Quantcast
BlackBerries "iPhone Beater" - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: BlackBerries "iPhone Beater"

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

Default BlackBerries "iPhone Beater"

I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned this yet, BlackBerry anounced a new phone with WiFi, iTune compatable and GPS...

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/

I wonder at what ungodly price Rogers is going to bring this at?

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I read that it is also AT&T exclusive right now.

My Ride
    V8 Toy

Why is this a "iphone beater"?

Here are some quick features anyhow,

Key features include:
    i) 480x320 pixel resolution display -- some who have previewed the device call it the best smartphone screen ever produced;
    ii) global HSDPA/UMTS support -- effectively a world phone that may be used in North America, Europe and Asia;
    iii) faster processor and built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and GPS; and
    iv) advanced multimedia -- iTunes support via BlackBerry Media Sync, 2MP camera with video recording and 5x digital zoom.

August North American launch with AT&T is likely with pricing in the US$200-400 range

Should be a very nice update to the aging 8700/8800 with more multimedia support. I hope they've enhanced the battery life for HSDPA activities!
    "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

this is exactly what i was looking for
    GPS AND camera

now have to wait for unlock and prices to come down

meh - i like having 8gb of storage and touch screen on my phone.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by analbumcover
    meh - i like having 8gb of storage and touch screen on my phone.
    I like it too... but having come from using a Palm Treo, the black berry would be better for me. I would prefer to have the buttons.
    iPhone is good, but not ideal for business.

Palm Treo/Blackberry's are great work phones. The scheduling/reminders/ and other daytimer features in the palm/blackberry line are big things for me, and iphone doesn't quite do it.

I'll be getting rid of my iphone soon when either this or the new Palm Treo 800 comes out.

My Ride
    W213

Originally posted by Jlude

I like it too... but having come from using a Palm Treo, the black berry would be better for me. I would prefer to have the buttons.

Palm Treo/Blackberry's are great work phones. The scheduling/reminders/ and other daytimer features in the palm/blackberry line are big things for me, and iphone doesn't quite do it.

I'll be getting rid of my iphone soon when either this or the new Palm Treo 800 comes out.
    I pretty much went the same route.
    I picked up an iphone back in September or so and it was a great phone for the 6 months or so that I had it. And while it was great around school and home with wifi around, it was not as useful to me in outside day to day use. This mainly stemmed from the fact that there were no real data plans out. Thats going to change come fall/winter when Rogers releases theirs.

So I got rid of my iphone seeing as how the 3g was going to come out soon anyways. And I was reading up on the 9000/bold for a few months now. So I have been using an 8800 in the mean time. Plus the $15 unlimited email/messenger + Opera mini has me using my phone way more than I have ever before.

On that note I cant wait until it comes out on Rogers. The AT&T exclusive is for the US, and its rumored it might be out in other countries before they release it because of AT&T wanted to hold off release so it doesnt go up against the 3G iPhone. Either way I am due for a HUP so Ill wait it out until then

My Ride
    W213

just thought i would also throw this out there

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wi...oducts/bb_bold

seems pretty nice and it kinda even looks like a iphone the edges or something.

Originally posted by Jlude

Same for me.
    I haven't owned an iPhone, just played around with it and it's pretty cool but doesn't seem like i would like it as much as my current phone.

i had a Palm 650, went to the BB Pearl, and now have a Curve and love it.

I also have hte $15 email/messenger plan + Opera and it is awesome.

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

BB is supposedly going to release a touchscreen model called "Thunder"

Mockup and Article:

http://gizmodo.com/389923/touchscree...ely-to-verizon

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by anarchy

Same for me.
    I haven't owned an iPhone, just played around with it and it's pretty cool but doesn't seem like i would like it as much as my current phone.

i had a Palm 650, went to the BB Pearl, and now have a Curve and love it.

I also have hte $15 email/messenger plan + Opera and it is awesome.
    I had a Palm Treo 700wx... I thought that was the greatest phone ever.

I've never really used the BB pearl or curve. I was interested in the Palm 750w when it came out, but grabbed an iphone instead. I believe I'll be getting rid of my iphone shortly.

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Love the treo 650 right now because it has touchscreen, camera, can easily add 3rd party apps, complete media player, GPS (via reciever)...if only it had wi-fi and a smaller frame, it would be ideal.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

is this "$15 email/messenger plan + Opera" option avail. to all devices or is it restricted to non-BB/WM devices from rogers?

Originally posted by dragonone
    is this "$15 email/messenger plan + Opera" option avail. to all devices or is it restricted to non-BB/WM devices from rogers?
    It's specific to Blackberries.

Basically for $15 you are supposed to get unlimited email and blackberry messenger. You are not supposed to be able to surf the web or anything like that, and programs that use data (ie. Facebook app) will not work.

However, there is a loophole in that if you download Opera Mini (a third party browser), you can surf the web as Rogers sees that type of data as the same kind as your email (at least that's how I understand it).

So basically you get unlimited web surfing with this plan and Opera Mini.

Other programs also work with this such as WeatherEye (weather updates from TheWeatherNetwork), Google Maps, Windows Live Search (similar to Google Maps).

Thus far, no one has reported being charged for this data. Obviously there are no guarantees that you'll ever get charged so it's a bit of a risk for sure, but many people are using this loophole.

LMAO at you guys saying "iPhone isn't good for business"

You sound like mac haters from the mid 90's that don't realize apple does it all now...

Argh...lol

My Ride
    W213

Originally posted by anarchy

It's specific to Blackberries.

Basically for $15 you are supposed to get unlimited email and blackberry messenger. You are not supposed to be able to surf the web or anything like that, and programs that use data (ie. Facebook app) will not work.

However, there is a loophole in that if you download Opera Mini (a third party browser), you can surf the web as Rogers sees that type of data as the same kind as your email (at least that's how I understand it).

So basically you get unlimited web surfing with this plan and Opera Mini.

Other programs also work with this such as WeatherEye (weather updates from TheWeatherNetwork), Google Maps, Windows Live Search (similar to Google Maps).

Thus far, no one has reported being charged for this data. Obviously there are no guarantees that you'll ever get charged so it's a bit of a risk for sure, but many people are using this loophole.
    Yup thats pretty much it.
    This is my first month doing this so hopefully my bill comes in 'safe'.

Originally posted by spyce

Yup thats pretty much it.
    This is my first month doing this so hopefully my bill comes in 'safe'.
    It's my first month as well haha. I'd be choked if somehow I ended up with a $200 phone bill.

Back on topic, the Bold sounds cool but I don't personally like the look of it (at least not at first glance). Maybe I'm biased but the styling of the Curve is more appealing to me than this.

I wish I had WiFi though, that would be nice.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Blackberry Bold eh. I'd like to actually hold it in my hands, some feel way too big, like the 8800. But the curve feels great. I'll check it out when I get onto Rogers in June.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    F30

this is what ive been waiting for cant wait till it hits rogers
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast