Quantcast
New BMW owner looking for info - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New BMW owner looking for info

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

Default New BMW owner looking for info

Hello...I just recently purchased a 1995 BMW 325is...it is my first BMW...love the car but was wondering about the following:

-where to go for regular service (need oil change and the reverse lights will not come on)

-synthetic oil? premium gas I assume?

-The cluster that displays exterior temp etc...(not sure what its called) the LCD lights are mostly not working so I cannot read anything on there hardly...where should I get that fixed?

-I want to get the angel eyes headlights...where should I get that? If ebay, which ones are best?

-Is there anything else I should know about Bimmers (aside from the pricey parts lol) i.e. little tips such as maintenance flushes etc...

Thanks all

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Hi, you may want to take it to Calgary BMW, and have them do an "Inspection 1" on the car. It'll cost you about $400, but they spend about 3 hours going over the car with a fine tooth comb, and listing any faults it may have, As well as what parts are faulty and what it will cost (for them to fix it)
    In that $400 is an oil change & fuel cleaner addictive they use. They are fucking expensive towards even simple repairs, as even just replacing the brake pads (with regular pads) were $395 on my car. I dont personally get my car serviced by them, as I dont see the point of paying out the ass for non-critcal repairs. On big items such as transmission diagnosis or pulling certain codes, then sure... but I just go to this guy from Align auto. Hes fantastic with German and other european cars. 454-2944. Hes in the SE, right in Midnapore (off of Banister road specifically). He typically does the same said repairs for about 1/5th cost, and he honestly knows his stuff... very honest guy thats bent over backwards to help me numerous times.

Yes, use Premium fuel, and yes use Synthetic. You dont HAVE to, but its your car, how long you want it to last is at your discression.
    Best to do some research on your engine, and find out what works best for it and what not. For the M54 engine (what I have) it turns out the fuel system constantly measures the octane rating and adjusts its timing accordingly, so I can away with 85-95 octane.

Also, within that Inspection 1, they can tell you if your car has a microfilter or not. If it does, then that needs to be changed each oil change interval. Its best if the dealership does it since most " Minute lube " type places dont know about that.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 06-12-2008 at 05:50 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2014 Tundra 1794 + 2016 X1

Congrats on the car!

I loved my E36!!

As for maintenance, do what Graham suggested.

As for the On Board Computer (OBC) in your center console, you can find some of them on Ebay.

For Angel Eyes, check out some dedicated BMW forums like bimmerforums.com, they have registered vendors that sell them. I believe there is a brand called "Depot" that made some good angel eye/projector head lamps for your car.

PIX!!!

My Ride
    F32

Default Re: New BMW owner looking for info

Originally posted by CCM Pro
    Hello...I just recently purchased a 1995 BMW 325is...it is my first BMW...love the car but was wondering about the following:

-where to go for regular service (need oil change and the reverse lights will not come on)

-The cluster that displays exterior temp etc...(not sure what its called) the LCD lights are mostly not working so I cannot read anything on there hardly...where should I get that fixed?

-I want to get the angel eyes headlights...where should I get that? If ebay, which ones are best?

-Is there anything else I should know about Bimmers (aside from the pricey parts lol) i.e. little tips such as maintenance flushes etc...

Thanks all
    I would take it to Sheni's Auto Trend. He advertises on the forum. He does amazing work for alot of guys on this forum and will cost you less than the local dealerships

Default Re: Re: New BMW owner looking for info

Originally posted by Clanche

I would take it to Sheni's Auto Trend. He advertises on the forum. He does amazing work for alot of guys on this forum and will cost you less than the local dealerships
    +1, really nice guy. My 540 was running rough, took it to him, he fixed EVERYTHING. The car feels brand new.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Sweet I'm going to try him out next. Thanks.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    E36 M3

Another nod for Sheni - been going there for about 4 years and never had a reason to complain. Stands behind is work. Top notch all 'round.

I think because he is a sponsor I can post his phone number, 243-3232.

My Ride
    E90 M3

You can do oil changes yourself really easily.

www.bimmerdiy.com click in the E36 DIY's, and look for oil change instructions. They're very comprehensive and of course you always trust yourself more than other people to touch your car...

As for the OBC (the thing that can display temperature), it has a bunch of light bulbs that are replaceable in it. You don't need to replace the whole unit.

www.realoem.com

Use that site to look up any parts you need.

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

perfect thanks!

My Ride
    ACS 328is

Default Re: New BMW owner looking for info

Welcome to the bmw community. and congrats on ur new ride.

Regular service you can go to Shenis Auto trend located behind macloud trail on the SE side and 42 ave.

I recommend Lubromoly, Mobil 1, Amsoil, red line (kinda expensive)
    U can purcahse lubromoly @ tunerworks. www.tunerworks.com

I highyl recommend use of premium gas but i dont think it is required. u can use 89 octane at the least.

the LEDs are either broken or the flex cable or w/e is in there is separated from the display. you would have to take it apart and fix it. i dont think it be very difficult.

purchase Euro ellipsoides. www.ddmtuning.com
    has a great package deal on angel eyes and very cheap ellipsoids. you could go with Depo's ellipsoids or the Project 36's.
    The Projector 36's are newer version and has a nice cut off but some people dont like it cuz its got a bit more chrome than the normal ellipsoids.

you can get the real deal OEM markets from ZKW or BOSCHE.
    both will cost u a lot more money than knock off brands such as ddm or depo's.

You should check:
    if ur car has a new radiator ( these can leak at high mileage)
    Check waterpump (if ur mechanical fan is shakey or lose, ur bearing is done), thermostat housing should be aluminum,
    new thermostat. check all bushings and ball joints, check RTAB (rear trailer arm bushing), allignments,
    do regular oil changes at most 9000 km. Ide probably do a coolant flush on your car.

if you decide to upgrade your shocks be sure to get upgraded shock mounts.

Thats all i can think of for now. enjoy!

Thanks all
    www.projecttechnik.com

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

right on thanks for all the info! I will look into all that and see if I can get the headlights, the OBC fixed, and check the radiator, waterpump and thermostat.

As soon as I get it detailed here I will post some pics too...its pretty nice...has the M5 rims, tint, clear corner lights and markers...bad stereo system I need to upgrade asap as well...although I dont want subs, just 4 good speakers really.

My Ride
    ACS 328is

right on thanks for all the info! I will look into all that and see if I can get the headlights, the OBC fixed, and check the radiator, waterpump and thermostat.

As soon as I get it detailed here I will post some pics too...its pretty nice...has the M5 rims, tint, clear corner lights and markers...bad stereo system I need to upgrade asap as well...although I dont want subs, just 4 good speakers really.
    you can get a HK upgrade from the E36 M3's
    consists of the front 5.25
    rear 6x9
    and the amp. you can get some tweeters n mids if u like but imo, they dont make that big of a difference.

that will help big time.
    next off, get a head unit. u can find soem C43 or CD43's to get better clarity in your sound.

increase your treble and ur sound will be better too.
    www.projecttechnik.com

nm
    Last edited by e36bmw///; 03-05-2018 at 02:43 PM.

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

Originally posted by DC328is

you can get a HK upgrade from the E36 M3's
    consists of the front 5.25
    rear 6x9
    and the amp. you can get some tweeters n mids if u like but imo, they dont make that big of a difference.

that will help big time.
    next off, get a head unit. u can find soem C43 or CD43's to get better clarity in your sound.

increase your treble and ur sound will be better too.
    Is it better to get the HK upgraded ones or just buy aftermarkets? I already have an aftermarket deck that came with the car (Pioneer)...there is a 4 channel Alpine amp too that came with it but is not hooked up...also I looked online and it said all 4 speakers for this car is 5.25's...are you sure its 6X9?

My Ride
    ACS 328is

yes i am positive.

ide just buy some used Harmon Kardon speakers from M3's.

you could try aftermarket stuff but its a lot more work with all the wiring etc...

the m3 system is just bolt ons.
    front are 5.25 rear are 6x9. make sure u get the HK amp.

I mean. if ur on low budget and want to improve ur sound system this is the way to go.

if u got the cash go for full ICE if youd like with some TypeR/S subs. check out
    www.projecttechnik.com. we have an entire thread about sound system.
    www.projecttechnik.com

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

OK I will do that then...get the upgraded HK's...where is the best place to find that? Ebay?

Also I have an aftermarket deck not the factory unit, does that cause problems for this??