Quantcast
RHD raping the marketplace - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: RHD raping the marketplace

Default RHD raping the marketplace

Wow so i took a gander at the marketplace and saw RHD cars raping the marketplace. (see attached picture).

5 of the 11 cars for sale in the screenshot are NOT RHD... the rest are.

What the hell? Do people just get sick of their RHD cars that quickly , or whats the deal?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

its the crazy influx of RHD cars being brought in... they're brought in faster then they can sell

I just find it funny that a bunch of JDM fanboys are like "jdm fo life y0" then i see so many of them selling their cars 3-4 months after they preach the shit out of them. When the mkiv supras go on sale it will be automobile anarchy.
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Wheel Barrow

i rarely noticed rhd cars but been seeing a "boom" if you will lately

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    I just find it funny that a bunch of JDM fanboys are like "jdm fo life y0" then i see so many of them selling their cars 3-4 months after they preach the shit out of them. When the mkiv supras go on sale it will be automobile anarchy.
    its cuz they realize how beat to shit they really are!

I've often wondered the same thing. It must be a combination of fear, boredom, and buyer's remorse that causes such short ownership periods for JDM cars.

I toyed with the idea of buying a JDM car before. When they first came out, the cars were a novelty item. There weren't many on the roads, and you could finally buy some of the rare cars that were never produced here. And the icing on the cake is that they have lower mileage and appear to be a lot cleaner than the North American counterparts (and cheaper to boot).

But then you look a bit closer into it and realize that driving on the right side is a pain in the ass when you go to a drive-thru or turn left at an intersection.

Getting a windshield or body panels for a car that doesn't have a sister car in North America is not cheap. And the insurance companies are catching on and jacking up insurance rates because of this.

The depreciation that arises as a result of the novelty wearing off is quite steep - Skyline GT-R's used to command $25-30k when they first hit the shores here and now they can be had for half that much. Not to mention, the cars sell based on novelty. When newer generations become available the previous generation ones are going to go for fire sale prices as everyone runs for the door.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

another question, why do people buy cars that are readily available in Canada in RHD.

today leaving work I saw a RHD ~1993 Civic, and at the races on Friday there was a RHD CRX.

To me I would rather drive on the PROPER side of the SAME car.

Originally posted by vengie

or that, haha
    Cos...

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    I've often wondered the same thing. It must be a combination of fear, boredom, and buyer's remorse that causes such short ownership periods for JDM cars.

I toyed with the idea of buying a JDM car before. When they first came out, the cars were a novelty item. There weren't many on the roads, and you could finally buy some of the rare cars that were never produced here. And the icing on the cake is that they have lower mileage and appear to be a lot cleaner than the North American counterparts (and cheaper to boot).

But then you look a bit closer into it and realize that driving on the right side is a pain in the ass when you go to a drive-thru or turn left at an intersection.

Getting a windshield or body panels for a car that doesn't have a sister car in North America is not cheap. And the insurance companies are catching on and jacking up insurance rates because of this.

The depreciation that arises as a result of the novelty wearing off is quite steep - Skyline GT-R's used to command $25-30k when they first hit the shores here and now they can be had for half that much. Not to mention, the cars sell based on novelty. When newer generations become available the previous generation ones are going to go for fire sale prices as everyone runs for the door.
    My exact thoughts really. I remeber being in the market and eyeballing skylines because they were rare and not very many people had them... then they became the JDM Sunfire. You see them everywhere. and you're absolutely right. I feel bad for the people who paid 25-30k for them and now the gt-r is selling for 15k.... imagine when they r33 gt-r's come over here, the r32's are going to be DIRT cheap

RHD's are gay as hell. Shit i'd rather drive a neon with 3 spoilers than be caught in a rhd. I had the chance to borrow a rhd crx a year ago and it was retarded trying to drive that thing. All these kids think their bad ass rides until they drive it for a couple weeks and find out it needs some major repairs or they finally realize that their actually really lame cars. There's just going to be more and more for sale. Not to be racist or anything but i've noticed the majority of rhd owners to be young white guys.

My Ride
    Vmax

Originally posted by vengie

bingo

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

lets have a mental exercise here. Lets say that the new Challenger wasn't in Japan and they were exporting some from Canada.

Do you think that we would be sending our best condition ones over there, or do you think we would be making them LOOK ok and selling them for a pretty penny while getting rid of the bagged on challengers
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 05-20-2008 at 06:13 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    A hard-top, with a decent engine.

I beleive when you find the car that's right for you...you will keep it for a while...I am one of those that preach RHD for several reasons.
    1) I'm left handed so shifting is actually easier and drive-thru is managable, especially when seeing the reaction from Mr. Timmy trying to give my doughnut to the empty passenger seat
    2) Yes it is (was) a novelty item if your talking about Skyline's, I personally love the look/sound and style of my Silvia and wouldn't sell it for a long time!
    3) Many people will just buy a RHD to be part of the 'cult' or 'group' ... But to be honest it's nice to pass a RHD wtv on the road and get a nod/smile/honk.

