Quantcast
Picky about Pho - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Picky about Pho

Default Picky about Pho

Someone explain to me why it is that I can only eat Pho at 1 or two places in Calgary? Is this just me or are other people with me on this one? I can eat the Bun and Com (Vermicelli and Rice) pretty much anywhere but when it comes to the soup itself, nobody makes it the same and I just can't eat it.

Where I do find is 88 and Rang Dong, both in the hood are the only place I go. Is everyone else this picky?
    Last edited by TaiChino; 05-19-2008 at 02:45 PM.
    When lazy let idle.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I only go to Dau Ba (sp?) and Xuan

And obviously every place is different as they have different recipes/ingredients on making their soup broth

I still prefer eating my moms homemade pho, in fact I just had it right now

And IMO, the best Pho places are along 17th Ave SE, in the heart of the ghettooo, go figure, but then again, this area is highly populated by Nammers
    Last edited by dj_rice; 05-19-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    W213

I usually go to Sunnys/Pho So 1/Pho Kim.

I mean all the decent places are around that area anyways. If Im really having a pho craving and I dont feel like driving 15 minutes, or I want some for lunch, then I just go to the closer pho place.

But its not like Ill go out of my way to only go to select places.

I used to like xuan, but I found their meat quality went down, kinda tough and fatty usually.
    When lazy let idle.

pho so 1, and pho kim is good

usually any pho place along 17th and always used to eat at the pho place beside Luckys

My Ride
    NC1

Sunny's FTW! Been going there since they opened!

Pho Dau Bo is good but expensive. There seem to be hidden costs when you go to pay the bill!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Anyone tried Lotus on Macleod and 11/12th ave? It's pretty darn good but pricey. The best place I've been to!

I like sunnys but its sometimes a hassle to go to chinatown

My Ride
    S14|TB1

all pho is different imo, i think it has to do with the regions they are from (Highlands, south,north etc if any Vietnamese ppl can confirm)

for instance in the Highlands i have been told the soup seems more 'rich and heartier' because of the weather and altitude etc

but i can say that the WORST Pho i have ever had was from Oriental Phoenix on Barlow tr, horrible..

my favorite places are the Beef noodle house place in chinatown under treasurse of china (if it's still there), 'PHO' in Castleridge stripmall and Golden Bell on mac tr

My Ride

Originally posted by n1zm0
    all pho is different imo, i think it has to do with the regions they are from (Highlands, south,north etc if any Vietnamese ppl can confirm)

for instance in the Highlands i have been told the soup seems more 'rich and heartier' because of the weather and altitude etc

but i can say that the WORST Pho i have ever had was from Oriental Phoenix on Barlow tr, horrible..

my favorite places are the Beef noodle house place in chinatown under treasurse of china (if it's still there), 'PHO' in Castleridge stripmall and Golden Bell on mac tr

Pho originated in northern Vietnam and spread to southern and central Vietnam in the mid-1950s, after the defeat of the French and the eventual partitioning of the country. It is likely that phở came into being around 1910-1912, early enough in the new century. The communist government of North Vietnam forcibly closed many private phở businesses in the 1950s, opening government-run eateries in their place. Northern Vietnamese fleeing communist rule for South Vietnam introduced phở to their southern counterparts. Unlike in Hanoi in North Vietnam, the phở business flourished in South Vietnam, especially Saigon.[citation needed]

There are conflicting beliefs as to how phở came to be. Some believe it originated from French methods used in bouillon or consommé cooking. Oxen were valued work animals and were rarely eaten, but the arrival of the French had probably prompted servants to prepare a dish that suited the French palate. It is even said that phở came from the French beef stew dish pot-au-feu, with phở being a Vietnamization of the word feu. The broth for pot-au-feu, as it is for phở, is prepared with a bouquet garni containing spices such as cloves and black pepper. Another word for phở, used in Vietnam while Chinese was still the national written language, is hà phấn (河粉; Cantonese: ho4 fan2);[citation needed] the Chinese characters are the equivalent of the Chinese he fen, which comes from Shahe fen (沙河粉), the original name for the rice noodles originating in the town of Shahe, Guangdong.

Others believe that phở possible origins more likely lie in China. China had ruled over Vietnam for over a millennium and greatly influenced Vietnamese culture, including cuisine. Cooking ingredients used in phở, such as spices also seen in Chinese cooking (see five-spice powder and red cooking), as well as the use of rice noodles, are all Chinese influences.

With the arrival of anti-communist Vietnamese exiles and refugees (that is, hailing from South Vietnam) in the post-Vietnam War period, phở was also gradually introduced to Western countries, especially to France and the United States.There are also many phở restaurants in Australia and Canada, as these countries also received many Vietnamese refugees and immigrants. Vietnamese immigrants also brought phở noodles to the former Soviet bloc countries, including Russia, Poland and the Czech Republic.

There are several regional variants of phở in Vietnam, particularly divided between northern (Hanoi, called phở bắc or "northern phở"; or phở Hà Nội), central (Huế)[citation needed], and southern (Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon). One regional phở may be sweeter, and another variation may emphasize a bolder and spicier flavor[citation needed]. "Northern phở" tends to use somewhat wider noodles and green onions.photo 1photo 2 On the other hand, southern Vietnamese generally use thinner noodles[citation needed] (approximately the width of pad Thai or linguine noodles), and add bean sprouts and a greater variety of fresh herbs to their phở instead.
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I'm super picky too. I like the Pho at Noodle world on 17th Ave SE. Also Pho Da Bo down the mall from Noodle World. Both have tasty Sate Beef Pho! Burnanation goodness!

Bagolac is good for Bun but the Pho sucks....
    Saigon Pearl in Harvest Hills: okay, it fills the noodle hole
    Oriental Phoenix: too whitey-fied
    Lemon Tree in Ogden: meh
    Chi Lan on 130th Ave SE: okay, never been back though

My Ride
    NBP EM1

try vietnamese beef noodle house across sir winston churchill high school.
    their pho is great in my opinion

My Ride
    09 wrx265

is pho kim open today?
    im craving for pho right now

maybe ^^ earl i am also cravin pho too bad you didn't call me earlier i woulda went but now i get steak.
    hehe

i love goin to dau bo for their sate. binh minh is also really good.

that place right across from church hill is gross....so small and not tasty only good thing about that place is that its close to me and i dont get REALLY thirsty after.

xuan is good
    pho kim is good
    pho so 1 is okay...

theres this place in edmonton called like thanh thanh noodle house or something that has AMAZING sate

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Kjq4sGO44

didn't know how to embed.

Pho Hoai is the only place I like in Calgary, everything else pales in comparison for me. Either it's the fish sauce????

Cause apparently it's not oil in the soup, it's fish sauce..sorry.

Anyone know if it's reopened?
    Last edited by Kritafo; 05-19-2008 at 06:05 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by Kritafo
    Pho Hoai is the only place I like in Calgary, everything else pales in comparison for me. Either too fish oily or it's just wrong.

Anyone know if it's reopened?

There is no fish oil in Pho

My Ride
    is300

i can eat pho pretty much anywhere.

Pho Anh Huyen imo has the best broth

I can't stand the broths with the cinnamony taste to them. Is that what it is?
    When lazy let idle.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 11 ... LastLast