Quantcast
Hard to get a job! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard to get a job!

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

Default Hard to get a job!

So ive been out of school since may, graduated SAIT with a diploma in management.

I have applied at almost 30 differant companies since then, and not even a phone call back, (spare the few bullshit scams from monster).

Any other SAIT grads hard up finding a job?

Anyway can you guys post up the differant companies that you all work for, so i can fire off my resume to them as well?

Thanks.

Have you tried temping for a bit? Maybe apply for some entry level filing sort of positions to get your foot in the door?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride

Like that manpower company type deal?

im not to familiar with temp agencies

it seems lots of hr people on holidays maybe?
    ive noticed most companies now you have to really dig in, find out the hr persons name to send directly to, other than just the generic hr email
    it pisses me off how many dont respond (in any way) or return calls, even after initial interview, i think that part is pretty rude
    maybe re-apply to the same places & follow up calls make a difference too
    good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by avow
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    going down the street... sideways... with the wheel cracked and me shitting myself... oh how i miss that car!

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Yea I hate how no one calls anymore to let you know whats going on any more. Give them about a week or so after you drop them off and then call to do a follow up. If I wouldnt have done that I wouldnt have a job right now!
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    GTIR->SE-R->RDX->SLT->S60->LS460

I'm a co-op student from SAIT for IT right now. The job hunt was a bitch cuz everyone is looking for something I wasn't trained in.

Nobody wants to take a chance with a new grad/student. They want for experience and then bitch that they can't find anyone to fill positions.I applied to about a dozen co-op positions. Had only three interviews. Thank god I got hired though.

Temp agencies will generally put on a contracted position for a set amount of time. It's good for entry level to get your name out there and get some experience just to get your foot in the door.

Good luck with the job hunt.
    Stupidity is a disease we all have, it's like a form of brain herpes. Outbreaks will occasionally occur.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

temp for a while, build some experience, then apply places.

i've used "office team" (also known as account temps) and bowen with a lot of success.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    06 S2000

I got a job @ an oil and gas company? I applied on Monster, got a call about 2-4 weeks later, went in for an interview, and got hired. Jr IT Analyst position.

I graduated from SAIT in December, worked sales for a bit (was already in the job before grad). Applied in March, was hired in April.

Make sure you customize your cover letter for every job, even re-write it. Also make sure your resume is geared towards whatever you want (IE IT, management, w/e)

I got lots of offers for sales positions because of my experience.

Make sure you follow up. Call the company, see whats going on, etc. I know some bigger companies with large HR depts are horrible when it comes to calling ppl. I know one person who got he job, and then got an automated "we aren't going to hire you right now" email about 6 weeks after getting hired!
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

You're in the best job market in the country/ if not the continent. You're not trying hard enough, or smart enough.

My Ride
    MB C63

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    You're in the best job market in the country/ if not the continent. You're not trying hard enough, or smart enough.
    or you just haven't been patient...graduated in may and applied to 30 places. Its still may if you applied in the first week that puts you at 2 weeks of wait time now...give it another week and see who calls.

My Ride
    Acura CL

what kind of positions are you looking for? Are you applying for all management position?

While you are doing your own search, you might want to also research which placement agencies accepts new grads, they might be able to help in job hunting...

My Ride

Graduted in april * not may.

i agree with the other replies, but i've found that calling with "i'm returning a call to the hr person in charge of job posting #_______" you can "slip in" and find out the "mystery hr" contacts name, and go from there
    sometimes i even say "i couldnt make out thier name on the (imaginary) message", just in order to get the name from reception, from there on i've at least got a start in

even in the large hr depts, there are individuals assigned to/in charge of certain job postings
    i've always looked at it in terms, that "my work & persistance" is the only thing getting me past the application stage, and to the interview stage, and then eventually hired

as a minimum, a hardcopy addressed to the right person, in combinatin with the emailed copy, then follow-up, no less than 5-7 days after "just wanting to make sure that application came through clear and legible", which allows then for a bit of small talk, like "has there been a good interest in the posting?" and/or "i'm very interested in the position, as it seems tailor made for me", etc.

the other thing i've noticed, is that the process is a lot slower than it used to be, what used to take a few days-to-week, now is a minimum week-to-month process, just for follow-up with applications

having said all that, job hunting is hard work & blows chunks!
    Last edited by Whiley; 05-19-2008 at 12:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by avow
    going down the street... sideways... with the wheel cracked and me shitting myself... oh how i miss that car!

april, not to panic just yet. I graduated last april with a BSc geophysics and took about 6months before I got a related job.

I'm now back on the hunt.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

applied to over 30 and no responses/offers? then my guess is your resume looks like a high schooler's or your interview skills are so-so

if sait offers any resume help i would suggest going there, or if you have any friends that have degrees in HR to help you

My Ride
    cars

I applied to 3 places down here and got hired at one of them..

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

I've found that sometimes companies can take their sweet time, or will put your resume on file and call when they do have an opening.

I've been called 3-4 months after I've applied for a job and the person on the other end would sound almost surprised that I had found something in the meantime, like I was supposed to be sitting around, waiting specifically for their call.

A few years ago I had put out a ton of resumes in February/March (I realize now that this was maybe a little late) for summer jobs and was getting pretty fed up because I hadn't gotten anything by the end of May, then in the span of a week I got about 8 calls...

It seems that the bigger the company, the longer they can take.

But I agree, temping seems to be a great way to definitely build a resume, get exposure to a wide variety of environments and maybe even get a good reference or a job out of it (never done it personally though).
    Last edited by badatusrnames; 05-19-2008 at 04:30 PM.

I find (in Calgary especially) who you know plays a large part of how long your job hunt lasts.

It never hurts to ask your friends if they know anyone working at the company you're tring to get into. Just make sure that you don't ask people you barely know to vouch for you... if they're comfortable with doing that they'll make the offer.

Even if they don't put in a good word for you they'll still let you know exactly when the company is hiring and who you should contact. Send in a your cover letter and resume, and call the guy a day or two later to follow up. That way you get the guy doing the hiring just as he's working on it, and when you call him let him know that your buddy spoke highly of the company and you think it would be a great fit.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

You may have a diploma in "management" but don't expect to get a managerial position with no experience. No company is going to put you in charge of people if you've never done it before. I'd suggest looking for temp agencies and work your way up. Once you get in a position where you are managing staff, then you can broaden your horizons a bit.

I'm surprised, however, that you didn't start looking for jobs before you graduated. I was hired by a design company four months before I graduated.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast