Quantcast
newbie...1st set of golf clubs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: newbie...1st set of golf clubs

Default newbie...1st set of golf clubs

This is not for me, but for my cousin. I personally have some shitty top flite clubs, but they're doing good for me at the moment. Mind you my bro bought them, i just use them. ANYWAYS so my knowledge when it comes to buying a first set of golf clubs is very minimal. actually i have no knowledge at all.
    This will be his first time going to te driving range/ golfing.

where should he buy his first set of clubs?
    what kind?
    how much should he be looking at spending?
    i was thinking he should just get a 3-6-9-driver combo to begin with? or should he just get an all out set?

anything else that i/ he needs to know?

My Ride
    I like. :)

Just regarding the actual clubs, 3-6-9-D should be good enough for a starter set, until he/you really gets a feel for the clubs and your technique. When you start feeling that need for more control/touch then get those 'in-between' clubs. Who knows by that time you may decide to get an entirely new set OR the opposite, you may decide to drop golf all together!

My Ride
    Subaru GR

for n00b golfers I'd recommend buying a good set of used clubs until you feel good enough to buy a more current version, that way you still get a quality set for a cheaper price. The older sets aren't bad, I've still got a set of Callaway x-12s that I absolutely love, also one of my friends (golf pro is still using his X-14s). All I have upgraded over the years are my woods and picked up some decent wedges gl

BTW if your looking at a minimal set IMO driver - 3 - 7 - 9 - SW - putter
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    WRX

Some of the difference between cheaper and higher end clubs is the flex in the club. A lot of the cheaper sets are graphite and have a ton of flex for people with slower swings. I find it hard to keep control with flexy clubs - same idea as a hockey stick

i use a set of Jazz TSi's... they arent the newest clubs or the most expensive but they are comfortable and nice to use...

what id say is decide what your price range is and ask the sales guys for advice because a lot of them arent as useless as you think.

i do most of my shopping at Nevada Bobs Golf and they have always treated me really good... but its the same as buying anything else... make sure he does his shopping around to make sure hes getting his best option.

id say for price range... for a decent set of clubs to start out with... maybe about 800 all in... with clubs, bag, etc. you dont need to buy top of the line pings or callaways to enjoy the game... unless ur baller

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

End of season sales at a golf course are sometimes a good place to get a good deal. There was a full set of Irons 3-P for $199 at Henderson lake Club in Lethbridge last year.

I'd buy a used set with all clubs. I just found these on kijiji for $150 with bag.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...QAdIdZ60563184

You seriously can't go wrong
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Tell him to buy a set of used Ping Eye 2's.

They will be about 10-20 years old, and will be the best set of irons he can buy for $250 bucks. Some of the PGA pros are still using these irons.

Then, in a couple of years when he figures out what he really wants he can sell them for exactly (or perhaps a bit more) than what he paid for them......or he can continue to keep playing them as they are still the best set of cavity backed irons out there.

My Ride
    94' Terd

^^^ Agree.

As far as set make up.

I'm a scratch handicap and I could gaurantee you I could break 75 with the following: 11-13* driver, 16-20* fairway wood, then 5-7-9-W, putter, its really all you will ever need!

You'll gain a feel for the game much better by playing with less clubs by learning to hit the same club in different ways, may be frustrating but I think its better.

When I used to play competitively, I would play and entire nine with a 6-iron, or play with a driver, 6-iron, wedge, simply to develop touch.

IMO the best way to learn the game. Good luck!

thanks for you input guys!!!

My Ride
    STi

honestly, your first set of clubs doesn't matter too much. I wouldn't call myself pro, but I'd say I'm mediocre. I started off with a 100-150 dollar set from sports check (Made by spalding i think), and to be honest, when i was new, I couldn't tell the difference between my set and my friends 800 dollar Callaway set. Just make sure you go for cavity backs. They're more forgiving. My current set are forged blades. If you hit them correctly, they feel amazing, but if you don't hit right on the sweet spot, the ball won't go very far. Cavity back's have a larger sweetspot.

And like mentioned, if you're new, you really don't need a full set. You can buy the sets that come with every odd number, i.e., 3, 5 ,7, 9, PW. . Plus its lighter if you're carrying

Oh thought I'd also throw in.. i used to work at a golf course, and I saw tons of people with 1000+ sets that play worse than I did when i had my 100 dollar set, so in all honesty, expensive gear doesn't do you very good until you've at least learned the basics and get your golf swing down.
    Last edited by jsn; 07-06-2008 at 01:47 AM.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by Pacman
    Tell him to buy a set of used Ping Eye 2's.

They will be about 10-20 years old, and will be the best set of irons he can buy for $250 bucks. Some of the PGA pros are still using these irons.

Then, in a couple of years when he figures out what he really wants he can sell them for exactly (or perhaps a bit more) than what he paid for them......or he can continue to keep playing them as they are still the best set of cavity backed irons out there.
    I looked into the Ping Eye 2's on Ebay. Do you happen to know the difference between the red, orange, and blue dot ones?

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread with this question.

My Ride
    STi

Originally posted by Ajay

I looked into the Ping Eye 2's on Ebay. Do you happen to know the difference between the red, orange, and blue dot ones?

They show the lie angle of the clubs.

http://www.pinggolf.com/pdfs/PING_Color_Code_Chart.pdf

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by Ajay

It's really not going to matter all that much unless you are 100% consistent with your swing and deadly accurate.

I would get the Black dots as they are standard and easiest to re-sell. After that, Blue (+1) or Red (-1) would be fine too.