-I beleive that most of the new RHD owners baught their car in Canada but ended up with a over-drifted beat up car. I baught my car from the owner of an export company based in Japan so the quality 'should' be better and I was quite confident when purchasing the car that I was getting the best bang for my buck *just under 7k for the car and shipping to YVR*
    Nevermind the fact that it took a year for me to actually receive the car but since then (april 07) I have not seen a Silvia exactly the same as mine which make's it worth all the trouble's!!!

-Although i'm sure the 'mr2 of death' guy would dis-agree with me.

And yes, once the fabled Supra (mkIV) come's to Canada it's game over...
    S13

pointe finale mon esti.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by brendankharris
    another question, why do people buy cars that are readily available in Canada in RHD.

today leaving work I saw a RHD ~1993 Civic, and at the races on Friday there was a RHD CRX.

To me I would rather drive on the PROPER side of the SAME car.
    Different options and different models that weren't available here.

And speaking specifically on CRX's and EG Civic, every single local one for sale is either rusted to shit or riced out and way too expensive.

Not saying I agree with RHD cars but I'm sure that's why some people buy them.

My Ride
    ED-7

on another note, some ppl do drive them as weekend only cars and they have been fans of those particular cars for a very long time.

but yes i do agree, a lot of youngen's these days gravitate to the "zomg, i need a skyline, i'm gonna get one at any cost cuz i saw them on intial D/ F&F !!!" not knowing the cars that Japanese actually roll over here(Japan) far outclass what they're selling over back in North America.
    Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    I swear he was thrown into the ditch by the VTEC sonic boom.

Originally posted by silviafreek89
    I beleive when you find the car that's right for you...you will keep it for a while...I am one of those that preach RHD for several reasons.
    1) I'm left handed so shifting is actually easier and drive-thru is managable, especially when seeing the reaction from Mr. Timmy trying to give my doughnut to the empty passenger seat
    2) Yes it is (was) a novelty item if your talking about Skyline's, I personally love the look/sound and style of my Silvia and wouldn't sell it for a long time!
    3) Many people will just buy a RHD to be part of the 'cult' or 'group' ... But to be honest it's nice to pass a RHD wtv on the road and get a nod/smile/honk.

-I beleive that most of the new RHD owners baught their car in Canada but ended up with a over-drifted beat up car. I baught my car from the owner of an export company based in Japan so the quality 'should' be better and I was quite confident when purchasing the car that I was getting the best bang for my buck *just under 7k for the car and shipping to YVR*
    Nevermind the fact that it took a year for me to actually receive the car but since then (april 07) I have not seen a Silvia exactly the same as mine which make's it worth all the trouble's!!!

-Although i'm sure the 'mr2 of death' guy would dis-agree with me.

And yes, once the fabled Supra (mkIV) come's to Canada it's game over...
    7,000 for a 1989 japanese import... i love it.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

.......beleive ....... owners baught their car in Canada but ended up with a over-drifted beat up car. I baught my car f.........
    sorry I couldn't take you serious after this
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 05-20-2008 at 05:31 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride

"Shit i'd rather drive a neon with 3 spoilers than be caught in a rhd."

Bitch please! Nobody willingly wants to be driving a neon...And yes I know the srt-4 can whip my silvia and some of them out there can whip covette's but who give's a shit. At the end of the day, when some hot chick come's up to you and ask's what car you drive I can garantee 90% of the people on this site would rather name ANY rhd over a shitty Neon...And yes I am a 'young' (21) white guy but I did pay for my car over 2 years ago so I don't think I fit in to the "jumping on the recent RHD bandwagon"!!!!

Nice try though....Neon's are gay, pointe finale mon esti.
    S13

pointe finale mon esti.

My Ride

Originally posted by brendankharris

sorry I couldn't take you serious after this
    That's fine buddy...it's the truth!
    S13

pointe finale mon esti.

Cause you spell like you have downsyndrome.

"Shit i'd rather drive a neon with 3 spoilers than be caught in a rhd."

Bitch please! Nobody willingly wants to be driving a neon...And yes I know the srt-4 can whip my silvia and some of them out there can whip covette's but who give's a shit. At the end of the day, when some hot chick come's up to you and ask's what car you drive I can garantee 90% of the people on this site would rather name ANY rhd over a shitty Neon...And yes I am a 'young' (21) white guy but I did pay for my car over 2 years ago so I don't think I fit in to the "jumping on the recent RHD bandwagon"!!!!

Nice try though....Neon's are gay, pointe finale mon esti.

I'd take an srt-4 over almost any RHD.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

look at the highlighted spelling mistakes
    Cos...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast