Quantcast
Audi Turbo questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Audi Turbo questions

My Ride
    Audi quattro

Default Audi Turbo questions

well i have a 86 Audi 5000 Quattro Turbo, I want to install a intercooler pipeing kit with a aftermarket BOV, BUT one problem i ran into when taking the intake out there is a very interesting looking sensor(?) or somthing i need to know if there is a way i can eliminate it, i tried running the car without that hooked up int the intake tube but it just stalled out...and also i cannot find the stock BOV on the car...like maybe there isnt one? so anyone have knowledge on these engines that has some info for me that would be awsome... Thanks !!!

My Ride
    oooo

2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    mk4 turbo jetta

i have no idea if it would be similar to newer audi/VW but BOV=
    Audi and VW use a diverter valve re-circulating extra pressure back through the system. A BOV releases it into the atmosphere. This causes CEL and confusion among the engine with the lack of consistency in air/fuel ratios.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Yikes.. any sensor that is in/around the intake is needed.. and most likely a neccessity. Check out Audiworld for more info on your car..

My Ride
    Audi's

Don't do BOV, messes w/ the CIS already metered air. You can do BPV though.

Go to AudiWorld's type 44 5000 forum http://forums.audiworld.com/v8/

Where are you located? In Ladner or Vancouver? Sedan or avant? Pics of your Audi?

My Ride
    Z

Mass Air Flow sensor...?
    if it is, thats definitely something that needs to stay in the intake.
    IIRC you can delete it, AND get away with a BOV by installing a Manifold Air Pressure sensor (MAS) instead of a MAF, but this seems like a lot of work for a sound?

Your stock recirc valves work MUCH better than any BOV, as they don't waste the charge air. A BPV will improve spool time in comparison to a BOV
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Audi quattro

i was in Ladner yepp, but i am in calgary now, BUt, its not like a MAF sensor, cuz its like well hard to explain, when you pull the top off in the filter box type thing, there is a metal circular thing there that when you hit the gas and vacume comes out it lifts the metal thing....so im not sure what sensor that is...and what is a BPV? i know that may sound retarded but yeah, its it like a BOV but just blows it back into the intake? cuz i like the sound BOVs make also so i dont want to loose that it sounds good already but i want to upgrade!!!..

And its a Sedan, it has 18' AMG rims and thats pretty much it, ohh and the rear wheel wells where cut out round cuz stock they are kinda stright like a crysler new yorker style

My Ride
    Z

BPV is a bypass valve, it takes charge air and routes it back before the compressor but still after the MAF and opens when the TB closes, same as a BOV. This is benificial because the charge air in the intake tract raises the intake pressure meaning that the pressure ratio that the compressor sees is lower. This should increase compressor efficiency (lower turbo temps -> lower charge air temps and turbo wear), and also aid spoolup (compressing 3psig air to 12 psig is easier than 0psig to 12).

Also, since the charge air is injected into the intake tract AFTER the MAF, the ECU doesn't lose track of metered air and the car will run better with stronger throttle response.

OR you could get a BOV because they sound cool but imo its a waste of money to make your car run worse and give up all of the benefits of a BPV just for a cool sound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_airflow_sensor
    Your sensor sounds like a vane meter type MAF and its located after the air filter immediately after or in the airbox?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter