Quantcast
Dual Clutch Transmission vs Manual - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual Clutch Transmission vs Manual

My Ride
    //M

DSG 100% of the way. You can't compare it with a manual in the GTI.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    bumpin an old thread...

anyone regret getting the DSG tranny over the 6spd manual? I'm gonna buy a GTI probably, and am having a hard time deciding between the two trannies.

I've test drove both, and liked 'em both! been driving stick for years... so not sure if I could drive a auto again
    Zero regrets. I have friends that got the GTI 6 speed that regrets not getting DSG.

I only drive manual whenever I use the Yaris. Lemme tell ya, I do NOT miss rowing gears and clutching at all. I find it to be a chore now driving manual.

One thing I have noticed is a driving behavior change ever since I've gotten DSG. It's so smooth in auto mode that I usually just relax in auto mode in a straight line/traffic, then click the downshift paddles to temporarily engage manual mode when a fun corner approaches, take the corner, then hold down upshift to force it back into auto mode. What this does is:

1. Save fuel... auto vs manual there's a 40% fuel economy difference. By using manual only in fun corners/when I need it, it doesn't waste as much gas.

2. Less attention. By driving inconspicuously most of the time and only driving harder for small sections, you never attract enough attention with the authorities, or folks that have nothing better to do than to report you to the cops to get you a RO ticket.

I don't do this in the SMG, as the auto mode sucks.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    bumpin an old thread...

anyone regret getting the DSG tranny over the 6spd manual? I'm gonna buy a GTI probably, and am having a hard time deciding between the two trannies.

I've test drove both, and liked 'em both! been driving stick for years... so not sure if I could drive a auto again
    Had my DSG for 1.5 years now. 0 regrets here too. That was my first auto as well. The manual trans in the GTI was not that great IMO.

I leave mine in D most of the time too, when driving in rush hour every day. Once things clear up the manual mode is a lot of fun and it even makes popping sounds on upshifts

I was in Santa Monica a year and a half ago and test drove an R32 w/ DSG.... Unbelievable!

That got me wanting to get an A3, but I never really did like how they looked. What's the reason behind VW not selling R32s in Canada?

My Ride
    Silverado

Last edited by dirtsniffer; 04-26-2015 at 03:38 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    40 % savings in fuel economy eh? are you on ludes?
    I was talking about manual mode in DSG vs auto mode in DSG. The auto mode in DSG (the D mode) favors fuel economy and saves about 40% fuel compared to me in manual mode. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

you said in a previous post that you drive smg because you want to shave every second off of lapping.. but you drive a cab..
    I've competed in Solo2 and lapped in convertibles since '01. Whats your point?

most dual clutches still shift automatically at the limiter.. which is gay on its own.
    So perfectly timed upshifts is a problem for you? Regardless, I have no problems upshifting on my own, even tho it's not really necessary.

and if your timing your shift for the limiter and the auto software shifts right before you get a double upshift.. even better
    Never had this problem. I guess I have enough skills to know when to shift.

let me keep my couple thousand dollars, my resale value and you can keep have your tenth of a second
    Resale value? WTF? lol
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado

Last edited by dirtsniffer; 04-26-2015 at 03:38 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

with cars that smg / dual clutch have become popular. the "row your own gears crowd" has had a decreasing number of cars to choose from..

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

lets say your in the apex of a corner, holding a gear trying to keep on the throttle and then wham upshift..
    If you're tapping the rev limiter in a corner, you're in the wrong gear .

an e46 coupe with a manual. will be faster than the cab with smg. i just thought if being fast was #1 in your books, you would have a coupe
    You're probably right. I love convertibles, I need it to get my summer tan going so it's a small compromise I gotta make, with the car being primarily a street car. SMG's still faster than manual in a vert tho. But ya, the handling on the vert is quite a bit sloppier than the coupe, so not just weight, handling would make it quite a bit slower. I've done as much as I can to fix it, so my car's at least consistent now in the corners and I can work around some of the sloppiness.

You're right tho, if the car was primarily for track use, I would've definatly gotten a coupe instead.

My Ride
    Silverado

Last edited by dirtsniffer; 04-26-2015 at 03:39 PM.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Bumping an old thread. I'm looking at a new car and considering a 911 Turbo or R8.

Any recommendations on the car and your experiences would be great to hear, but the reason for the post in this thread is to hear the experiences people have had with the PDK system and the R-tronic Audi system (the DCT one). My only DCT experience is the SMG in my M3.

My Ride
    Silverado

Haha wow. Guess I was being an idiot in this thread to rage2. Back When I was an 09 noob.

I've driven the new 911 turbo s with the auto. Car is so fast I probably would only want the auto

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Haha, I miss owning a convertible. Funny how I was such a lap time whore back then, but now I value the driving experience over lap times. What's even funnier is that I still don't like manuals.

Nice bump, and to answer your question, I've only driven the 911 PDK and it's amazing in every way possible. I haven't driven the new dual clutch R8's, but the old single clutch ones are terrible, and I would choose a manual over that. From what I've read though the dual clutch version completely transforms the car. So really, it's just choosing what you want out of the car. R8 is more flashy, 911 is more performance.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Jlude
    Bumping an old thread. I'm looking at a new car and considering a 911 Turbo or R8.

Any recommendations on the car and your experiences would be great to hear, but the reason for the post in this thread is to hear the experiences people have had with the PDK system and the R-tronic Audi system (the DCT one). My only DCT experience is the SMG in my M3.
    PDK all the way unless you are poser like me, tiptronic 911 hahaha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

I've had M-DCT and Audi DSG, I much prefer them over anything else. The 7g Tronic auto in my Benz was a painful experience.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Haha, I miss owning a convertible. Funny how I was such a lap time whore back then, but now I value the driving experience over lap times. What's even funnier is that I still don't like manuals.

Nice bump, and to answer your question, I've only driven the 911 PDK and it's amazing in every way possible. I haven't driven the new dual clutch R8's, but the old single clutch ones are terrible, and I would choose a manual over that. From what I've read though the dual clutch version completely transforms the car. So really, it's just choosing what you want out of the car. R8 is more flashy, 911 is more performance.
    Yes, I have driven the single clutch (S-tronic) and it's junk. I assumed that the PDK system would be good and the new R-tronic DCT system would be good also. It really boils down to what I can find. I don't want to buy new, so slightly used is unfortunately not great for selection. Must be black on black and if R8, it must be V10. I don't know really know, I'll try them both and think about it for a few days before I decide which vehicle to pursue. Living in a small town has major downfalls.

Originally posted by max_boost

PDK all the way unless you are poser like me, tiptronic 911 hahaha
    Ya, I doubt either transmission would be a disappointment. I'm just getting older and although I do like rowing through gears, but the moment I'm in stop & go traffic, I'm over it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by ToXicXxX
    I've had M-DCT and Audi DSG, I much prefer them over anything else. The 7g Tronic auto in my Benz was a painful experience.
    It's hard to group all of the 7G in one group, as it's been improved through several generations but kept the same name. The first gen didn't even have rev match and was pretty slow. Yours was improved with rev match shifts, and the MCT version in the facelift gave response times similar to first gen DSGs. The latest 7g in the new C class is even better than the MCT version in my BS, and that's not even the AMG MCT version.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by Jlude

Yes, I have driven the single clutch (S-tronic) and it's junk. I assumed that the PDK system would be good and the new R-tronic DCT system would be good also. It really boils down to what I can find. I don't want to buy new, so slightly used is unfortunately not great for selection. Must be black on black and if R8, it must be V10. I don't know really know, I'll try them both and think about it for a few days before I decide which vehicle to pursue. Living in a small town has major downfalls.

Ya, I doubt either transmission would be a disappointment. I'm just getting older and although I do like rowing through gears, but the moment I'm in stop & go traffic, I'm over it.
    You are baller status right now bro. I have been following your movements on social media haha I don't think price concerns you as much as it concerned me haha
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Manual for life.

Then again I haven't driven anything with a good dsg in it... But for cars in my price range, manual for life lol.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My DSG 2007 A3 SLine white with black pano roof is for sale ... In the beyond marketplace.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast