Quantcast
wage at helpdesk? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: wage at helpdesk?

My Ride
    Ev0

Yeah the higher amounts (around $50K year) are SUPPOSED to be more technical support helpdesk. Lower amounts, in the $30K/year I would have thought would be more call center type job which does not require IT knowledge really. Now I know for a fact that people do get hired for IT helpdesk jobs, get paid the bigger salary, and wind up doing very little IT support and basically act like a call center and just route calls to other people/departments to fix the issue.

PS: I'm not bitter, really....

My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX4

Originally posted by BigBadVlad
    Yeah the higher amounts (around $50K year) are SUPPOSED to be more technical support helpdesk. Lower amounts, in the $30K/year I would have thought would be more call center type job which does not require IT knowledge really. Now I know for a fact that people do get hired for IT helpdesk jobs, get paid the bigger salary, and wind up doing very little IT support and basically act like a call center and just route calls to other people/departments to fix the issue.

PS: I'm not bitter, really....
    word, im working at a tech help desk now and havent seen one person since wednesday...plus im getting paid quite abit to sit here surfing beyond

I think it's time for a bump. I'm just curious... what are people making these days in Tier 2-3 support, or even as a entry level infrastructrure tech?

I know the help desk techs at our company are getting around $50K.

Help desk in call centers don't get paid much more the any of the service reps....at bigger companies with IT knowledge and requirements they make some decent cash.

My Ride
    changes every year

telus mobility starts their base rate for regular tech support at just shy of 19/hr and help desk is a buck more but by the time you get to help desk youll be making way more than that already, you cant just start out on helpdesk at TM.

My Ride
    changes every year

i should clarify that HD does have a different pay scale where say regular tech support tops out at 53k a year HD will top out at like 60k or something. (i dont know the exact #s)

My Ride
    z31

There's a difference between call center type help desk for shaw or telus versus help desk for an oil&gas company. Call center is customer service, help desk is reviewing tickets, setting up work stations, fighting fires, etc.

Call center probably won't care what degree you have (if any), but a help desk will probably want at least a diploma in something computer related.

The pay will be quite different as well, I'd say 35-50k/year to start. $15-25/hour.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Originally posted by boosted_Z

Call center probably won't care what degree you have (if any), but a help desk will probably want at least a diploma in something computer related.
    For you new people take this with a grain of salt. If you can prove you know what your talking about then a diploma means shit.

One thing in Calgary its who you know. Network, network, and more network. Also coming with who you know is where you have worked in the past. IMO start off as a contractor. One year contract is good money and most of all experience. Having at least one year at a huge oil & gas company will open up a lot of doors.

My Ride
    2006 HP

i work at a .com company and i got started at 43k for servicedesk

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

last I checked, starting wage for Telus Mobility tech support (DNA or Data and network assistance) was $19.55ish an hour, raise every 975 hours worked or about every 6 months, and 1 cost of living increase a year, so 3 total.

Getting to DNA's help desk starting wage is a bit different. depending on what your pay was in DNA, will determine your pay in HD, with the same frequency of raises. DNA help desk hourly pay caps out around $27 an hour.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride

When I started help desk 3 years ago, $22.xx/Hour + 4 hours OT for on call. Very rarely got any after hours calls.

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Help desk in call centers don't get paid much more the any of the service reps....at bigger companies with IT knowledge and requirements they make some decent cash.
    A neighbour on my street does shaw internet installs and he said he makes $47.50/hr.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 01-12-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    '03 ep3

Like the above poster said, help desk and call center have different definitions.

I work at a service desk for an O&G company supporting a wide range of things; network, desktop, and application support.

Been here just under 6months, started at 44k

My Ride
    Gas guzzler!

I work service desk at the local college, 60k this year although there has been a review this year and now its 45k for new starters.

It used to be really great work, now with budget cuts, etc it’s really becoming a pain in the ass, I keep a look out for other jobs, but they don't pay as good.

$33-$55K per year? I need to change fields. I wonder what sort of experience you need to get into help desk support?

My Ride
    Axis powers

^experience
    Sig nuked by mod.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2