Quantcast
2004 Volvo S40 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2004 Volvo S40

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default 2004 Volvo S40

EDIT:

Volvo Car Corporation is releasing the first photographs of its all-new sport sedan, the Volvo S40.

With its revolutionary interior design, class-leading safety, plus powertrains that encompass five-cylinder engines, all-wheel drive and a six-speed transmission, Volvo's newest model is taking a confident and decisive step forward.

The new Volvo S40 will make its debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

The Volvo S40 is the first entirely new model from Volvo Cars following the success of the Volvo XC90, the SUV that redefined the segment.

The all-new Volvo S40 replaces the current S40, which was launched in Europe in 1995. It is the newest addition to Volvo's S-range, which also includes the larger Volvo S60 and S80 models.

Exhilarating design

From the outside, the new S40 is unmistakably a Volvo, a modern evolution of the extraordinary design language that began with the S80 luxury sedan.

The interior is a revolution, with an ultra-slim center console - the first of its kind in the automotive world - creating an aura of exclusivity, simplicity and space. "The center console is a design icon for the new Volvo S40," says Henrik Otto, Design Director at Volvo Cars. "We intend to pursue our position as inaugurators in the car design world, not looking at what our competitors are doing. It is therefore far more valuable to keep an eye on what they're not doing."

Volvo's Intelligent Vehicle Architecture (VIVA)

In the new Volvo S40, Volvo Cars continues its groundbreaking use of high-tensile steel. In the new front structure, four different grades of steel are used in an intelligent interplay to provide maximum safety for the car's occupants. "Naturally, our goal is that the new Volvo S40 should be the safest car in its class," says Volvo Cars President & CEO Hans-Olov Olsson.

Side impact protection is addressed by the use of extremely rigid cross members that form a 3-way attachment between the leading edge of the A-pillar and the base of the B-pillar. Similar cross members are found in the rear doors as well.

This system of energy absorption, along with the new slim-design 5-cylinder engines is called Volvo's Intelligent Vehicle Architecture (VIVA), and represents a new approach to vehicle safety design.

New Volvo Performance

The new Volvo S40 is being introduced with a choice of innovative 5-cylinder engines: a normally aspirated unit producing 170-horsepower, and a 220-horsepower high-pressure turbocharged engine found in the T5. Those who crave an even more dynamic driving experience may equip a T5 with Volvo's new 6-speed close-ratio manual gearbox and electronically controlled all-wheel drive.

Appealing to younger buyers

"With the new Volvo S40, we now offer our customers large-car benefits across the entire line. This, combined with an exciting design and exceptional road manners, makes the new S40 a highly potent challenger in this segment," comments Olsson.

Expanding the brand to appeal to a broader age range is an important part of Volvo Cars' strategy - it is particularly important that this new model appeal to young buyers. "We want to attract customers into the Volvo family as early as possible, and the new Volvo S40 will definitely appeal to younger buyers," said Olsson.

Produced in Ghent, Belgium

The new Volvo S40 will be built in the Volvo Cars factory in Ghent, Belgium, which has been thoroughly remodeled and modernized for this purpose at a cost of $387 million.

Production gets under way this autumn. In 2003, the new Volvo S40 will only be sold in Sweden, reaching markets in the rest of the world in early-to-mid 2004.

Volvo Car Corporation expects 2004 sales of the new S40 to reach 70,000 cars. Annual sales for the U.S. market, the largest single market for the S40, are targeted at 28,000 units.

The new Volvo S40 is the first in a range of new Volvo models sharing common technology. Next in line is the Volvo V50, a premium activity wagon that will replace the current V40.
    Last edited by benyl; 08-29-2003 at 12:57 PM.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

What's under the hood?
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

2 five cylinder engines... check the first post

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

I think it looks good

wow volvo finally got some sport

beautiful

My Ride
    VW Scirocco GT

I think it looks great, good job volvo

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

wow.. god damn that thing looks sweet...
    and performance + safety
    watch out volvo's takin over!

max
    240 ka-t

My Ride
    2010 GLK350 4MATIC, 2006 SLK350

Volvo is getting somewhere now!

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Originally posted by EstoMax
    wow.. god damn that thing looks sweet...
    and performance + safety
    watch out volvo's takin over!

max
    Not sure if i would ever buy a Vol. I think this one looks awesome but what about reliability. Don't mean to sound like a "parent" but serioulsy volvo's aren't known for the high JD power ratings. Think I'll stick with my Japs.

