Quantcast
come lets finish this sentence--you kknow you are a calgarian when you..... - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: come lets finish this sentence--you kknow you are a calgarian when you.....

Originally posted by Whiley
    you know your a true Calgarian if you:
    (sorry if a few are doubles)

hoooooooly you're old man. lol. I'm gonna go on a limb here and guess you're around 40-50 years old. haha

-watched the filming of that Steven Segal movie on the center street bridge (right after the bridge was done construction)

i'm sorry, going to call total & utter BS on this one!
    having lived in calgary all my life, i can say that is NOT how true calgarians drive, but in recent years these have become the norm, sadly

it use to be that:
    - people KNEW to move smartly through traffic & away from the lights
    - people KNEW how to drive properly in snow & ice conditions
    - people KNEW that slower traffic stays to the right hand lane, and if someone comes up behind youin the fast lane (left) then you move over out of their way
    - people KNEW to move over to allow you to merge into traffic
    - people KNEW to never stop in a merge lane, and never had reason to
    - people KNEW to politely change lanes to allow someone to make a turn from an intersection corner (now they just all drive ignorantly along the curb lane, with left lane clear!)
    - people KNEW to drive at the 'speed of traffic', meaning they knew enough to realize slower traffic adversely affects those behind
    - people KNEW that when any emergency vehicles came along, regardless of direction, to pull over immediately (not eventually) to the right and stop
    - people KNEW to change lanes to slow and pull in behind another vehicle, NOT to race up and cut them off
    - people KNEW to wave as a "thank you" every time when someone else lets you into traffic or change lanes
    - people KNEW to never, never speed or fcuk around in school or playground zones!!!!

each one of those items you list where brought here from other cities or provinces
    i can't tell you how many fellow "true" calgarians i have spoken with about these very same observations, and how that use to 'never' be the case
    it really makes me sad and sick to see how inconsiderate drivers and people in general, in this city have become over the last 10+ years, which can not be coincidence, it coincides with a large migration of peoples into this city

it use to be that calgary had its own set of driving rules & etiquette, that was all about giving right of way politely to other drivers

it use to be that calgarians, "true" calgarians, had their own set of rules & ettiquette for how to talk and treat other people; like holding open a door for the person behind you, letting older people or women sit priority on the bus, "Et cetera" (original latin)

it use to be you would always see a stranded motorist helped out right away by a fellow motorist, but now you would be hard pressed to see that ever happen
    not that long ago, i pulled over to the side of the road (deerfoot), behind a lady with a flat tire, asian woman as it turned out, put on my hazard lights, and got out to offer my help
    well, when i tapped on the window, offering to help her, she locked the doors and looked all panicked and scared
    very sad indeed that she should have to ever feel that way in this city!

rant off :-)

Originally posted by Jay911
    You are a TRUE Calgarian if you:

- take more than 0.75 seconds to depart a freshly green light, or start moving once the car in front of you has. (When I'm 15th in line at a light, it should not take me 45 seconds to get to the now-turning-amber-again light.)
    - drive to the end of a merge lane and stop, instead of merging.
    - don't let someone merge in even if they are stopped like a tool at the end of the ramp.
    - drive at 75% of the posted speed regardless of where you are, and figure you are helping the cops out by holding back all the evil traffic you're blocking.

Before people bitch at me for generalized complaints instead of Calgary-centric comments, all the above is stuff I've seen predominantly in Calgary that people in other cities do much less and/or not at all.
    Last edited by Whiley; 09-14-2008 at 07:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by avow
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    going down the street... sideways... with the wheel cracked and me shitting myself... oh how i miss that car!

No, you're 10 years off (muttering - damn punk) lol

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    hoooooooly you're old man. lol. I'm gonna go on a limb here and guess you're around 40-50 years old. haha
    correction - after center street bridge was being renovated, it was built long before you or i were born

-watched the filming of that Steven Segal movie on the center street bridge (right after the bridge was done construction)
    Last edited by Whiley; 09-14-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    going down the street... sideways... with the wheel cracked and me shitting myself... oh how i miss that car!

My Ride
    NOYB.

Originally posted by Whiley
    i'm sorry, going to call total & utter BS on this one!
    having lived in calgary all my life, i can say that is NOT how true calgarians drive, but in recent years these have become the norm, sadly
    Could be, I guess. You can even call me an f'n outsider if you want - I moved here from southern Ontario in 1990. I've had almost exactly the same amount of time in my hometown and here, at this point in my life, being close to 36 now. I lived in a rental house in Falconridge for 6 months when we first moved here, waiting for our house outside the city to be settled. This was back when Falconridge was the edge of the city, so actually, some of the stuff people have posted above brings things back for me I can remember my father and sister out for a walk along Falconridge north of McKnight in between there and Falmead Close, where we lived. One of them stopped to tie a shoe, and all four lanes of traffic stopped, mid-block, to let them cross the street (at least that's what the traffic thought they were wanting to do, even though they were nowhere near a crosswalk). So I can definitely remember people being at least attentive drivers here in Calgary.

However, having said that, I went back to my hometown near Toronto last month, and I didn't have to wait an excessive time at a stop light once. I'm serious, people here in Calgary act as though they're dozing off or something at traffic signals - then look up. "Oh! Shit! The light's green. I think I'll go. Yeah! I'll go!" and then take off.. then the guy behind them wakes up and wonders where the guy in front of him went, and repeats the cycle above again. It literally takes 5 to 7 seconds for each person stacked up in a lane to get moving off the light. Back home, when the green hits, everyone gets moving all at once. So call me an arrogant Torontonian maybe, despite the fact my life has been half there and half here, but that's one of my big beefs about Calgary today. And I still say people here can't merge.

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Originally posted by dj techsta
    you remember:

when simon the safety bear visited your classroom

when COP was actually outside the city limits

the haunted house at Calaway Park

you remember what used to be located where Flames Central is now (The Palace)

you remember the CJAY 92 mascot
    Yeah, I remember watching the movie Willow at The Palace

Originally posted by Jay911 Could be, I guess. You can even call me an f'n outsider if you want
    no, i'm not directing any of that at you
    all i'm saying is that calgary use to be very different, and so were peoples etiquette & courtesy
    with such an influx of people, that has all been changed or forgotten entirely

Originally posted by ryder_23
    You tint your front windshield
    ... you say _front_ windshield

My Ride
    A car... beep! beep!

- watched Buck Shot on TV
    - Saw Charlene Prickett (sp?) in the mornings.
    - Had Owen Hart coming to school giving wrestling lessons
    - Calgary Tower was the talest thing in town
    - Watched Empire strikes back at the Palace
    - Listened to AM 106
    - Went to a Flames game at the Corral.
    - Went to the Sunset Drive In
    - Remember when COP was Paskapoo
    - Going to Electric Ave was the shit
    - Rocked out at Franky and Johnnys North or South.
    - Saw GWAR at the Westward
    - Going to the Warehouse was cool
    - Went DT to see a movie at Bankers Hall, it was always packed. DT was so much better that it is now. It was the place to be. Now its an over grown office park.

Going nutz on Electric in 89, Stanley cup parade..

I'm really dating my self.. haha
    Last edited by ZEDGE; 09-15-2008 at 08:35 AM.

My Ride
    66 Accord

you drive around with a permanent new driver sign thinking it is an excuse not to learn how to get out of my fucking way..

seriously I have seen people in the NE that have this printed and placed in there rear windshield for months and even more than a year!

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

... when you remember Northland Mall being cool because it had the only cheap theaters in NW Calgary ($5 movie and popcorn deal ftw!)

... when your family did billeting for people coming here for the 88 Olympics.

... when you remember downtown being a safe, clean place

... when you lined up down the streets in downtown for a bad view of the Stanley Cup going by on a fire engine.

... you remember when it was the Canadian Airlines Saddledome

... when you remember when the LRT TERMINATED at University station and was amazed at the time with the convenience that the trains brought to a slightly congested city.
    Geek

wow owen hart giving wrestling lessons? wow... i was a big fan of bret hart and owen hart last time

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Went to more than one Cannons game...

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by kaishen
    wow owen hart giving wrestling lessons? wow... i was a big fan of bret hart and owen hart last time
    I think it was Owen who was my substitute teacher for Language Arts in Grade 8. Two girls tried to fool him by switching identities. they pulled it off for the whole time I think. Made writing tests difficult for them. Losers!

haha was that before or during his stint at WWF?imagine seeing your teacher in underwear on tv haha

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

crap...that was 20 years ago. I'm SO old..... :

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

Originally posted by kaishen
    haha was that before or during his stint at WWF?imagine seeing your teacher in underwear on tv haha
    True enough...being a HUGE WWF fan when I was a kid I would have freaked out. I only recall ever seeing Bruce Hart as a subistitute teacher when I went to high school.

Unfortunately though, during Owen's first WWF stint (mid 1988 to spring 1989) he wrestled under a mask and his true identity was never disclosed. One could have only recognized him if they watched Stampede Wrestling (where he competed without a mask). Of course Owen did return for his second WWF stint maskless around December 1991 and was with the company continuously until -- well you know what happened...it's just too depressing for me to type it out here

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

Anybody remember having to take part in that exercise program in elementary, where you either get an Excellence (Red), Gold, Silver, or Bronze coloured badges?

It was for doing certain things, like 50 m under xx amount of seconds, or doing like 20 situps or whatever.

Is that still around for kids?

There was also that information centre place on 16th Ave heading into the city past 68th street. It's been torn down ages ago, but I still remember seeing it on my way to Abbeydale.

I never knew Owen Hart was a teacher, I know Bruce was for sure. Owen got into wrestling early and stayed on while Bret, Dynamite, Bulldog, and Anvil went to WWE and Vince didn't pay royalties to stampede it was only Owen that kept money in the seats. I know he tried to be a firefighter, however left for the WWE soon after.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    Lease

When you drive something like this in this day and age, with a Calgary '88 Olympics bumper sticker

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

- You remember renting videos from Jumbo Video in sunridge where you didn't have to pay for the movie until you returned it.

-you remember when south calgary had rogers for cable and north had shaw, and they had different channels.

-you remember when 36th street ne without c-train tracks.

-you remember when everything east of 68st NE was just farmers fields

-you remember when the Village square leisure center was built.

-you went to see movies at Northhill.

-you remember renting Spectravision players from a place in Franklin Mall.

-You remember Pick-A-Pop.
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast