Quantcast
Alberta: COMPLETE BAN ON RHD STARTING JAN 1st 2009!!! (Unsubstantiated information) - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Alberta: COMPLETE BAN ON RHD STARTING JAN 1st 2009!!! (Unsubstantiated information)

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Originally posted by stinky_1

IN japanese its called

Kuruma Seikatsu

And the japanese people have no idea how Canadians or Americans can live like that.
    Yeah it was quite the shock for this girl from Nagoya to move to a city like Calgary where you are forced to be utterly dependent on your car to do anything... It's funny how, as much as they love their cars, they seem to get pleasure out of simply owning and maintaining them, not necessarily driving them a great deal.

My Ride
    E63. No, the one with SMG

Originally posted by avishal26
    I think you should (Stinky_1) stop arguing with 'me&you'

The guy / girl has clearly no idea what he's talking about. He/She is a wanna be BMW driver... or should I say wannabe Douchebag?

Mr. 'me&you'... this is you ->

You're right, you win. Your obviously superior internet and image posting skills have defeated me. I guess I'll just go back to pretending to drive the car I claim and aspiring to one day join the other douchbags.

Stinky -

You have me confused with someone else that was posting here; my windshield is not cracked.

I can appreciate your passion for these cars and I apologize for making blanket statements. But with the lenient OOP requests posted here, the cars I've seen and, yes, the stories I've been told by several mechanics, I fear the cars in the condition of yours are more of an exception than the norm. Maybe one day I'll take you up on your offer... you can show me a proper example of a JMD, I can show you my car and you can vouch for me to avishal26 that I am indeed a douchbag.

My Ride
    08 Civc LX, 03 Durango, 11 Duramax

Holy keyboard warriors batman, that was better than watching 300.

Originally posted by me&you

You're right, you win. Your obviously superior internet and image posting skills have defeated me. I guess I'll just go back to pretending to drive the car I claim and aspiring to one day join the other douchbags.

Stinky -

You have me confused with someone else that was posting here; my windshield is not cracked.

I can appreciate your passion for these cars and I apologize for making blanket statements. But with the lenient OOP requests posted here, the cars I've seen and, yes, the stories I've been told by several mechanics, I fear the cars in the condition of yours are more of an exception than the norm. Maybe one day I'll take you up on your offer... you can show me a proper example of a JMD, I can show you my car and you can vouch for me to avishal26 that I am indeed a douchbag.
    Thats exactly my point 'me&you'... except for the fact that (JDM) cars that are well taken care of are NOT more of an exception than norm. I've seen more busted civics with bumpers missing than I can count.. 90% of the JDM cars I've seen have been in really good shape. And those that have been in bad shape were the owner's fault.. not because they were junk to begin with.

My whole argument is that RHD has nothing to do with people driving around in cars that are missing parts or are unsafe... a person who wants to remove the bumper in favour of an intercooler is going to do it regardless of which side of the car he's sitting on... do you see my point?

If there are going to be mechanical inspections.. let's have that for ALL CARS .. not just JDM.

PS - You spelt douchebag wrong... its douchEbag .. not douchbag

My Ride
    nimbus

Hmm the way I see it.. to think about it, if they ban rhd, they will be shutting down lots of businesses so before that rule is passed, lots of rhd enthusiast and businesses would fight the government to prevent that rule to be passed
    its just like the rumors few years back that theyre gonna ban importing rhd... never happened
    I♥ my EG

My Ride
    MKVII GTI, LibTech HotKnife&TRice

Please let this happen.
    Guess who's back... tell some men.

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

Major rumor. Just recently on the news, members of the Calgary Police Service were interviewed and they said that the Alberta government does not plan to change any laws relating to cars imported from Japan.

My Ride
    Something that can tow my boat and quads

Originally posted by echigo_X
    Hmm the way I see it.. to think about it, if they ban rhd, they will be shutting down lots of businesses so before that rule is passed, lots of rhd enthusiast and businesses would fight the government to prevent that rule to be passed
    its just like the rumors few years back that theyre gonna ban importing rhd... never happened
    echigo, A big part of the reason that the rule never changed in the past is because a large number of us banded together and lobbied the gov to NOT change it, and questioned the motives behind the proposal. TC saw that there really was not any proof to the claims and they have backed off 100%. When they did back off they turned it back over to the provinces. They said that they had every right to ban them from use on THEIR roads, but that TC would NOT be changing the import law (at this point).

This was why when we hear rumors of provinces trying to take them off the road, as far fetched as they sound we need to figure out if their is any truth to the claim.

It has been confirmed that this is NOT going to be happening. And just as we had all hoped it was more a case of a registries shop MISS reading a notice sent to them. It turns out the notice was sent in regaurds to ONE RHD vehicle, and that they would not be allowed to register it again until some conditions where met. This is similar to ALL the letters people have been getting from Ken RObinson about their RHD vehicles being unsafe.

So, sigh of releif, everything is the same as it was 1 month ago.

thanks everyone that posted, it has been an interesting conversation. You will NOT be getting any more posts like this from me. So no need to worry any more.

My Ride
    crx sir

legaly all they could is ban any more rhd from coming in

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by avishal26

Thats exactly my point 'me&you'... except for the fact that (JDM) cars that are well taken care of are NOT more of an exception than norm. I've seen more busted civics with bumpers missing than I can count.. 90% of the JDM cars I've seen have been in really good shape. And those that have been in bad shape were the owner's fault.. not because they were junk to begin with.

My whole argument is that RHD has nothing to do with people driving around in cars that are missing parts or are unsafe... a person who wants to remove the bumper in favour of an intercooler is going to do it regardless of which side of the car he's sitting on... do you see my point?

If there are going to be mechanical inspections.. let's have that for ALL CARS .. not just JDM.

PS - You spelt douchebag wrong... its douchEbag .. not douchbag
    You're still missing the point, and not only that, you're neglecting to mention several inherent flaws with RHD vehicles on roads designed for LHD motoring. 90% of the JDM cars you have seen have NOT been in really good condition, so don't even try to pretend that fact is remotely true.

I work with many importers on a semi-regular basis and the amount of work that they put into the cars to make them decent vehicles for sale is astounding. Not only on the mechanical side of things, but asthetically as well. That's not to say that there aren't JDM vehicles that are in fantastic condition (I was viewing a pristine JDM Pajero last night), but to say that 90% of JDM vehicles are in great shape would be the same thing as me saying that 90% of 1991 Civic's are in great shape.

It's a blind judgement, and not only that, it's untrue. Then, once you address the fact that a RHD is boarderline unsafe on LHD roads, you have a vehicle that shouldn't be driven for daily use. Occassional or track use is a perfectly good reason to own a JDM vehicle, but for daily driving? Please, that's a recipe for disaster right there.

An experienced and safe driver may cope just fine, but the target market for these vehicles (people under the age of 24) tend to drive the shit out of them. Let's get real for a second: when was the last time you saw an established, considerate, mature driving a Skyline? Right, I haven't seen one yet either. I have, however, seen dozens upon dozens of teenagers and young adults cruising in their Skylines, Silvia's, Fairlady's, Sunni GTi-R's, etc.

And don't start bashing me about how safe RHD's are for the road, because they're not. I know, I owned one for nearly a year and drove it every day. It's just too bad that you can't get a lightweight turbo-car cheaply domestically.

I hope they change the rules, it'd be a good thing for other motorists.

rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    I take the bus and nutswing JDM

Originally posted by kerry
    Please let this happen.

agreed for every nice one there seems to be 14 garbage scows.

I would not shed a tear to see them go away.

06 F250 diesel.
    Saving up for a used shitbox to enhance my cool factor.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

Originally posted by ACX

agreed for every nice one there seems to be 14 garbage scows.

I would not shed a tear to see them go away.
    agreed

My Ride
    Supercharged Cold Air Vespa 200 Turbo

I am not to worried about this claim...

laws are not retroactive and no court can go back in time to make the importation and subsequent registration of JDM's ilegal... maybe a ban on further importation is possible but there is no way a complete ban will occur

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Um, law makers can make laws retroactive if they want to. Nothing is stopping them.

Like the new bumper legislation. They could have easily said that only 2008 and new cars can be imported that meet the new spec.

They can just as easily say that everyone with a RHD car has to export it or scrap it. Unlikely, but possible.

My Ride
    s14

If it drives my cars resale valuve up, please do ban JDM cars from coming over.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5