Quantcast
Car Culture in Calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Culture in Calgary

My Ride
    06 Focus ZX5, 97 Skyline R33

Default Car Culture in Calgary

So, I'm doing an assignment for school and I've decided to talk about the changes in the car culture in Calgary over the past decade. I need your guys' opinion on how it's changed and why you think it's changed.

A couple of the issues I would like to have discussed and why you think they are significant.

1) The rising gas prices.
    2) The future closing of Race City.
    3) Preferences/Fads over time.

I may quote some people, but this is just a very minor assignment and credit will be given for any words that I use.

Thanks guys!

you could also mention the effect of films on fads in certain groups... ex: TFATF

you should also talk to some of the muscle guys... maybe give ZR a call or something and some of the hot rod guys rather than just the import tuners.

you should also include pressure from the police and how JDM has effected the culture.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

There are various types of car cultures, are you talking about mainstream, day to day cars or enthusiast culture?
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Lease

Also winter driving and the way that more people are using winter compounded tires (these 5-8 years, instead of "all season" of the old days) and how it effect the way people drive when it snows. Tirebob from here is a good guy to talk to about tires.

Talk about the whole taste of the city catching up to the rest of the world and people have changed the way they mod their vehicles; from rice to nice. (i.e. no more 2-3 sets of fog lights, no more NOS stickers, no more "clear taillights" not Alterza, no more blue bulb "HID bright" headlights)

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Calgary is the pickup truck & honda civic capital of the world. Other vehicles come and go but pickups and civics rule here.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by drewb
    you should also include pressure from the police and how JDM has effected the culture.
    You could also talk about the shittiness of the spelling and grammar used by 07's.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    is unique

Another topic is how the economy in Calgary/AB has affected the car industry.. ex. alot more expensive/exotic/high end cars coming into the Calgary area.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by Eleanor

You could also talk about the shittiness of the spelling and grammar used by 07's.
    you could also talk about the 06's and how anal they are about grammar yet no one cares. that and winter and performance cars. the concept of having winter beaters and daily drivers and evening and weekend cars.

My Ride

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    There are various types of car cultures, are you talking about mainstream, day to day cars or enthusiast culture?
    I'd lean more towards the mainstream car culture, but any of those will work. I'm just looking for what people from INSIDE the culture has changed and why they think it's changed.

Calgary is the pickup truck & honda civic capital of the world. Other vehicles come and go but pickups and civics rule here.
    I'm probably going to quote this. Thanks.

My Ride
    DC2 SIR-G, EF CX

My opinion is people like us who drive modified imports get shown no respect. Iv been driving for over 6 years and only had two moving violations and no accidents. I drive the speedlimit most of the time only to either get tailgated or get overtaken and cut off. On Beyond in the past couple years its become taboo to speed and race so we can improve our FnF image that the public and media tag on us. And this has influenced the way drive.

And with the condition of our roads, the fact that the cops will throw the book at us when they get the chance, and the closing of race city. It makes me wonder if its even worth it anymore. I went on the beyond spring cruise and we couldnt even park on the side of the highway with out getting bitched at by the cops. Yet I always see tourists gathered on the sides of highways going nuts over an Elk and they are left alone.

So as far as the car culture in Calgary goes is Beyond.ca pretty much sums it up. Even with the positive media coverage of the GTR theft epic thread and the Hit and run caught on camera yet we still have a negative image and get shown no respect by other drivers.
    I heart my Hondas!!!

My Ride
    E36 M3

The effect of urban sprawl, high energy costs and congested roads might be something to look into in regards to car culture... Collapse of higher density, multi-modal based communities/cities (like those found in the East and in Europe) vs. the new car oriented, MacLeod Trail/low density cities in the West, in light of the rise of mass production and the personal automobile.

My Ride
    Sentra

Well, I know race city is the most rented track in north america, yet the city wants to close it without giving two shits.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Teggy2nr
    I went on the beyond spring cruise and we couldnt even drive at 200+ KPH while weaving in and out of traffic with out getting bitched at by the cops.
    Fixed. Parking on the side of the road wasn't what got us yelled at.

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

Here's a few topics concerning car culture in Calgary:

- The general lack of car pooling in Calgary.
    - I think our "car pool" lane is for cars with 2 people or more.

- The lack of "highways" to cover the large area that Calgary occupies, we have a few big streets instead.
    - Deerfoot is the only one that counts. Highway 1 with its 50km/h zones and traffic lights is NOT a highway.

- How much it sucks to not be able to wash our cars at home.

- The lack of emissions control allowing us to run all kinds of crazy setups on the road

- The amount of rock chips and cracks resulting from Deerfoot.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Teggy2nr
    It makes me wonder if its even worth it anymore.
    It's worth it... it's always worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Population: With the increaced population in calgary, it is more difficult to get anywhere very efficiently in this city. Roads that are not designed to withstand the traffic flow of our growing city are definitly setting us back.

Immigration: Despite Alberta's efforts to give the albertain driver the best training possible to put new drivers in the driver's seat, there are still some people who either get by with using alternaite resources. To be blunt, i have noticed a lot of people not from calgary driving like F**king idiots. Not discriminate towards race, but only people from calgary know how to drive in calgary.

Race City being close: Bad news for CPS. Kids are dumb, we were all stupid. some of us still are. consider the closing of race city another name for Darwin...

Saftey: Newer cars come with lots of different saftey devices that are supposed to be able to reduce the number of fatalities in traffic collisions. Anyone notice that people rather test out these devices instead of preventing thier use? Careless driving charges seem to be on the uprise beyond the population increace but, more when newer and better safty devices are coming more standard in vehicles. Weird eh?

Technology: Texting, calling, e-mail, movies, MP3's, CD's, TV's, PS3's are now all being installed either at factory or aftermarket in a lot of vehicles these days. I don't know about you, but i sure know that if i was watching SAW 3 on deerfoot, i would probably turn out worse than most of the characters in the movie!

Legislation: how many laws can the government pass before it will be illegal to own a vehicle for public saftey? How is there supposed to be culture when your really not allowed to modify a vehicle for speed or looks? When are we going to be forced to have communisim run our cars? We all get the same car, same power, same options, same colour. So we all can be the bloody same.

Car culture: Will it survive the next decade? Or should we all just move to a third-world country now, and start over?

Sorry, that was my rant. Was kinda angry today, and yes, i spell like a dislexic 5 year old.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    DC2 SIR-G, EF CX

^^Its time to start a revolution. Seein other people feeling the same way makes me hope that one day it will get better
    I heart my Hondas!!!

My Ride

So I really need to ask.

What DO you guys think has changed in the past 10 or even 20 years here in Calgary? If there was a beyond meet back then, what kind of stuff do you think you'd see there?

Has the price of gas affected the car culture deeply or is it just as strong as ever?

What's the difference between someone who drives a car to get around town versus someone who owns, drives, and maintains a car because they love them?

My Ride
    See sig

Originally posted by Tomaz
    Population: With the increaced population...

Your registration year is showing...
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast