Quantcast
Calgary Home over 22 Million dollars - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Calgary Home over 22 Million dollars

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by Evro
    Pumphill is shit - unless your jewish, then everything's kindof there, but in general, no nice view, no park's out to the river or anything
    You're talking about ground level, from the second floor of most the houses on the hill you can see downtown.

I used to be able to see downtown from my balcony but the trees have grown too much. There are two "parks" of sorts inside the main Pumphill area.

The only real downside IMO is the lack of water, but with the resevoir a 5 min walk away it is not a big deal.

And remember, not everyone wants a view of downtown, a lot of the houses feel like they're in the middle of the forest, they seem secluded even though they're in the middle of the city.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 06-11-2008 at 12:51 PM.

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Excuse my ignorance, but whats a Spyker?

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yo bro, are you from that goat Calgary car forum that get salty over lawn care, land rovers and circumcisions? That's straight fire.

Word. Gotta be less than 10 of those in Canada.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    The most phenominal house I've ever seen was this 60,000 sq foot estate just south (well around there approx.) of Cochrane, on the other side of the #1.
    Out of respect to the owner, I wont divulge his name, business or the road to get there... but it was absolutely incredible.
    The furnishings were just amazing...
    He had 4 garages that spanned the property. It was incredible, just like Rivendale from Lord of the Rings... particulairly how it was nestled in nature.
    I'm pretty sure I know the house/estate you are talking about - the one with the curved interior doors that are something like $4000 a door? It is a beautiful estate and property. I loved the look out tower.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

It might be, its about 8 buildings on that property. If the entrance to the property is about 4kms long, and all those are said km's are directly south off the highway. It is hellishly steep in the winter, then yeah thats probably it. The pillars that hold the canopy (to the main house driveway) are wood, the whole house has wood furnishings on the outside. Its very well hidden away from the road.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

The guy is 90+ years old isn't he?

I do some work in Pumphill and drive by it all the time. HUGE.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Yup, and the house right beside it (as in next door), is his private physcians (spelling )

He built that house JUST for his private doctor to live in, so he could be right there when his wife needs help. As she is very sick apparently.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

I was told that Alfred Balm, is a modern day scam artist who defrauded many investors with his operations of fracmaster. does anyone know his business activities?

Originally posted by robpark

OK, now...Let me give you my read of the situation (all with the utmost respect...this is all opinion).

First off, getting to downtown in rush hour is MUCH easier from Roxboro, Rideau, Elbow Park, Mount Royal... Hands down. The 90th Ave, Southland, 14th to Glenmore route is dreadful. Not to mention, you have the option to walk to downtown from those communities, rather than having to drive (think sustainability, resource costs, $1.50/litre gas).

I also think that land values in Pump Hill are artificial, in that the only thing bouying the price there is the fact that all the other houses on the hill are large and expensive. Get rid of the estate homes and you could have just as easily put normal houses there. Pump Hill is just as close to the reservoir as Oakridge or Palliser...Bayview is even closer...The innercity communities offer the walk to work lifestyle, easy access to 17th, 4th and downtown, river pathways and are close to places like the Glencoe Club. Then there is the character of the other neighbourhoods...no sound barriers, interesting character architecture with a few really exceptional modern homes to punctuate the aesthetic. Most of Pumphill is 80/90's stucco/wood siding. Some people might like that, I do not.

Then there is the issue of square footage. 40,000 as I see it, is far too much. I'd rather have 6,000 ft2 of opulent living space, decked out in limestone, marble.....brilliant art on the walls than 40,000 ft of mediocrity. 6,000ft2 at $1000 a square foot will do just as much to impress people as 40,000 at $400 a square foot (not saying that is the case for that house specifically). Not to mention utility costs for keeping the place warm, staff costs for the cadre of cleaners you'll need to keep it tidy and the sheer volume of rooms you'll have to furnish. Think of the bill you'll run up at Roche Bobois!

So yeah...that's why I wouldn't pick Pump Hill....I'm not saying it's bad, just not my first choice. Same thing goes for places like Springbank and Aspen... I'd rather have a smaller house on land that is worth more, than an expensive house on so-so land. Land will always be the appreciating asset vs. the house that depreciates.

FYI - City tax says:

Total Living Area Above Grade 15,747 sq. ft. / 1,463 sq. m.

Meaning that 25,000 ft2 of the house is below grade?
    Thank you! Finally someone that agrees the pumphill is overrated!! Great community, but like you said, wouldn't be my first choice. The ability to actually WALK downtown is worth a lot to many, many people.

My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by black13

wow, this is so much nicer and yet only 3 mil? I've seen some at around that price in calgary and they are garbage compared to that.
    Ridiculous isn't it??

My Ride
    R6

Had the opportunity to meet Mr. Balm a couple times at work great guy always a pleasure to chat with him

My Ride
    corolla

Originally posted by demosticgarbage
    I was told that Alfred Balm, is a modern day scam artist who defrauded many investors with his operations of fracmaster. does anyone know his business activities?
    Yea. To an extent...
    Apparently the company was going under pretty fast so he sold it... making way more money than the company was worth.
    And according to my Opa he owns Kicking Horse Resort in Golden.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2