Quantcast
Has anyone installed hardwood flooring themselves? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone installed hardwood flooring themselves?

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Default Has anyone installed hardwood flooring themselves?

I see costco has got some sale an 3 in x 3/4.
    I been curious how much trouble it would be to install myself.
    Thought about doing the den first. If it aint so good it's esier to hide.
    It would mate up to some ceramic floor tile. I was also wondering how much thickness the 3/4 inch lose or gain when the carpet is removed...has anyone here tried it?

I'm pretty sure Home Depot, or Rona has courses you can take to teach you how to do it....

I've done laminate hardwood flooring before. It's actually not too tough - all the pieces snap together. If you can use a saw and measuring tape, then you're set.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

^doesn't it nail down?

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by Jayson
    I'm pretty sure Home Depot, or Rona has courses you can take to teach you how to do it....
    I think yur right!
    Never thought of that..

need to rent a hardwood floor stapler. that and a mitre saw and you're set!

or you could hire someone like me

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-18-2020 at 01:09 PM.

My Ride
    2014 GMC Terrain SLE-2 V6

its super easy, just grab a book from home depot if your a little unsure.

Originally posted by old&slow
    ^doesn't it nail down?
    Nope it doesn't nail down. You put down the foam underneath and it's grippy enough that the wood doesn't move around.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by richardchan2002

Nope it doesn't nail down. You put down the foam underneath and it's grippy enough that the wood doesn't move around.
    Let me stress the difference between laminate and true hardwood - laminate is a floating floor, hardwood is stapled down.

My Ride
    POS

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    Let me stress the difference between laminate and true hardwood - laminate is a floating floor, hardwood is stapled down.
    I believe the one the OP's referring to actually doesn't need to be nailed down.
    http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....=1&topnav=&s=1

If you are decent with a table and mitre saw, you shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure to get some nice knee pads so you aren't sore for a week.

There is going to be about a 1 1/2" difference (Ceramic + subfloor) but you should be able to find some thicker underlay so it matches up evenly, but might have to shop around for it as different stores carry different brands that vary in thickness.
    Last edited by topmade; 06-12-2008 at 10:15 PM.

My Ride
    04 Mini Cooper S JCW

I wouldn't count on learning a lot from the courses at Rona or Home Depot. I'm a total newb on home renos and still didn't learn anything new at the demos at the store.

I asked lots of questions on yahoo answers and ended up finding a really knowledgeable guy on there. He suggested laying the floor at a 45 degree angle. It looks awesome. So bottom line, check online for DIY guides or buy a book at Home Depot/Rona. That being said, installation is not hard. I think the biggest thing to consider is to acclimatize the wood before you install it.

Edit: I got my hardwood at an auction in Camrose. It's Brazilian walnut and ended up costing just over $2 a square foot. I would suggest checking out some of the auctions for different flooring.
    Last edited by gran turismo; 06-12-2008 at 10:21 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by topmade

I believe the one the OP's referring to actually doesn't need to be nailed down.
    http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....opnav=&s=1

Interesting, first time I've seen a snap-together hardwood floor.

My Ride
    '01 Acura CL Type S

Cleaning the area before you put the foam is very important as well. Make sure to check for pieces that are chipped off on the ends because that could be a bit of a problem for you and depending on where you get it from, you could return the defective pieces (most stores take'em back if not all of them). It was my first time putting hardwood flooring last summer and it is pretty easy once you get the hang of it (just the starting is a little tricky). Good Luck

My Ride
    FWD FTW!

Yea me and my dad did it in our old house, just rent the staple gun and we had a mitre saw, all you need really. Once you get going , you get the flow it jus goes. The worst things are corners and edges, but just take your time, measure twice cut once lol. Did the whole downstairs during one, pretty long night.
    //--// SDWZ //--//

"If in doubt, flat out" C. McRae R.I.P.

My Ride
    I like. :)

Did anyone here have to 'level' the floor first?

Sometimes older or existing floors aren't totally flat (ie. slight bowing/warping of the floorboards, etc.). In this case you usually need slap down some stuff that looks like filler or cement. Was this difficult to get level?

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Buy self leveling compound. Pour it on the floor in the "sag" and wait however long it specifies.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

I have seen many hardwood floors that look like complete sh*t though because the homeowner tried to save some money and do it themself. I mean, it's not rocket science, but not everyone can do it.

It seems nowadays people go watch a 1 hour demo at HD and then they think I'm a hardwood floor installer or I can install my own ceramic tile or I'll build my own deck. Reality is, most people don't have the knowledge or skill to do it.

I don't understand. You need to sell your house, you get a realtor. You get a divorce, you get a lawyer. You need your home renovated... sh*t I''ll do it myself.

OP, my advice is to either do a lot of research and spend a lot of time on it or hire someone. Another thing to consider is not just how it looks like you're finished, but how it is going to look in a year. It's a real shame to have to rip up flooring, but I've done it more than once due to homeowners trying to save a buck.

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

If you are planning to do it yourself and want it to turn out nice, make sure u put down some plywood ontop of the existing floor first, snap chalk lines on the joists, and buy lots of screws. I put a screw about every 5 inches on everyjoist to make sure I would never have squeeks. You will need a compressor, air stapler, mitre saw, table saw, and basic hand tools. First bit will take forever but once you get the hang of it its not too hard. Ill try to find the pics of the job I did and put them up. Also make sure you have a humidifier in your furnace, and let the hardwood sit in the house for a few days with the boxes open before you install it.

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

I've done 3 sizeable hardwood flooring jobs within the last 5-6 years. It definitely isn't rocket science but you need the right tools, patience, and time. Don't cut corners, take your time and do things properly or you won't be satisfied with the final product.

The job is 50% preparation and 50% patience/finishing. Don't rush through it if you want a proper look in the end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast