slip for it. I saw this car run once before, and knew it was capable of excellent times even though the night I saw it running...it was running bad ET's. But it's got gobs of power apparently, as the trap speeds even on that night were insane. Good job, and if you know this person, get them to submit their timeslip and take the #1 spot on the list.

That's it. That's all.

Alberta’s Quickest Sport Compacts of 2008 - UPDATE #4

Several new entries to the Top 10 this update period. We'll start with quickest and work our way down.

SNAATCH snatched the number 1 spot on the list with a run of 11.19 @ 126.52 mph at Race City in his Nissan Skyline GTR. Nice passes. Good job on the times, and congrats on grabbing the #1 spot. This means everyone on the list gets bumped at least one spot.

Street Gear run a 12.349 @ 116.82 mph in a 2004 Dodge SRT-4. This time slips into the #7 spot.

Holset Hatch ran a 12.483 @ 117.2 mph in a 1991 Honda Civic DX. This time takes the #8 spot.

RWDragoon ran 13.118 @ 103.77 at Race City in his 1990 Skyline GTR. This takes the first position on the honorable mention list.

Last entry for this period is from dj_honda who ran a 13.36 @ 107.87 in his 1993 Honda Civic Si. Takes the 14th spot, or #4 on the honorable mention list.

Several cars were bumped from the list this period, including BlackSRT, Chindian, BigBadVlad and Shawley. Time to hit the track and improve your ET.

That's it for this update. Have fun, race safe - take it to the track.
    Last edited by Z_Fan; 08-18-2008 at 09:54 PM.

My Ride
    1098S

Woot! For now.... Until Ron gets out for a run.
    Originally posted by S2K2
    Haha I am pushin more hp than your car will ever see I have carbon fiber u don't...
    Originally posted by Sebasshole
    But give her a thumb in the eye just to be safe.

My Ride
    1997 Eagle Talon

Not sure if I well be out this year still have to put my whole shop together then put the car back together and tune it. Nice time by the way!
    1997 Talon
    9.6 @158Mph
    Revolution Motorsports

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast