Quantcast
Decent PC? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Decent PC?

Default Decent PC?

My current PC is really old and I am having problems with it. So I think I will just buy a new one. This is what I have come up with. I want to spend $800 or less, anything I should change?

Antec - Three Hundred Versatile Mini Tower Gamer Case $59.95

Intel - Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 3.00GHz w/ 6MB Cache $209.95

Gigabyte - GA-73PVM-S2H w/ Geforce 7100, DualDDR2 800, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16, HDMI, DVI-HDCP $89.95

OCZ - 2GB PC2-6400 EL Platinum XTC Edition Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB) $59.95

Hitachi - 500GB Deskstar T7K500 SATA II w/ 16MB Cache $79.95

Corsair - TX 650W Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan $95.95

Assemble Hardware $40.00

Total $667.50

Now I don't really play computer games but I might get a decent video card as well to try COD4 and Crysis.

So maybe this ... BFG GeForce 9600 GT OC2 512MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out $144.95

All of these prices are from Memory Express. I checked online sites like NCIX but don't want to deal with shipping. I won't save that much.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

get a better mother board. I think that will be your weakpoint, especially considering you are running lower end graphics.

Also Tower will probably come with a PS.

dont forget a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, SATA cable, OS, etc.

should be alright for the budget
    Cos...

That case doesn't come with PS. I like it because it has 2 huge fans.

I have everything else except a SATA cable .. would that be for the HDD? .. if so wouldn't the HDD come with one.

As for Motherboard .. I'm not sure what's good .. would this be ok?

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19544(ME).aspx

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

yeah, some cases dont, I should have gone and looked it up sorry.

Yeah the SATA cable is for the HDD and no they dont come with them. However your MB might.

personally I dont like Gigabyte boards, check this one out. But like i said I am Asus bias.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...19544(ME).aspx

note: one thing is that you actually have to type the [ url ] [ /url ] on mem x products. Beyonds software cant figure out where the URL is on memx sites
    Cos...

My Ride
    Grimace

You could save some money if you got the antec sonata III as it comes with a power supply

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

My Ride
    Wheel Barrow

yeah your going to need a good motherboard
    when i was doing mine, which actually ended up to 900 bucks
    and yours is better heh

when i was going for it, i thought upgrade in mind, get a mobo that you can add new things to, if you get a old one its highly likely to run out of support and to get the new to come products, you'd have to do a pretty much whole new system

and i think you'd be better assembling yourself
    thats a 40 dollar save which you can use to upgrade part of the computer
    its not that hard at all
    they do the cpu on mobo so all you need to do is put the mobo in and connect the wires pretty much

as for video card, they are usually pain in the ass and the ones that end up making the price bump up, thats your choice though, just get something decent if you dont think you'll be using it much

good luck

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Go a little less on the processor, more on the motherboard (stay away from onboard video and gigabyte boards). More on the ram.

Also, why would you need assembly hardware? cases come with hardware. You wont need that much cooling for the small amount of stuff you are running unless you plan on overclocking, in which case, dont bother with the case you want. Get a thermaltake or something with proper air flow. (more fans does not mean more cooling always). Not to mention you will NOT need that big of a power source for a 9 series nvidia card and board.

I've been building custom computers for as long as I can remember. for the price range, this is the build you probably should go with... or something similar.

ANTEC - Sonata III Quiet Super Mini Tower w/ EarthWatts 500W, eSATA

Intel - Core™2 Duo Processor E7200 2.53GHz w/ 3MB Cache

Asus - P5K w/ DualDDR2 1066, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E x16 CrossFire

Mushkin - HP2-6400 High Performance DDR2 SDRAM (5-4-4-12), 4GB Dual Pack

SEAGATE - 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II w/ NCQ, 32MB Cache

Samsung - SH-S203B 20X SpeedPlus™ DVD-Writer, SATA, Black

eVGA - e-GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out

Sub Total $759.65
    IPR Warranty $0.00
    Shipping $0.00
    GST 5% $38.00
    Total $797.65

This setup is probably the best bang for your buck. Keeping in mind in the past I have been completely against anything EVGA. However with their new contracts with nvidia they own the official design to nvidia, now producing better, more reliable cards, for cheaper. I just recently bought one and love it. They used to make absolute shit before their new lineup.

Just use onboard sound, it should be good enough for what you are using it for. The case and motherboard will come with enough Sata cables and hardware to put it all together.
    Last edited by DeeK; 06-12-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks for all the input.

I think I will go with yours DeeK. I actually wanted to go with that case but my cousin told me I should have atleast 550W but I guess not.

For $10 more would you got with the
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI w/ DualDDR2 800 ,Video, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E x16, HDMI because it has HDMI?

Also I don't need a dvd writer because I have 2 .. so I was thinking I would go up to the E8400 ... this is a one time buy so I don't mind spending a bit more .. will there be a noticeable difference between the E7200 and E8400

Total would $834.45 with the CPU and MB changed.

I wanted them to assemble it because I have never done it myself. I probably could but since they put the CPU and MB together, I will probably just get my friend to help me put it together.

Also the Asus P5E-VM has 1 IDE Connector which I could use for the HDD I am currently using. The other MB doesn't show that it has any.
    Last edited by beecue; 06-12-2008 at 08:59 PM.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I don't want to bust any bubbles but that gigabyte board is rated as the best board under 100 bones on pretty much every site. HDMI onboard means nothing because im pretty sure you will end up getting a video card within a week, Onboard video should never be used for gaming anyways

Side note Memory express mounts the CPU and the ram for free so if you can screw in your mobo down and plug in a few cables you can save yourself 40 bucks.

Remember the gigabyte board also offers both quad/dual core setups and has a shitload of backup features if your a rookie, and it slic table enabled which means no paying for vista

I must also however say im partial because I hate ATI chipsets.
    Last edited by Kavy; 06-12-2008 at 09:06 PM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by beecue
    Thanks for all the input.

I think I will go with yours DeeK. I actually wanted to go with that case but my cousin told me I should have atleast 550W but I guess not.

For $10 more would you got with the
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI w/ DualDDR2 800 ,Video, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, PCI-E x16, HDMI because it has HDMI?

Also I don't need a dvd writer because I have 2 .. so I was thinking I would go up to the E8400 ... this is a one time buy so I don't mind spending a bit more .. will there be a noticeable difference between the E7200 and E8400

Total would $834.45 with the CPU and MB changed.

I wanted them to assemble it because I have never done it myself. I probably could but since they put the CPU and MB together, I will probably just get my friend to help me put it together.

Also the Asus P5E-VM has 1 IDE Connector which I could use for the HDD I am currently using. The other MB doesn't show that it has any.
    You definently wont need 550W to power all that.
    No point in spending the extra $10. HDMI on a motherboard is NOT worth it. It just makes tons of problems. Along with extra problems from onboard video conflicting with a video card. Even if you turn off the onboard it still causes problems sometimes.

Not only that but (without checking for sure) I don't think that board supports the E7200, or E8400 simply because those processors need a 1333mhz bus speed. The P5K is 1333 compatible. Stick with the P5K. I have it in 4 of my machines. It's a GREAT board.

For the processor, sure if you can afford to go higher, then do so. I was simply giving you the best bang for the buck, if you have an extra 50 to spend then yes, go to the E8200 or E8400. (if you are gonna spend extra money to get the E8200, you might as well go with the E8400 for the extra $10.)

As for installation. Pay me gas money and I'll come do it for you. Or bring it to my place. It's ridiculously easy. I'll even teach you how to do it so you never have to worry about it again.

As for IDE, yes the P5K board does have an IDE slot on it. (two actually). and four SATA slots.

Originally posted by Kavy
    I don't want to bust any bubbles but that gigabyte board is rated as the best board under 100 bones on pretty much every site. HDMI onboard means nothing because im pretty sure you will end up getting a video card within a week, Onboard video should never be used for gaming anyways
    I'm sure it is rated one of the best, but like I said, I've been building computers since as long as I can remember. everytime someone asks me to use a gigabyte board i try to talk them out of it. Simply because, 90% of the gigabyte boards I have ever used have had nothing but problems. Some minor annoyances, some major issues requiring replacement. I'm sure when they work right they do perform slightly better, but for the reliability and worryfree piece of mind I'd rather avoid them.

Once again, just my experiences with them.

i was thinking perhaps the 8800 will give u better fps than the 9600 (which i believe is just a newer version of the 8600)

i vote p5k as well, built 3 with that series as well

i don't have any gripes with reliability here with gigabyte, and actually i've had to bring a p5k board to rma once

systems with onboard hdmi i've built actually played pretty nice with additional cards, hdmi to TV, and gaming on the computer monitor, so far 2 setups both with 3 monitors have worked out well. this was already the trend in asia last year, many places were advertising amd X2's all with hdmi on board for about $4xx (whole tower).

the only problem i've had with hdmi was installing ati cards. if you have realtek onboard (typical) and you install the hi-def audio drivers from ati cards with hdmi it takes over the realtek audio drivers

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by DeeK

You definently wont need 550W to power all that.
    No point in spending the extra $10. HDMI on a motherboard is NOT worth it. It just makes tons of problems. Along with extra problems from onboard video conflicting with a video card. Even if you turn off the onboard it still causes problems sometimes.

Not only that but (without checking for sure) I don't think that board supports the E7200, or E8400 simply because those processors need a 1333mhz bus speed. The P5K is 1333 compatible. Stick with the P5K. I have it in 4 of my machines. It's a GREAT board.

For the processor, sure if you can afford to go higher, then do so. I was simply giving you the best bang for the buck, if you have an extra 50 to spend then yes, go to the E8200 or E8400. (if you are gonna spend extra money to get the E8200, you might as well go with the E8400 for the extra $10.)

As for installation. Pay me gas money and I'll come do it for you. Or bring it to my place. It's ridiculously easy. I'll even teach you how to do it so you never have to worry about it again.

