Quantcast
Welding Techniques - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Welding Techniques

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Default Welding Techniques

When welding, is it better to push a weld or to pull a weld or is it dependant on the angle of the weld?Pros/cons on both
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Its better to pull the weld in MIG, it is also dependent on the inclination of your torch as well as the included angle. Why do you ask? If you are tigging, you would use a forehand motion, with the filler in front of the tungsten, and going towards the filler. If you are sticking, away from the weld, as you dont want slag inclusions in the weld. Also, yes position is dependent

example: if you were doing a 3F which is a vertical lap joint, or FILLET, you would weld starting at the bottom and moving up, stick or mig or tig, doesnt matter, thats how its done. you use what is called "herringbone" weave to do this weld.

if you were doing a 2F, which is a horizontal FILLET weld, you would pull with mig, as well as with stick.

those are just some examples. This is all by the book, as i am in sait for my second period welder.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 06-03-2008 at 08:54 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Its better to pull the weld in MIG, it is also dependent on the inclination of your torch as well as the included angle. Why do you ask?

And forgot to add, MIG welding

Just asking, as when I'm pulling the weld, I seem to melt through the steel moreso than when I am pushing the weld..and no its not car stuff, its work related, just trying to gain some knowledge on welding before I go to Welding skool
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    a fun 4 cylinder

with mig its better to pull much cleaner weld. also angle can play a part, can affect the penetration of the weld pool

sounds like you are moving to slow and to much amps
    Last edited by RZRSHARP_SVX; 06-03-2008 at 08:56 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by dj_rice

And forgot to add, MIG welding

Just asking, as when I'm pulling the weld, I seem to melt through the steel moreso than when I am pushing the weld..and no its not car stuff, its work related, just trying to gain some knowledge on welding before I go to Welding skool
    The reason you melt thru the steel pulling is because at that point you are getting maximum penetrtion, also melting of the steel is caused by incorrect settings, causing too much heat input. If you push, the reason you dont melt thru is because you are quenching the puddle by adding relatively cold wire to it.

My Ride

The reason you melt thru the steel pulling is because at that point you are getting maximum penetrtion, also melting of the steel is caused by incorrect settings, causing too much heat input. If you push, the reason you dont melt thru is because you are quenching the puddle by adding relatively cold wire to it.

So in your theory, if I turn down the amp/voltage and pull, I will not melt through?

Also how many hours are needed to get into the Welding Program First Year

My Ride

Originally posted by dj_rice

So in your theory, if I turn down the amp/voltage and pull, I will not melt through?

Also how many hours are needed to get into the Welding Program First Year
    Correct, your voltage and wire settings need to be set in relation to the metal you are welding. If you are melting some mild steel pipe 1/8th inch thick for example, you could set for 170 IPM, and 17 volts, that may be a bit cold, or hot, adjust if needed. Every machine is different, and every manufacturer has differnt charts in their welders for reccomended settings. Usually in my experiance, the 10, 100 method works good, eg. 200 wire speed, 20 volts, but i mean 400 wire speed and 40 volts would be retarded, so at that point, it changes, know what i mean?

1560 hours is the usual, but i believe you can get in with pretty much any hours you have, you just wont officially be a second year apprentice until after your hours have caught up.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 06-03-2008 at 09:09 PM.

My Ride

I was welding, 500 wire speed and 23.7 volts today

My Ride

What were you welding on?

My Ride

What were you welding on?

Horse Racing Track Fencing componets where nice welds do not matter just as long you pump out production welds can look like ass

My Ride

Yes ok, i meant thickness of material? Thats a pretty high setting, but not that i havent welded at that before haha, its quick...hot...but quick. You can only set the machine as fast as YOU can manipulate the puddle. If you have too much puddle and not enough manipulation, you can risk cold lap as well, youll learn alllllll about it in first year, get ready to have your noggin crammed full of information (=

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

That's pretty rippin' hot dude. On your welder the amperage is in direct relation to your wire feed speed. I tend to use the 1:10 rule too for most welds (18v = 180wfs). Amperage is penetration, so if you're burning through you should turn down your WFS or up your travel speed a bit. Also, as to whether you should be welding forehand (push) or backhand (pull). The general way that I've been taught is that if you're going for more penetration and heat you should be welding backhand, if you're going for a nice smooth, fluid pass for something like a cap, you should welding forehand.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

If ur welding fencing ... weld it down with those high settings...weld it down anyway...and if down is not an option...push it...high heat + down = fast.

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

example: if you were doing a 3F which is a vertical lap joint, or FILLET, you would weld starting at the bottom and moving up, stick or mig or tig, doesnt matter, thats how its done. you use what is called "herringbone" weave to do this weld.

vertical root for mig is downhand (fillet)
    same as your vertical stick 6010 root (fillet)
    (ONLY IN SCHOOL)

1560 hours is the usual, but i believe you can get in with pretty much any hours you have, you just wont officially be a second year apprentice until after your hours have caught up.

you dont need the full hours to attend school... you just need the full hours to advance in your apprenticeship

who are your teachers in second year, sr20s14zenki
    Last edited by Rockski; 06-04-2008 at 05:55 AM.

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride

Originally posted by Rockski

vertical root for mig is downhand (fillet)
    same as your vertical stick 6010 root (fillet)
    (ONLY IN SCHOOL)

you dont need the full hours to attend school... you just need the full hours to advance in your apprenticeship

who are your teachers in second year, sr20s14zenki

Im pretty sure the 6010 root on a 3F is done uphand...i cant remember tho, i dont stick regularly at my job, so now that were back into stick as of yesterday in school, thats the first time ive picked up stick since last year of school, but i seem to remember it being up because it was a bitch to learn. I know that the 3f GMAW root is done downhill FOR SURE haha. My teachers are Jim May and Jason Purdy.

EDIT: Yes, i was correct, im looking at my 120102d first year module, Fillet Welds in the 3F position: Progression: All passes to be completed using vertical uphill progression.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 06-04-2008 at 06:15 AM.

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

my bad... i slipped on the stick your right... uphand... for some reason i remember my teachers telling me downhandfor 6010 root on a fillet.... now that i thinik aboot it... that dont make much sence... mig yea down hand

what are you burning a 1/8 or 3/32 rod and whats your heat at/ arcforce for each position?

my teachers for first and second year were mike burndred and al white

first year math teacher was al knox and second year was LEN ... something or other... the drunk guy that dresses like a cowboy.... fuck can he drink

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride

LEN hes fucking awesom, lol this year we have " rain man" as we call him. Comes in to teach geometry or whatever, and hes teaching us greek words and stuff LOL, fountain of knowledge...doesnt belong teaching welding anything. On a root pass on 3/8 mild steel, would be 1/8th 6010, i think about 90-110 amps, arc force at about maybe 50?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Generally speaking when i mig weld my torch is perpendicular to my work surface, so it doesn't matter which direction my torch is moving.

Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride

Originally posted by legendboy
    Generally speaking when i mig weld my torch is perpendicular to my work surface, so it doesn't matter which direction my torch is moving.

yep sometimes we do that too, forehand, backhand or straight on, it will all change how the finished weld looks. forehand tends to flatten the bead out, backhand tends to give a higher crown, so in teh middle would pretty much give you the best of both.

My Ride

Yes ok, i meant thickness of material? Thats a pretty high setting, but not that i havent welded at that before haha, its quick...hot...but quick. You can only set the machine as fast as YOU can manipulate the puddle. If you have too much puddle and not enough manipulation, you can risk cold lap as well, youll learn alllllll about it in first year, get ready to have your noggin crammed full of information (=

1.875" OD 14Gauge

And wow you guys are using all these fancy welding terms that I dont understand

And at work, I think I'm doing what is called Gas Metal Arc Welding...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast