Quantcast
Alberta: COMPLETE BAN ON RHD STARTING JAN 1st 2009!!! (Unsubstantiated information) - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta: COMPLETE BAN ON RHD STARTING JAN 1st 2009!!! (Unsubstantiated information)

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

Originally posted by Jay911
    Hm, so all of the City of Calgary's garbage & recycling trucks will become illegal on 1/1/09 too, since they're dual-drive?....
    Some of us won't be getting mail either

many of those small postal trucks are RHD for ease of employees servicing mail boxes.
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    NOYB.

Originally posted by barmanjay
    Some of us won't be getting mail either

many of those small postal trucks are RHD for ease of employees servicing mail boxes.
    I forgot about those. See, out here in Bragg, they haven't discovered the concept of mail delivery yet - I have to drive into town to the post office, so those little step vans totally slipped my mind.

My Ride
    See sig

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his blackandwhite cat...
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I had heard that this would only affect registering of RHD vehicles in Alberta from out of province and commercial vehicles (postage, garbage trucks, etc) would be exempt. Once it's legally registered in Alberta it's in for good so while ther is truth to this, the part about not being able to re-register is BS.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

I heard that they're going to kill off all the RHD drivers too, better start a thread in every single Canadian car forum about that too
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Oh man that GTR Canada forum is funny. Thanks for posting slinky! Would not have been able to find it without you.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Toms-SC
    Oh man that GTR Canada forum is funny. Thanks for posting slinky! Would not have been able to find it without you.
    I especially like it how they think that banning RHD vehicles will put the local politicians on the hot seat. Do they really think that politicians are going to be swayed by a very small group of teenagers lol especially when the masses want them banned as well? The whole RHD importation thing was nice for the kids while it lasted but it's coming to an end. Accept it and go on with your life.

My Ride
    Ev0

It's probably true that the active, vocal proponents of RHD are a small minority when looking at the big picture. But to classify them as all teenagers that drive recklessly is not correct. That's an unfortunate stereotype that's been associated with the "RHD crowd". If this ban were to become real it will affect more than just a few kids. Accepting it and going on with your life is akin to sticking your head in the sand like an ostrich.

Perhaps our government will once again decide it's in the best interest of the public to ban alcohol seeing as how it could be reasoned it is the cause of certain family problems, injuries and deaths every year. Indeed I would think alcohol is far more dangerous and worthy of being banned. Bring back prohibition!

And to say the masses want them banned as well? I don't believe that and I don't think most people would either. What are the masses opinion on RHD? Probably really don't care much either way... People don't care about things going on until it directly affects them in a negative way. Just because you don't care or object to something your government is proposing now doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up, otherwise you may find one day your governemnt wanting to take something else away from you and you will find few to stand with you and speak against the government deciding your life would be better without beer...

United we stand, divided we fall has been a motto across nations and over the years for a reason.

im sorry... but im missing WHY this is a big deal...

theoretically:

it gets banned... the market is ALREADY flooded with RHD cars which arent selling (see beyond.ca marketplace) and anyone who really wants one already has one or can get one for cheap...

iv seen skylines go from 10,000 for a gts-t to like 5,000 for a gts-t because there are SO MANY of them, nobody wants them, and the fad is ending... how are the importers making any money with demand this low... and how are they staying in buisness?

so theoretically importing could get banned and the only people who would be hurt by it would be the importers themselves... who i cant imagine are making much money anymore in the first place since the fad died and the cars have no value....

also... why are RHD owners against this? if it stops the flood of RHD cars the ones that are already imported could theoretically rocket in value after the cheap ones sell out... so these owners might not get completely hosed by re-sale if they hold the car a bit and then try to sell...

so i repeat... why is this a big deal?

It's a big deal to RHD people because it will make it impossible to register a RHD car after Jan 1st, 2009. Reading = good.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

OMG i hope this is true

BAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

My Ride
    Ev0

Because in 5 or 10 years time I may want to buy another one. Or perhaps if the one I have now gets written off.

Just yesterday I just about got rear ended because I noticed the ambulance coming up from a ways back and changed lanes and then began to slow down. Guy behind me quite possibly would have hit me had I not actually taken my foot off the brake pedal.

My Ride
    Something that can tow my boat and quads

there are a few cars that I am patiently waitng to come up to 15 years for me to get my hands on. If the rules change, I wont be getting it. Sure, I guess life goes on and I will find something else to drive. But if we are going to ban the interests of individuals why dont we ban Drinking, watching Hockey, Sight seeing, and any other thing that is NOT hurting anybody simply because a couple others dont like it, or enjoy it??

I could care less how many people are on 15years, the point is to get the news out so the people who care will do something. Unfotunatly that means posting in the den of lions (beyond). I am aware that there are a large number of you who do NOT like RHD, and would rather see it go away. But since I dont know who likes them, who hates them, and who is willing to fight to keep them, I have to put it where all of you can see. That also means I have to put up with some of the comments that will be posted by the haters.

I was sure I mentioned already, and if I did not then I will say it now........ this sounds far fetched, and I do NOT see how they can legally do this so quickly without following any kind of process or procedures. BUT, it seems there are a few in a position of power who are bent on making this happen, and I would NOT put it past them to try to slip something like this under the radar.

Also, the provinces deff have the power to restrict whatever they want from their roads. They also have the power to offer exemptions. So the mail trucks and garbage trucks can still get their registration, and the every day user gets stiffed!

Help, or dont help, thats your choice. At least you now know.

Also, dont get me started about the gong show on GTRC. Its a site of clowns and twits being moderated by retards. But you didnt hear that from me!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    A hard-top, with a decent engine.

Originally posted by 962 kid
    it will make it impossible to register a RHD car after Jan 1st, 2009.
    What if you already have the car and it has been legally registered in Canada since May 07???? They can't just suddenly say "O your car is illegal now"

I can understand limiting the influx of RHD's coming off of the boats but to say every RHD is illegal and un-registerable (sp?/real word lol) as of Jan. '09 is
    S13

pointe finale mon esti.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

LOLOLOLOL at the idea Alberta bans RHD before BC does.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    A hard-top, with a decent engine.

Originally posted by stinky_1
    dont get me started about the gong show on GTRC. Its a site of clowns and twits being moderated by retards. But you didnt hear that from me!
    I didn't hear it from anyone...I just read it
    Keep up the good work Stinky and thanks for the heads up!!!
    S13

pointe finale mon esti.

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by msommers
    LOLOLOLOL at the idea Alberta bans RHD before BC does.
    I wish they would, these cars are molestering the car market.

My Ride

Originally posted by BlkMaxima

I wish they would, these cars are molestering the car market.

LOL @ guys who think banning a couple hundred RHD will stop the Canadian economy from crashing, or the used car market from plummeting.

hmmmm

100 cars a month into alberta from Japan

or

1000 cars a WEEK from USA into Canada (that's 4000 per month)

You dont need to be a math major to figure out the impact of the 2. Problem is, the US imports would need a HUGE "I was imported" sticker for you to spot it. Have a look through the used car market in Calgary. How many RHD are there, and how many cars with the mileage written in "MILES" are there. Your anger is misplaced.
    Last edited by stinky_1; 07-04-2008 at 10:12 AM.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by stinky_1
    You dont need to be a match major
    WTF is a match major
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride

sorry "math" major.

As you can tell, I was NOT an english major or minor