As for IDE, yes the P5K board does have an IDE slot on it. (two actually). and four SATA slots.

I'm sure it is rated one of the best, but like I said, I've been building computers since as long as I can remember. everytime someone asks me to use a gigabyte board i try to talk them out of it. Simply because, 90% of the gigabyte boards I have ever used have had nothing but problems. Some minor annoyances, some major issues requiring replacement. I'm sure when they work right they do perform slightly better, but for the reliability and worryfree piece of mind I'd rather avoid them.

Once again, just my experiences with them.
    The P5K is a board I usually sell with basic systems. It's a very nice board, especially at that price point, but I just want to give a different perspective on how things are right now.

Asus is going downhill. Seriously, when I was at MemX we saw a lot of Asus boards come back or not even leave because of the number of problems they had. Gigabyte, on the other hand, has been great - in my personal build I had trouble with an Asus board and ended up switching to a Gigabyte one for more money, which was definitely worth it. Right now, Asus is suing Gigabyte because of claims that the latter made about the former's boards. The problem is, Asus has yet to refute the claims made by Gigabyte that their P5K (I believe) line of boards does not save energy as well as Asus says they do.

Believe me, the front line of this industry sees it everyday - Asus is slipping, and Gigabyte is rising.

By the way, make sure you thoroughly consider getting the IPR for your system. Last I checked, there were close to 3 dozen systems on the service shelf at the NW MemX alone waiting to be looked at - computer problems are common and the IPR is a great way to make sure you really are making a "one time purchase."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by dragonone
    i was thinking perhaps the 8800 will give u better fps than the 9600 (which i believe is just a newer version of the 8600)
    Yes, of course the 8800 is better, but I was recommending the 9600 for bang for the buck, obviously if money wasnt an issue I would be recommending the 8800. As far as the 8 series goes, its high end stuff. the 9 series drops in power, just as the Nvidia 4 series did, then thereafter releasing the lower end FX series. Same kind of deal. It's the decent Economy series.

Originally posted by HyperZell

The P5K is a board I usually sell with basic systems. It's a very nice board, especially at that price point, but I just want to give a different perspective on how things are right now.

Asus is going downhill. Seriously, when I was at MemX we saw a lot of Asus boards come back or not even leave because of the number of problems they had. Gigabyte, on the other hand, has been great - in my personal build I had trouble with an Asus board and ended up switching to a Gigabyte one for more money, which was definitely worth it. Right now, Asus is suing Gigabyte because of claims that the latter made about the former's boards. The problem is, Asus has yet to refute the claims made by Gigabyte that their P5K (I believe) line of boards does not save energy as well as Asus says they do.

Believe me, the front line of this industry sees it everyday - Asus is slipping, and Gigabyte is rising.

By the way, make sure you thoroughly consider getting the IPR for your system. Last I checked, there were close to 3 dozen systems on the service shelf at the NW MemX alone waiting to be looked at - computer problems are common and the IPR is a great way to make sure you really are making a "one time purchase."
    The P5K is indeed a very nice board, as I said, I have used it in almost every one of my recent computer builds. zero problems. Yes, I have heard Asus is slipping and people are promoting companies I havent even heard of before, saying they are the next big thing. etc etc. but like I said, in my experiences, Asus boards have NEVER failed on me. and of all the other brands I have used, many boards have crapped out just after the 90 day warranty, leaving the consumer responsible for defective equipment. The IPR is great though. Expensive, but worth it usually. Consider it insurance.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Actually, I completely forgot about this. but when MemEx did a free quickmount for me last time, the P5K board was completely dead. They replaced it at the shop no questions asked. so yes, In my time I have seen one defective asus board. But it was quickly recognized as broke and replaced immediately.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Actually, I completely forgot about this. but when MemEx did a free quickmount for me last time, the P5K board was completely dead. They replaced it at the shop no questions asked. so yes, In my time I have seen one defective asus board. But it was quickly recognized as broke and replaced immediately.
    It's actually quite common, and not native to ASUS. There are more DOA boards across all brands than you might think.

However, like you said, MemX is great about that sort of thing. The real problem for consumers is 2 years down the line, when boards are electrically worn in and true reliability comes out.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

Door crashers tomorrow

SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...12927(ME).aspx

eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...19670(ME).aspx

Should I get these instead of the ones I was going to get .. the HDD is 16MB Cache .. the other is 32 .. does it make a difference?

Also is any of the memory good? .. or should I stick with the Mushkin?

My Ride
    Toyota

i bought a gigabyte motherboard a few years ago
    and ill never buy another one

after the 1 year warranty was up the board died
    nice reliability

Yes, of course the 8800 is better, but I was recommending the 9600 for bang for the buck, obviously if money wasnt an issue I would be recommending the 8800. As far as the 8 series goes, its high end stuff. the 9 series drops in power, just as the Nvidia 4 series did, then thereafter releasing the lower end FX series. Same kind of deal. It's the decent Economy series.
    but the 8800 is only ~$150 on many websites...

^^ so should I get that 8800 tomorrow that I listed above?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast