Quantcast
Ford to convert some truck plants to make Euro Ford vehicles for sale here - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ford to convert some truck plants to make Euro Ford vehicles for sale here

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Destinova403

here you go

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/15/i...ction-by-30-t/
    Well all that shows is new model sales increases over the outgoing model sales and that they are getting crushed by the Japanese competition.

My Ride
    I like. :)

Union members had been barricading GM's headquarters since June 4, the day after the company announced it would close the truck plant in the city, putting 2,600 people out of work....

The automaker says higher gas prices and steep declines in truck sales are forcing it to close the truck plant by the end of 2009. GM says U.S. truck sales in May were down 39 per cent from the same time in 2007.
    To bad GM can't convert their plants as easily as Ford. These union workers bitch and yell to the government to save their jobs creating a product that people don't want. Yeah it sucks but WTF are they expecting? They can't make people buy something they don't want.

Originally posted by tentacles
    You can already buy the European Focus here. They are selling just as well as the Saturn Astra (read: no one wants them). I guess it just doesn't have that Blue Oval prestige?
    Volvo has never been a massive seller for whatever reason with any of it's models compared to Honda or even VW. As sweet as the C30 is, it only has 3-doors wheres for the same price you can find 5-doors from other makers -- not many people want a 'premium' 3-door. As for the Astra, another good car, I think it's still relatively unknown and again it's under a less known badge. It's too early to judge the Astra it can only increase in publicity and sales from here. But had it been a Pontiac it would probably have better sales to date.

Originally posted by treg50

As for the Astra, another good car, I think it's still relatively unknown and again it's under a less known badge. It's too early to judge the Astra it can only increase in publicity and sales from here. But had it been a Pontiac it would probably have better sales to date.
    the bigegst problem saturn is having is supply... the car is not being sold to fleet customers and because of the US dollar being so low (the astra is built in belgium) it costs a LOT to bring it over, which makes the car more expensive than its competition.

biggest problem with the Astra is supply... with a good supply and proper marketing it will be successful.

My Ride
    Axis powers

that euro civic looks handicapped
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Originally posted by Destinova403

the bigegst problem saturn is having is supply... the car is not being sold to fleet customers and because of the US dollar being so low (the astra is built in belgium) it costs a LOT to bring it over, which makes the car more expensive than its competition.

biggest problem with the Astra is supply... with a good supply and proper marketing it will be successful.
    +1

We looked at the Astra but they had only about 3 in stock. To get one the way we wanted it would have taken a month or two if I remember correctly.

Astra is a fairly good car, practical, good on gas, could use more power and the seats suck.

Originally posted by treg50
    These union workers bitch and yell to the government to save their jobs creating a product that people don't want. Yeah it sucks but WTF are they expecting? They can't make people buy something they don't want.
    hehe... you could almost say that about GM's entire product line.

My Ride
    A Hobo

Oh it would be really nice to see north america experience european ford ..

I've been a fan of ford uk my entire life . The north american ford focus was the biggest let down i've witnessed by ford . The SVT is great, given that it's a rebadged UK ST170.

But ppl always comment on my SVTF . And say "Wow that's a nice domestic" .It's impossible/difficult to explain that it's an imported rebadged ST170 . And that Ford UK is a total different beast, etc etc ..

I also have an XR4TI, and i receive a lot of european comments, until i tell them it's Ford . Then their perspective changes . Ford in NA has damaged their name and done a real job at hiding their UK presence from NA's

Maybe Ford NA finally woke up and realized what Ford UK is doing right . Maybe they looked at their income statements and said "Wow!"

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by tentacles
    You can already buy the European Focus here. They are selling just as well as the Saturn Astra (read: no one wants them). I guess it just doesn't have that Blue Oval prestige?

It's not as if the Japanese are any different. Pretty much everything Honda/Toyota sells in North America except for niche and luxury models is made in North America, FOR North America. Everyone knows this and one would HOPE Alan Mullaly knows this too. The Japanese companies are just better at making North American cars. They need to be, because the Japanese car market is going down the tubes fast and they can't compete with the Europeans in Europe. North America is their best market.

the back end of the focus is much better than the volvo's, also the Focus is turbo AWD 5-spd
    Cos...

also the Focus is turbo AWD 5-spd
    No it's not. They are all FWD with 4 Sp auto, 5 sp manual, 6 sp maual or 6 sp DSG. and both the Volvo and the Focus have the same engines, including the 2.5l T5. There has never been an AWD Focus aside from the Focus WRC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2