Quantcast
Alberta Tenant Lease Laws - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Alberta Tenant Lease Laws

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

Default Alberta Tenant Lease Laws

Hey guys. I'm pretty new, yet not very new to renting out property. Everything has gone smoothly in the past because I've had some great tenants and I still have great tenants in some of my property.

I am face with a problem now though. I have a tenant who is owing me rent money and has broken my stove and fridge. In my lease, we have agreed that the tenants are responsible for everything including appliances but he's stating that it's against the law and I am responsible for replacement. They have been in my house for 3 months now.

Could you guys give me some advice and as well as a link to Alberta's law.

Thanks in advance

How to google: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...cies+act&meta=
    Actual government site: http://www.servicealberta.ca/Landlords_Tenants.cfm

I think your tenant's right about the appliances, but they can't be withholding the rent money because of that.

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

Turns out that if the appliance is damaged and LEFT unrepaired to the point that it raises health issues, then I AM liable. So if it is damaged but does not cause health problems then it's up to the lease agreement.

I have a new issue on hand now though. My tenants are now 1.5 months + utilities behind and I've issued them a eviction notice with the amounts owed in the later quarter of June giving them until the 14th of this month. To me that is ample time but the issue on hand is that they want me to keep their security deposit and let them stay for the rest of the month.
    I left a message on their phone(because they never pick up and never phone back) that I will not let them stay for the rest of the month because they owe so much. I am also not willing to let them turn the security deposit into rent because of some exterior damages(ie door torn off and screen missing).

I want to make sure that they leave on the 14th so is there anybody that I can contact that will enforce it? They really seem like the type that will just stay. I told them that I will be coming over in the last week of their stay to ensure that my property is not being damaged as they pack and help if they need it.

My Ride
    Lease

Serv-It Calgary Inc.
    (403) 244-4782

But sometimes it might be worth it to just wait it out and suck it up as the landlord (I know some "landlords" are making ends meet paycheque to paycheque too)... a whole lot better than tenants pulling asshole moves and costing you more grief, money and time.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Do a search on beyond. I posted info on this shit many times.

You can't kick them out. You have to go get a court order.

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

Thanks for the reply TomcoPRD. These people piss me off so much. The thing is that, they take advantage of my Mom because her english isn't 100% and shes so kind. I'm just sick of it. I want them blacklisted so nobody else could go through the trouble I have with them.

Could you also tell me a little bit about Serv-it?

My Ride
    Lease

Province-wide civil enforcement agency, specializing in tenant evictions, seizures and court document service. Free information seminars provided at your convenience. CAA members receive 10% discount on all of our services.

And by "Caa" that's Calgary Apartment Assoication

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

My Ride
    a tank

Originally posted by benyl
    Do a search on beyond. I posted info on this shit many times.

You can't kick them out. You have to go get a court order.
    sounds like tennets have alot of power here over the landlords. I know a lawyer who once told me that sure you can take them to court if things dont work out because both parties sign an agreement, but at the end of the day, really the land lord loses the most here as tennents rarely have the money to pay up even if you win the in court, and if they have the money to pay, they would never have any problem in the first place.

so I would suggest try to get them out as quick as possible in the most civilized way and hope they dont cause any additional grieve over property damage.

My uncle who was renting out a house once gave up completely because they trash the place and plugged the toilet with sement also destroyed all the walls. He end up selling the place at a loss.

renting sometimes just isnt for everyone :/ therefore it is always so critical to pick the right tenants, check their references and employment. .. and I know, even then you can still run into trouble. I guess this is the nature of the business
    Last edited by SilverRex; 07-04-2008 at 07:46 AM.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

Looks like things have gone way past what I like. I couldn't get them to leave last month and they have written me a letter tell me that they would leave by the first. Now I cannot get ahold of the main tennant and her boyfriend is saying that she'd be back on monday. I seriously want them out. Is there anything I can do? The only way I got any attention from them is when I posted a notice saying I'm gonna be entering the premises in 24hrs for renovations. Otherwise these ppl never answer the phone or answer the door.

I seriously want a get together to kick this guys ass since they owe a months worth of rent and utilities for 2 months. Utter BS
    Last edited by sgouki; 08-01-2008 at 08:53 PM.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Change the locks on the apt.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

Changing locks or kicking their ass sounds really good to me. But I'm trying to go the proper route. Do you know if I'm allowed to call the utility companies and stop power, gas, etc from going to that house? They're responsible for utilities and since they stopped paying they routed it back to my name so I would think that I can decline them utilities.

well the repairs fro a door I would think might be 300-400 if the frame is damaged too. so really do you want them out on the 14th, and keep 300 to fix the door or let them stay 2 more weeks and keep the complete deposit?

but either way you will need to contact serv-it or similar if they will not leave by request.

well if there was no agreement for you to supply utilities I would think you could have your services at that address disconected,

but are they deadbeats or are they really hard up due to things beyond their control? if they can't pay because it is beyond their control it might be the nice thing to do to let them finish the month and keep the deposit.
    Last edited by 88jbody; 08-03-2008 at 12:42 PM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I'll move them out for you for $1500.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

I will move them out for $750.

My Ride
    Modded Turbo Jetta

$375...now no one will beat that price!!!

My Ride
    2001 WHITE PRELUDE

So a landlord doesnt got much options to get the rent money, and if i change the lock with the tentants stuff in it will i get in trouble

My Ride
    Modded Turbo Jetta

there are quite a few rules you need to follow, once he has neglected to pay you should speak with a lawyer about why and if you are in the right by giving him notice of eviction.

**coles notes**

Speak with a lawyer as you could get fu***d kicking them out if they have a case.