Quantcast
RC Fucking Airplanes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: RC Fucking Airplanes

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default RC Fucking Airplanes

GAH.

So I went to PM Hobbycraft by the old MemEx location in the NE and bought a Cessna 182 Skylane for $169. A pretty basic PC plane, right, and the guy said it'd be a good plane to learn on.

Well, first flight it went up about four feet then fucking nosedived and deathed. The nose broke clean off, can't even repair the damn thing.

What's a good plane to start with that can take a mild impact? I can't fucking believe I just pissed away $170.

My Ride
    Ho Train

yo the source (old radio shack) has rc planes for like 60 bucks that are good to learn on, and can take a beating.

Sounds like you need a park flyer that's flexible, not a wooden almost ready to fly model. Be glad it was only $170 and no time wasted. I'm building my first trainer by kit (nothing prebuilt), and I'm sure it will cost me way more than that when I crash it, let alone the time spent initially building it.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

My dad (currently away for next 2 weeks) has a bunch of planes he wants to get rid of cheap. He was really into the whole thing a while back, but stopped doing it all together. Got a bunch of planes and parts at home. PM me if you are interested, he would be more then happy to sell you anytihng you want for cheap.

http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplanes/hcaa28.html

I'm picking up one of these myself. Watch the video. These are made for beginners and can take quite the beating. Plus there's no props or anything that you can damage/break off if you put it in a nose dive.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Default Re: RC Fucking Airplanes

Originally posted by A790
    GAH.

So I went to PM Hobbycraft by the old MemEx location in the NE and bought a Cessna 182 Skylane for $169. A pretty basic PC plane, right, and the guy said it'd be a good plane to learn on.

Well, first flight it went up about four feet then fucking nosedived and deathed. The nose broke clean off, can't even repair the damn thing.

What's a good plane to start with that can take a mild impact? I can't fucking believe I just pissed away $170.
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/208804/r-c-airplanes/

Check out this thread. I bought 2 Hobbyzone supercubs. Awsome planes easy to repair. Part are super cheap and pretty much anything can be fixed. They were on for 139.99. My first few flights didn't go well either but you get used to the controls fast.

Another plane that is good to start with is the Easystar. Prop in the back very very duarable.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm

Don't get discouraged. Takes some time to get the hang of it and once you do it'll be worth it.

get a helicopter

My Ride

Originally posted by Cooked Rice

I'm picking up one of these myself. Watch the video. These are made for beginners and can take quite the beating. Plus there's no props or anything that you can damage/break off if you put it in a nose dive.
    Hey man, thanks for the heads up on this one! I just called a hobby shop near my appt in London and they have one, so I'm going to buy it when I get back. Hopefully this one will last more than seven seconds of flight time

Originally posted by Aleks
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/208804/r-c-airplanes/

Check out this thread. I bought 2 Hobbyzone supercubs. Awsome planes easy to repair. Part are super cheap and pretty much anything can be fixed. They were on for 139.99. My first few flights didn't go well either but you get used to the controls fast.

Another plane that is good to start with is the Easystar. Prop in the back very very duarable.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm

Don't get discouraged. Takes some time to get the hang of it and once you do it'll be worth it.
    Yea, I'm just pissed that literally got eight seconds of flight time. I'm hoping my next purchase works out a bit better. If this other plane I just looked into doesn't pan out I'll try those Easystar ones :P

My Ride
    1989 civic si/90 civic si/78 civic/79civic

Default rc aircrafts

I hear yha man I just bought one myself a couple of weeks ago at pm hobby craft the( firebird Phantom) and I got about 30 seconds of flight time and it nose dived and shattered into 3 peices what a waste of money..

i learned on a nitro trainer... it was expensive but the kit included EVERYTHING i needed to get going... id be willing to sell it if your interested with everything you need to get going (PM me if ur interested)

the trainer is designed so that if you land funny its fairly easy to repair.

what i did to learn is i joined an RC club... (Westwinds RC) and they have really pro guys who are able to train you to fly them properly... it was really really interesting. the remote hooks together with a pros remote so that if you screw up they can take control of the plane and save it from being wrecked.

they also have their own field which is designated to fly at so you wont get in any trouble with the cops for flying it.

i use a .4 nitro (gas) engine in the trainer and it was plenty of power for what i wanted to do... the plane is a high wing design which makes it REALLY stable and easy to fly... if you let go of the controls... it will pretty much fly straight and if the engine cuts out it is still controlable in a glide.

it is pretty time intensive... i dedicated a couple hours on most weekends to learning... but once you get the pilots certification you can go out and fly whenever you want and it never expires.

maybe this is a little bit more hardcore than what you were looking into... but it really was a lot of fun.

EDIT: PM me if you have any questions or whatever.

My Ride

Thanks for the heads up dude. My mother has 10 acres of land just past Chestermere that I was going to use to fly the plane... you know, before it broke into two pieces.

I'm going to pick up a learners plane and see if that will survive better than the last one. Fuck, even if I could get one that could be repaired that'd be sqweet.

DONT GO TO PM HOBBYCRAFT!!!!

Yes I needed to yell to get that point across. Head down to Action Hobby in the SE and have a chat with the owners there. The prices are easily 30-40% cheaper than PM and the selection is top notch.

To give you an idea I spent over 1000 crashing my RC heli before I could fly it comfortably.

Originally posted by QuasarCav
    DONT GO TO PM HOBBYCRAFT!!!!

Yes I needed to yell to get that point across. Head down to Action Hobby in the SE and have a chat with the owners there. The prices are easily 30-40% cheaper than PM and the selection is top notch.

To give you an idea I spent over 1000 crashing my RC heli before I could fly it comfortably.
    lol... niice... i spent maybe... 50... i kept shredding the propellors when i landed

i bent the landing gear once too... but they just bent back... and the OS .40 engine NEVER gave me ANY trouble... its a freaking tank.
    Last edited by Destinova403; 06-16-2008 at 09:30 PM.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche

Just curious.. What about buying the computer simulator to learn before you spend $1000 in damages? lol

Originally posted by zarge
    Just curious.. What about buying the computer simulator to learn before you spend $1000 in damages? lol

So I can be unprepared for what really happens when you get it in the air?

Originally posted by zarge
    yes and no... the RC plane simulators cost a nice chunk... you may as well get a good trainer plane... they offer a lot more realism than a simulator and there are so many other things to learn like prepping the plane and the checks and stuff.

IMO... if you arent going to join a club and get a pro to teach you to fly... than a simulator would be best... but if you are going to join a club and get on a buddy-box with an experienced pilot then there isnt a lot of risk and you can learn to fly on a real plane... also once you learn to fly... the simulator becomes useless, whereas a good trainer plane can always be flown.

as i said... check out some of the local clubs... westwinds is FANTASTIC... the guys are REALLY nice and always try and help out... and the annual dues arent exactly wallet-breaking... especially for free 1-on-1 lessons.

IMO thats the best way to learn the ins and outs of RC flying.

im of course talking about flying gas/nitro or jet planes... if you are going to go for electric... you might be best to pick up a cheap plane and learn from trial and error.

Just on a side note, I would watch out for flying in public areas. I think it may be illegal. The only reason I point this out, is if you end up crashing and hurting someone you could be in for a world of hurt.

The RC club fields require that you have a valid license (Except while learning) and with that I think usually comes insurance for an extremely cheap price. I think insurance is provided by a group called MAAC (Model Aeronautics Association of Canada)

My dad flys at the CRAMS airfield in the south east. Its a pretty good field, paved runways and a trailer for the winter time when its cold. They also hold things called "fun flys" which are days open to the public where you can go out and see what they do. Not sure how often those happen any more.

Sounds like your mothers place would be pretty good with 10 acres, however you would want to make sure that the grass you are going to land on is cut short.

For cheap planes, take a look at this picture:
    http://www.crams.ca/images/Funflymay2006/DSC_1825.JPG

That plane is just made out of plastic down pipe and corrugated plastic. If you crash, the electronics will probably hold up the best and its simple enough that you can just epoxy the pieces back together for the rest of the day. That plane is probably not the best idea to be learning on, its more of an aerobatic plane that goes pretty fast and is not a beginners plane. If you got your license and started hanging around there a bit, I am sure that you could talk some of the guys into making one for you.

My Ride
    '98.5 BMW 328is

Originally posted by forced14
    Just on a side note, I would watch out for flying in public areas. I think it may be illegal. The only reason I point this out, is if you end up crashing and hurting someone you could be in for a world of hurt.
    I don't think the smaller electric planes are illegal. That is why they are sometimes called "Park Flyers".

You still (obviously) need to be careful though.

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Originally posted by Cooked Rice

A790,

Did you end up picking up one of these yet? I am thinking about it too and just wondering what your experience with it is.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

a friend of mine bought a ducted fan kyosho, the one that looks like an A-6 Intruder, it's pretty durable considering the nose dives i've seen happen to it. maybe it has something to do with the round nose his first R/C plane, hasn't broken it, yet

But ducted fan so he only flies around where there is at least half a foot of grass, no landing gears and you hand launch it.

heres a
    vid