Quantcast
Picky about Pho - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Picky about Pho

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by GQBalla
    ^^^ was it the pho with the slices of tomato in it?

theres this place on centre st thats pretty good i enjoy it once in a while.

the satay is decent, cucumber, beef, tomatoe in it.

the spring rolls there are like deep fried to shit taste so good though.
    nope. she used to make the broth with shrimp tails, bones, meat, some other things and spices and wow it was soooo good, i have such a craving for it right now
    way better than anything i've been able to find at pho places. plus she used the thicker noodles, another thing i can't find at pho places here
    Sig nuked by mod.

mmm sounds yummy,

homemade pho is the best i admit

the good stuff is at dau bo though buttt the hood is soo far and i dont have enough time to go drive down to ghetto 17th just to eat pho.

if you guys love satay and happen to be in edmonton you got to try this thanh thanh noodle house because the satay there is like peanuty yet soooo good, i can't really explain it i have yet to have something like that here.

Whenever my friends and I go out...we always try to find a new Pho place, but after trying 15+ pho restaurants, we still end up going back to the ghetto and eat at Pho Rang Dong (on 44th ST and 8th Ave SE).

Fast, Fresh, Inexpensive and it tastes sooo good! Only thing they're missing is salad rolls (Goi Cuon).

Worst Pho Experience: Vancouver, on Denman Street, a place called Le Vina (I think)...on their menu it wasn't even called "pho" but "beef consume"..WTF! Not to mention there was no sizes (S/M/L/XL) like most places. It was one size, which was about a size M here in Calgary. Broth tasted like water, barely any beef. Worst part was that they didn't serve any hot sauce/hoisin sauce or any sides like beansprouts/basil etc.

Mmm...I want some Rang Dong pho right about now...

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca

Worst Pho Experience: Vancouver, on Denman Street, a place called Le Vina (I think)...on their menu it wasn't even called "pho" but "beef consume"..WTF! Not to mention there was no sizes (S/M/L/XL) like most places. It was one size, which was about a size M here in Calgary. Broth tasted like water, barely any beef. Worst part was that they didn't serve any hot sauce/hoisin sauce or any sides like beansprouts/basil etc.
    i have been there.. it was quite horrible actually.. when I was there they actually ran out of pho (the broth) at 11am and weren't selling anymore for that day. i couldn't figure out what the hell beef consume was. we ended ordering some steam chicken thing that was slimy as hell and some other misc food that i didn't eat. worst experience i've had.. ever...
    Sig nuked by mod.

i should try this rang dong place.

lol beef consume?

i woulda left right after reading that
    AHAHAHHA

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

I find home made pho is the best, my friends mom makes it so good, and since I had it at his place, pho from restraunts doesn't taste as good to me

My Ride
    GSR

Rang Dong is the best place in the city

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

I have tried probably half the pho places in calgary, and the only ones I go back to are Pho dau bo, xuan, and the one by forest lawn high school, the more ghetto, the tastier imo

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

My Ride
    M5 Competition

My favorite Pho place is Saigon Palace by Westhills

Saigon Palace Restaurant
    maps.google.ca

460-5255 Richmond Road SW
    Calgary, AB T3E 7C4
    (403) 240-4048

My Ride
    Toyota, VQ35DE, B58

IMO, the best pho resturant in the city would be "Pho Pasteur Saigon", around the corner (facing the Harry Hays building, right next door to the best Vietnamese Sub

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know."
    -- Donald Rumsfeld

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by aram1000
    I find home made pho is the best, my friends mom makes it so good, and since I had it at his place, pho from restraunts doesn't taste as good to me

Exactly, theres also a reason why homemade tastes so much better....homemade your prolly using tons of beef stock bones/spices and 4-6 or even overnight hours of cooking time whereas the restaurants are prolly using half as much stock bones and more soup base but thats a given

Originally posted by dragonone
    pho kim no. 1
    i'm not a pho fan but i've been eating at binh minh, le da, and Bun Bo Hue (haha can't spell)
    nor am i an expert so i picked out a few to try in this thread

Fixed and Pho with Oxtail FTW!!!!
    Last edited by dj_rice; 05-22-2008 at 10:32 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    '98.5 BMW 328is

Originally posted by KLCC
    IMO, the best pho resturant in the city would be "Pho Pasteur Saigon", around the corner (facing the Harry Hays building, right next door to the best Vietnamese Sub
    QFT!

I have been to 10+ different locations in the city, but nothing comes close to that place.

I was going to mention it, but I didn't remember the name.

Have eaten there like every week for the past few years.

My Ride
    04 EP3'

pho 88 and pho rang dong

One of the keys to getting good pho is going to places that start with pho ie. pho dau bo, pho xuan, pho pasteur. These places will most likely be catered more towards the viet people meaning better tasting pho. There are some places that don't start with pho and are good but if you've never been there why take that chance. My wife's white and she likes to try new places for pho cause she hates the hood and believe me i've had some shit ass pho. There's this place in mckenzie lake that she took me to and I was served by a white girl that asked me if i wanted chopsticks, it would have been good if i ordered a bowl of noodles in warm water but i was pretty sure i ordered a pho tai. There aint nothin worse than havin a shit ass bowl of pho when you're hungry.

Originally posted by stunta666
    One of the keys to getting good pho is going to places that start with pho ie. pho dau bo, pho xuan, pho pasteur. These places will most likely be catered more towards the viet people meaning better tasting pho. There are some places that don't start with pho and are good but if you've never been there why take that chance. My wife's white and she likes to try new places for pho cause she hates the hood and believe me i've had some shit ass pho. There's this place in mckenzie lake that she took me to and I was served by a white girl that asked me if i wanted chopsticks, it would have been good if i ordered a bowl of noodles in warm water but i was pretty sure i ordered a pho tai. There aint nothin worse than havin a shit ass bowl of pho when you're hungry.
    Ya I have found that too, that if the restaurant has the word pho in it's name, it most likely specializes in pho itself, not just viet food in general. Hence the actual pho from places like quynn or oriental phoenix, etc.
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    2015 Lexus RX350

Originally posted by Kritafo
    Pho Hoai is the only place I like in Calgary, everything else pales in comparison for me. Either it's the fish sauce????

Cause apparently it's not oil in the soup, it's fish sauce..sorry.

Anyone know if it's reopened?
    Yes we are opened again. Completely renovated with a new look. Stop by and let me know what you think of it

Originally posted by jus_sum_guy

Yes we are opened again. Completely renovated with a new look. Stop by and let me know what you think of it
    Same hours? I will be so happy to come back...we were just saying how much we were missing pho last night. Kids are upset they didn't get their calender this year from your mom.

See you soon and thanks for letting us know.
    Last edited by Kritafo; 05-23-2008 at 01:22 PM.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by GQBalla
    nuc boaw (sp)

is good this is the oil with the fatty green onion in it right?

i always get it lol except i dont add the oil, i just grab the green onions cause that oil will make you die soon

Originally posted by adam c
    my ex was viet and her mom used to cook for me all the time and i don't know about this "oil"

explain?!?!

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Nuc bow?Hmmm never heard of it, I'll have to get the 411 from my mother
    Nuoc Beo = the fat that comes from the meat when cooked which then is mixed in the pho broth. This is usually scooped out before serving you (done by letting the pot sit over night and then the fat hardens at the top). I believe this is only a North American thing because in Vietnam this fat is left in the broth and you can feel it condense around your lips when eating pho.
    Last edited by eb0i; 05-23-2008 at 04:40 PM.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

To add to this thread. My favorite place to eat Pho in this city is Pho Hoa. I used to like Pho Dau Bo but I got tired from being served by the bitchy lady so I went across the street. My parents really like Pho Binh Minh, there's something about their broth that I don't like though. I've tried other places like Pho Anh, Pho Le, etc., but none I have liked as much as the flavor from Pho Hoa. Perhaps I like Pho Hoa because it is a similar taste to pho places in Little Saigon in Westminster, CA.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by eb0i

Nuoc Beo = the fat that comes from the meat when cooked which then is mixed in the pho broth. This is usually scooped out before serving you (done by letting the pot sit over night and then the fat hardens at the top). I believe this is only a North American thing because in Vietnam this fat is left in the broth and you can feel it condense around your lips when eating pho.

Oooooooooooooooooo Nuoc Beo, I had to ask my mother how to pronounce it and then I knew what it was, nuoc beo is pretty much translated water to make you fat but when my mother makes the pho broth, she always throws that stuff in the garbage...I'm very intrigued to try that stuff out....
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast