Quantcast
Calgary Home over 22 Million dollars - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calgary Home over 22 Million dollars

My Ride
    mk4 turbo jetta

Default Calgary Home over 22 Million dollars

Anyone know if this is the citys most expensive property?
    Located in the cul de sac of Pump Hill CL SW
    City Tax Assessment has it at $22020000

Anyone know of a more luxurious place, or any info on this property in Pump Hill. ie owner, features etc...
    very curious.

I would have to think it would be near impossible to sell this place if the time ever came!!!

My Ride
    GTI

It is the most expensive.

If I remember correctly there are 2 underground levels, theater, 91 rooms, guard station etc. His name is Alfred Balm.

What I think most people don't know is that the "main" entrance is on the side if you're looking from the road, there is a real nice staircase there. I'm not sure if you can still see it from the road.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 06-11-2008 at 12:10 AM.

theres one for $32 million somewhere in foothills??
    although they say the pumphill one is the most expensive, but I don't believe it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    E36 M3

It may be assessed at that value, but...it is really only worth what someone will pay for it, and that is likely NOT $22,000,000...

So many better options for less cash... Mount Royal, Elbow Park, Rideau and Roxboro are far better locations with more prestige and you can buy into the TOP end of those neighbourhoods for around $12,000,000...if you wanted to. $6,000,000 will get you a pretty good house, so save the cash and buy a beach house somewhere and a lot of really exotic cars.

I do know the house has a turntable in the garage so the owner never has to back out, and I believe it has 14 bathrooms. Too bad it looks like a mall and has the curb appeal syphilis riddled hooker. That's my opinion at least....I really don't like the place.

My Ride
    V167

You can see the side entrance as you drive down the street if you look through the trees. I personally am not a fan of the home. Yeah its pimp and shit but the location does not appeal to me at all.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by robpark

I do know the house has a turntable in the garage so the owner never has to back out, and I believe it has 14 bathrooms. Too bad it looks like a mall and has the curb appeal syphilis riddled hooker. That's my opinion at least....I really don't like the place.

I wonder who owns it?

My Ride
    GTI

So many better options for less cash... Mount Royal, Elbow Park, Rideau and Roxboro are far better locations with more prestige and you can buy into the TOP end of those neighbourhoods for around $12,000,000...if you wanted to. $6,000,000 will get you a pretty good house, so save the cash and buy a beach house somewhere and a lot of really exotic cars.

There are no better options of similar size, and I would argue that Mount Royal and Elbow Park are not much better locations if you're talking about distance from downtown or neighbourhood. There is hardly any traffic in pumphill and it is only ten minutes from downtown, with chinook center less than 5 minutes away, glenmore resevoir so close, quicker access to deerfoot and a lot of wildlife.

I see packs of deer every week and I even see moose in our yard.

People spending this much money on a house already own houses elsewhere. And a lot of these rich people don't care for exotic cars, one of our friends just built a massive house west of Calgary and they have 3 BMW x5s, and they have 2 beach houses.

My Ride
    V167

http://www.businessedge.ca/article.cfm/newsID/3417.cfm

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...35a4c1&k=54217

He owns Fracmaster. Baller.

"Built in 2000, Balm's 91-room mansion includes two elevators, 14 bathrooms, an indoor pool, sauna, gym, library, auditorium-concert hall and studio."

My Ride
    GTI

I don't think he is an owner anymore.

That first article is wrong, including all levels the house is close to 40 000 sq feet.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 06-11-2008 at 12:30 AM.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by nismodrifter
    http://www.businessedge.ca/article.cfm/newsID/3417.cfm

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...c1&k=54217

He owns Fracmaster. Baller.

"Built in 2000, Balm's 91-room mansion includes two elevators, 14 bathrooms, an indoor pool, sauna, gym, library, auditorium-concert hall and studio."
    Thanks! Interesting read.

My Ride
    E36 M3

There are no better options of similar size, and I would argue that Mount Royal and Elbow Park are not much better locations if you're talking about distance from downtown or neighbourhood. There is hardly any traffic in pumphill and it is only ten minutes from downtown, with chinook center less than 5 minutes away, glenmore resevoir so close, quicker access to deerfoot and a lot of wildlife.
    OK, now...Let me give you my read of the situation (all with the utmost respect...this is all opinion).

First off, getting to downtown in rush hour is MUCH easier from Roxboro, Rideau, Elbow Park, Mount Royal... Hands down. The 90th Ave, Southland, 14th to Glenmore route is dreadful. Not to mention, you have the option to walk to downtown from those communities, rather than having to drive (think sustainability, resource costs, $1.50/litre gas).

I also think that land values in Pump Hill are artificial, in that the only thing bouying the price there is the fact that all the other houses on the hill are large and expensive. Get rid of the estate homes and you could have just as easily put normal houses there. Pump Hill is just as close to the reservoir as Oakridge or Palliser...Bayview is even closer...The innercity communities offer the walk to work lifestyle, easy access to 17th, 4th and downtown, river pathways and are close to places like the Glencoe Club. Then there is the character of the other neighbourhoods...no sound barriers, interesting character architecture with a few really exceptional modern homes to punctuate the aesthetic. Most of Pumphill is 80/90's stucco/wood siding. Some people might like that, I do not.

Then there is the issue of square footage. 40,000 as I see it, is far too much. I'd rather have 6,000 ft2 of opulent living space, decked out in limestone, marble.....brilliant art on the walls than 40,000 ft of mediocrity. 6,000ft2 at $1000 a square foot will do just as much to impress people as 40,000 at $400 a square foot (not saying that is the case for that house specifically). Not to mention utility costs for keeping the place warm, staff costs for the cadre of cleaners you'll need to keep it tidy and the sheer volume of rooms you'll have to furnish. Think of the bill you'll run up at Roche Bobois!

So yeah...that's why I wouldn't pick Pump Hill....I'm not saying it's bad, just not my first choice. Same thing goes for places like Springbank and Aspen... I'd rather have a smaller house on land that is worth more, than an expensive house on so-so land. Land will always be the appreciating asset vs. the house that depreciates.

FYI - City tax says:

Total Living Area Above Grade 15,747 sq. ft. / 1,463 sq. m.

Meaning that 25,000 ft2 of the house is below grade?
    Last edited by robpark; 06-11-2008 at 01:27 AM.

IMHO even 6000 sq. ft. is too much.

Thats a whole lot of space that goes unused for much of the time.

I'd (personally) rather have a really well done 2500 sq. ft. home with an awesome outdoor entertainment area for family/friends gatherings in the summer time.

My Ride
    GTI

OK, now...

FYI - City tax says:

Total Living Area Above Grade 15,747 sq. ft. / 1,463 sq. m.

Meaning that 25,000 ft2 of the house is below grade?
    Fair enough. Being able to walk downtown is a bonus, and the river and scenery is a little better. I like Pumphill though because it is like a forest in the middle of the city. 14th isn't as bad as you make it sound though, I left my house at 6:05 yesterday, in terrible weather and during rush hour, and still made it to the UofC by 6:25, without driving agressively.

Much of Pump Hill, especially where the house in question stands, has modern homes, it is mostly the outlaying areas of Pumphill which have those not spectacular looking homes, but even in those areas there are some amazing houses. Most of the houses which look like shit are undergoing renovations right now as well.

Personally as a young adult I would rather live downtown or in Mount Royal, but for older rich people who want to live inside the city in a quiet area, IMO Pumphill is the best place, just because there is so little traffic and nothing really happening in the community.

Oh and yes, most of the house is below grade, like I said, 2 "basement" levels.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Originally posted by Hakkola

I don't think he is an owner anymore.

That first article is wrong, including all levels the house is close to 40 000 sq feet.
    You're right, he's ex Fracmaster now but holds quite the interest in it still. His house sits on two lots. Great guy with a fantastic Christmas party

If anyone is curious as to what the place looks like on the inside, Abugov Kaspar architects have a few photos of the place inside the foyer of the Bentline office. Very cool.

AB owns a company called Emergo, who invest and fund small startups. Their office is in Bankers Hall.

There has been a Spyker spotted many times in the driveway.

My Ride
    cars

As a comparison.. here's what 4 mil gets you down here..

http://schomes4u.idxre.com/idx/detai...=727889&bid=60

My Ride
    cars

My Ride
    old Toyotas

Originally posted by modded46
    Or better yet for under 3

http://schomes4u.idxre.com/idx/detai...388&bid=60
    wow, this is so much nicer and yet only 3 mil? I've seen some at around that price in calgary and they are garbage compared to that.

My Ride
    A Yugo

Pumphill is shit - unless your jewish, then everything's kindof there, but in general, no nice view, no park's out to the river or anything

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by rmk
    If anyone is curious as to what the place looks like on the inside, Abugov Kaspar architects have a few photos of the place inside the foyer of the Bentline office. Very cool.

AB owns a company called Emergo, who invest and fund small startups. Their office is in Bankers Hall.

There has been a Spyker spotted many times in the driveway.
    Excuse my ignorance, but whats a Spyker?

I used to know the guy who installed the stereo(s) in Alfred's house. He is a sales rep for one of Calgary's nicest stereo stores.
    He was telling me about it, aparently he has a beach in his house, with a waterfall. The sand was brought in from Eygpt.
    Definatley interesting.

The most phenominal house I've ever seen was this 60,000 sq foot estate just south (well around there approx.) of Cochrane, on the other side of the #1.
    Out of respect to the owner, I wont divulge his name, business or the road to get there... but it was absolutely incredible.
    The furnishings were just amazing...
    He had 4 garages that spanned the property. It was incredible, just like Rivendale from Lord of the Rings... particulairly how it was nestled in nature.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast