Quantcast
Welding Techniques - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Welding Techniques

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by dj_rice

1.875" OD 14Gauge

And wow you guys are using all these fancy welding terms that I dont understand
    haha, just wait till you get to school, dont let it scare you, its not that bad if you are willing to co-operate, but they are gonna cram your head with alot of shit and there isnt much time to remember it, youre gonna need to study.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

How long is the program??I've heard from some co-workers, its 3 years and 2 months each year only?
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

yep 8 weeks every year, 3 years. Second year is going a bit easier, id say first year is harder. I HATE pattern development tho, thats second year, drafting, yuck.

were doing overhead stick tomoro....weee

My Ride

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    yep 8 weeks every year, 3 years. Second year is going a bit easier, id say first year is harder. I HATE pattern development tho, thats second year, drafting, yuck.

were doing overhead stick tomoro....weee
    Overhead stick...niceeee

Fawk I hate the mofuggin spatter burns from this welding, I have a jumpsuit on with Half sleeve leathers covering my arms, but those muthafuckers seem to find their way to my chest/stomach all the time

Before I knew about the Half Sleeve leathers and just started welding, my arm looked like a dirty crackwhores..burns everywhere, with the leathers it change my life
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride

Have you learned about keeping safe from UV rays yet? hard way or easy way....LOL

My Ride

Have you learned about keeping safe from UV rays yet? hard way or easy way....LOL

At first no, then after I started to realize what was up so I started putting on Sun Block SPF 30....last week was horrible, I get home, shower, my face was all red, the next day my skin was dry and flaking off...

My Ride

Always wear safety glasses too, ALWAYS, so that you dont have to find out what welders flash feels like....

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

turn down you're amps, when I started welding on others cars I was always sketchy about burning through the metal so I usually turn the welder down and work my way up.

and pulling a welds easier, I'm no pro but I find it better

My Ride

Always wear safety glasses too, ALWAYS, so that you dont have to find out what welders flash feels like....

I cant, I wear glasses so nothing fits over the glasses onto my head right, along with respirator

And I experience welders flash daily actually...sometimes I start welding before the helmet flips down fast enough accidentally

My Ride

I cant, I wear glasses so nothing fits over the glasses onto my head right, along with respirator

And I experience welders flash daily actually...sometimes I start welding before the helmet flips down fast enough accidentally
    If you have the money, i strongly suggest autodarkening, it will really help you when you get to stick welding in school. Optrel evolution is fairly cheap, and indestructable.....maybe check that out. And do you wake up at night and feel like you have sand in your eyes sometimes? welders flash is an eyeball sunburn, im not talking 5 second blindness, im talking ouch.

My Ride
    94 5.0 2004 FX4

^ Those things do wonders.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

LEN hes fucking awesom, lol this year we have " rain man" as we call him. Comes in to teach geometry or whatever, and hes teaching us greek words and stuff LOL, fountain of knowledge...doesnt belong teaching welding anything. On a root pass on 3/8 mild steel, would be 1/8th 6010, i think about 90-110 amps, arc force at about maybe 50?

You don't have to have your amps that high for 1/8" 6010. I tend to use more in the 70-90amp range. Remember that 6010 is a deep penetration rod so you can dig pretty easily without that much amperage.
    Last edited by Benny; 06-16-2008 at 04:03 PM.

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

LEN hes fucking awesom, lol this year we have " rain man" as we call him. Comes in to teach geometry or whatever, and hes teaching us greek words and stuff LOL, fountain of knowledge...doesnt belong teaching welding anything. On a root pass on 3/8 mild steel, would be 1/8th 6010, i think about 90-110 amps, arc force at about maybe 50?
    what aboot your 7018? if your having problems finding a good heat, dont be afraid to feel like your running two or three amps cold...

and theres an old saying... once you can find your heat for your vertical... that machine is your bitch

Overhead stick...niceeee

Fawk I hate the mofuggin spatter burns from this welding, I have a jumpsuit on with Half sleeve leathers covering my arms, but those muthafuckers seem to find their way to my chest/stomach all the time

Before I knew about the Half Sleeve leathers and just started welding, my arm looked like a dirty crackwhores..burns everywhere, with the leathers it change my life

heat might be a little warm too... turning it down 3 or 4 amps when doing overhead and keeping a tight arc can get rid of all the spatter that burns your chest hair off

Originally posted by Benny

You don't have to have your amps that high for 3/8" 6010. I tend to use more in the 70-90amp range. Remember that 6010 is a deep penetration rod so you can dig pretty easily without that much amperage.

3/8ths steel and a 1/9 rod... hes in the right range... i burn my 1/8 6010 at 94 and thats just right on the propper gap.... your heat is also determined by your land and gap

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

oh yea... ask len aboot a drink called the "jimmy martin"... its a fuckin knock out

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

My Ride

Originally posted by Rockski

what aboot your 7018? if your having problems finding a good heat, dont be afraid to feel like your running two or three amps cold...

and theres an old saying... once you can find your heat for your vertical... that machine is your bitch

heat might be a little warm too... turning it down 3 or 4 amps when doing overhead and keeping a tight arc can get rid of all the spatter that burns your chest hair off

3/8ths steel and a 1/9 rod... hes in the right range... i burn my 1/8 6010 at 94 and thats just right on the propper gap.... your heat is also determined by your land and gap
    oh 7018 is my bitch, theres no doubt about that. To make it more challenging in class, my teacher had us do a 3F, but with 3/32 ER7018, and we had to do our root, fill, and cap with the 7018, all uphand, no weaving the root.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I HATE pattern development tho, thats second year, drafting, yuck.

but thats all the good stuff!
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride

Originally posted by legendboy

but thats all the good stuff!
    I know its good to learn, but i just dont click with it.Its like my teacher said, some hate it, some love it. I know i will use it one day so i do the best i can (=

My Ride

One of the Beyond members is a instructor for the welding program...

Revhard

My Ride

Haha that would be so funny if he was the tatooed guy that i see teaching (= could it be?

My Ride

If you have the money, i strongly suggest autodarkening, it will really help you when you get to stick welding in school. Optrel evolution is fairly cheap, and indestructable.....maybe check that out. And do you wake up at night and feel like you have sand in your eyes sometimes? welders flash is an eyeball sunburn, im not talking 5 second blindness, im talking ouch.

I'm actually using a cheapo Princess Auto autodarkening helmet right now...works good and does its job but a co-worker has one of those fancy Miller ones with a nice paintjob on it....$500+ wow, but its fucking neat, it has settings for the welding shades, settings for grinding and shit...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast