Quantcast
Behind the Wheel - Golf Carts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Behind the Wheel - Golf Carts

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

Default Behind the Wheel - Golf Carts

My friends are calling me a fool for buying license and insurance for my golf cart to operate it across the road. They don't license and license and insure their golf carts, and think I am wasting my money laments a reader.

Contrary to what his friends might believe, this reader is a wise person. He is protecting himself against civil liability in case of a collision and is following the law.

A golf cart is a motor vehicle as defined in the Motor Vehicle Act. This means that in order to be on a highway the golf cart must be licensed, insured and displaying number plates. If two plates are issued, one must be on the front and one on the rear. In addition, it must weigh less than 815 kg GVW, have at least 3 wheels and may not have more than 4 occupants.

A highway is the area on either side of the roadway center right up to the property line on both sides.

Golf carts may only be operated to cross a highway from one part of a golf course to another part of the same golf course. There is one exception to this, and that is when the golf cart is operated on an island that is not accessible by a bridge or scheduled ferry service and the highway has a posted speed of 20 km/h or less. If you are lucky enough to live on one of these islands, the local police may issue permits for golf cart operation along the highway and specify limitations and conditions of operation in the permits.

The golf cart must meet the requirements for brakes and mufflers, must have reflectors, a horn, a rearview mirror and turn signals. If operated at night, must be equipped with one or two headlamps at the front and a tail lamp at the rear.

Reference Link
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I was positive this thread would be about operating a golf cart while intoxicated.
    Travel

My Ride
    '05 Toyota Tacoma

That's a good point though, as the Criminal Code does consider it to be a motor vehicle and the offence does not have to take place on a highway.

If you were liquored up and driving around the golf course in a cart, you could be convicted of impaired operation of a motor vehicle.
    Have you ever met anyone who would admit to being less than a better than average driver?

Search Behind the Wheel at http://www.drivesmartbc.ca

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Originally posted by skidmark
    That's a good point though, as the Criminal Code does consider it to be a motor vehicle and the offence does not have to take place on a highway.

If you were liquored up and driving around the golf course in a cart, you could be convicted of impaired operation of a motor vehicle.
    Thats a good point.

It would suck to round the bend on 17 and find a checkstop. At least it's not my vehicle being towed. rofl.

"Sir, you're gonna have to blow"

"Blow you? To get out of the sand trap? I dont think so."

Nah, in all seriousness though, people do forget about the drinking on a golf course, its very easy to do a beer a hole, and out in the sun, it'll wreck ya. Fortunately the time(s) I did that, it was at the local club and I could walk/stumble home. Golf bags are good for balance.
    Travel

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Hahahahaha.
    I guess I'm a frequent drunk driver then.

You'll never take me alive coppers.

I'll be booking along at a searing 8km/h, swinging a putter about wildly...
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Excellent thread. Thanks very much Skidmark.

Peter

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by TKRIS

You'll never take me alive coppers.

I'll be booking along at a searing 8km/h, swinging a putter about wildly...
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    2 RWD Turbo Cars

you cant cause bodily harm doin 5 kph, and when you step on the course, all your rights to sue are out the window . getting insurance on a golf cart is rediculous, are you goin to drive it on the street? maybe slap a vanity plate on it?

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

Have you ever watched the stuff they do with golf carts on Jackass? You can hurt people with them.
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

It's ridiculous how many people get wrecked on a golf course and drive around in their carts, I know I have! haha, and I also know that that is why I should never drink and drive my car haha...

My Ride
    STi

Oh man.. the things i've seen working at the golf courses...

Those things can really book it if you know how to tee them up. Nothing like "drifting" a golf cart in the grass after rain... good times