Originally posted by ACS-e36
    wow volvo finally got some sport
    Volvo always had sport, but only recently has come out with sporty looking vehicles to the non volvo enthusiast.

I have not read much into the new S40, but from the sounds of it, the T5 with six speed and AWD sounds just like a mini S60R Although I'm wondering if the 220 HP rating is an error, mine has 222 HP, and its the first generation of T5s, recent ones are around the 245 HP mark with the new engine management system and variable valve timing. I'll check on volvospy and get more info for everyone.

Not sure if i would ever buy a Vol. I think this one looks awesome but what about reliability. Don't mean to sound like a "parent" but serioulsy volvo's aren't known for the high JD power ratings. Think I'll stick with my Japs
    Consumer reports lists the FWD generations of volvos as either average or above average reliability. Like most euro cars, the powertrain is rock solid, but electronics, A/C, things like that can be a real bitch. Volvo parts are also extremely expensive. The old RWD volvos were actually more reliable, they had a solid reputation among euros that became a little tainted when they completely changed thier designs in the early 90s. IMO, they're just as reliable if not more on average than the euros we get here (save for maybe diesel VWs)

But you're right, nothing can beat the quality control of a honda or toyota.
    Last edited by T5_X; 09-03-2003 at 10:22 AM.
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

Been reading more into it, the platform used is actually manufactured by ford and mazda, so it will share the same basic chassis as the next gen focus and 323. The current focus handles very well, the only complaint I might have is initial quality control of the chassis components. The AWD system will also be adapted from the new landrover freelander. From there, the rest is all volvo. The V50 will come out 2004 as an 05 model. This would be the car I am interested in, here are a couple spy shots:

I can't find why the output of the T5 is lower, I'll try to find something more about it on forums.

Oh, and get this, there are unofficial plans for and XC 50 (off roady sport wagon, like the XC70) and convertible versions as early as 2006 models.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by T5_X

I can't find why the output of the T5 is lower, I'll try to find something more about it on forums.
    I would deduce that it is because they don't want to compete with the S60 T5. They should call it a T4.

S80 = T6
    S60 = T5
    S40 = T4 <-- would make sense!

If the S40 T5 had more horsepower, it would be faster than the S60... can have that!

Wonder if there is an S40R coming out, that would be worth waiting for.

This new S40 has some strong resemblances to the B6 A4. Roof line, headlight and lower front bumper look very similar IMO.

It should be priced better than the A4 too. I wonder if they are still using the 1.9T ...

Originally posted by benyl

I would deduce that it is because they don't want to compete with the S60 T5. They should call it a T4.

S80 = T6
    S60 = T5
    S40 = T4 &lt;-- would make sense!

If the S40 T5 had more horsepower, it would be faster than the S60... can have that!

Wonder if there is an S40R coming out, that would be worth waiting for.

This new S40 has some strong resemblances to the B6 A4. Roof line, headlight and lower front bumper look very similar IMO.

It should be priced better than the A4 too. I wonder if they are still using the 1.9T ...
    Well, it wouldn't make sense cause the "5" in T5 means 5 cyl, as the T6 means 6 cyl. I think in europe they have nicknames one of the euro spec S40 engines a "T4"

You may be right about the T5 S40 being lower output to not steal thunder away from the T5 S60, but it also may have something to do with reducing power for the drivetrain, I also have not heard figures for RPM and peak tq at RPM.

I don't know about an S40R... the T5 already has AWD and 6 speed, they'd have to keep power below 300 as to not equal the S60R fully in specs for a lower priced entry level.

Yes, since ford bought volvo, the company has done a 180 in styling. The full line-up now resembles the german competetors to attract new customers to the company. And since volvos are lower priced and safer than the german cars, it is no wonder why the company is starting to gain more popularity, though most of the lineup aren't truly "driver's cars" like the germans.

It says the lineup is now powered by two 5 cyl engines, therefore, the 1.9t will not be used as it is a 4 cyl.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

haha... I guess I should read my own posts! (but then again, I wouldn't know if the 1.9T is 4 or 5 cylinders).

I didn't realize the TX was designated by the number of cylinders. I don't know Volvos very well... all I know is that the V70R is damn sexy!