Quantcast
Shell Vs. Petro Canada - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shell Vs. Petro Canada

My Ride
    Camaro 2SS

Someone needs to buy an octane tester...

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by 89coupe

What I meant was, buying premium at one pump vs another pump won't make a difference.

The only guys that should be concerned are guys with custom tunes that were tuned on a specific octane.

I see, I might test this out especially since posters have mentioned getting more mileage out of shell rather than other brands
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I see, I might test this out especially since posters have mentioned getting more mileage out of shell rather than other brands
    How can you take any of those comments seriously?

Did they drive in the exact same conditions, on the exact same roads, at the exact same time of day at the exact same speed?

LOL, its rediculous to even mention it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

89coupe I agree. The only difference you MIGHT notice is when you normally get ~600km a tank and now you're getting 500. And even still, it depends on a lot of shit: a/c, driving style, highway vs. city drivng and so on. It's very difficult to do a test like this unless it was on a track using cruise control with no wind all day.
    Ultracrepidarian

What I meant was, buying premium at one pump vs another pump won't make a difference.

The only guys that should be concerned are guys with custom tunes that were tuned on a specific octane.

Your little popfart Honda with a few bolt-ons wont notice a difference.
    I don't understand what the hell you mean by this statement. Why would a car that is tuned to use 91 octane be affected by filling up with shitty gas and a factory car which has been tuned from the factory to run on 91 octane gas not be affected? I can assure you that I have run shitty gas in my Honda Prelude before which is a "popfart Honda with a few bolt-ons" as you so beautifully put it and I absolutely noticed a difference, loss in power, engine knock, and even at it's worst my car did not start at all. So I beg to differ on your statement.

How can you take any of those comments seriously?

Did they drive in the exact same conditions, on the exact same roads, at the exact same time of day at the exact same speed?

LOL, its rediculous to even mention it.
    I also disagree with this statement. I have consistently gotten between 23-24 MPG in my car filling up on Petro for over 18 months now when city driving (Give or take one or two tanks within that time). So if I fill up in shell and get 26 MPG, doesn't that say something?
    Last edited by arian_ma; 07-08-2008 at 02:35 PM.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by msommers
    89coupe I agree. The only difference you MIGHT notice is when you normally get ~600km a tank and now you're getting 500. And even still, it depends on a lot of shit: a/c, driving style, highway vs. city drivng and so on. It's very difficult to do a test like this unless it was on a track using cruise control with no wind all day.
    I agree, it would be virtually impossible to give a reasonable and accurate answer over a single gas tank. However after an extended period of time over the same season, it would be quite easy to tell which provided the greatest yield of mileage.

Fair enough, it would be virutually impossible to give an accurate quantative value on the increased mileage attained without having a completely controlled circumstance as you outlined in your example. However, if numerous people seem to get better mileage on a certain brand of gasoline – wouldn’t you choose that brand if the price was the same (or better as I am seeing in this thread) and both were of equal convenience?

The gain for me would be nominal (I drive only about 15k a year), probably $50-100, however, consider you were interested in making contract with a certain gasoline retail station for a small delivery fleet – that knowledge could be of use!
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 07-08-2008 at 02:46 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

I don't understand what the hell you mean by this statement. Why would a car that is tuned to use 91 octane be affected by filling up with shitty gas and a factory car which has been tuned from the factory to run on 91 octane gas not be affected? I can assure you that I have run shitty gas in my Honda Prelude before which is a "popfart Honda with a few bolt-ons" as you so beautifully put it and I absolutely noticed a difference, loss in power, engine knock, and even at it's worst my car did not start at all. So I beg to differ on your statement.

I also disagree with this statement. I have consistently gotten between 23-24 MPG in my car filling up on Petro for over 18 months now when city driving (Give or take one or two tanks within that time). So if I fill up in shell and get 26 MPG, doesn't that say something?
    I'm sorry that you can't understand. LOL

My Ride
    firebird

^ Hey Neil- FYI my dad's 92 legend has been running on regular since 50k kms when he bought it and it just hit like 430k!

When I drove it, I noticed no sluggishness or changes in performance- you may want to consider throwing regular in teh ole legend to save a few bucks.

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Originally posted by benyl
    petro requires you to have a petro points card to get the discount. Shell gives the discount to everyone.

benyl, are you saying that Shell sells gas at an average of 3.5c cheaper than Petro always? If that is the case I am definitely switching over to Shell, and I'm sure Neil4Speed will be as well!
    Shell and Esso discount at the pump. Whereas P.Can discounts at the till when you use the P.Can Points card.

You can drive to an Esso or Shell, fill up and still received 3.5c off regardless. They don't require loyalty like P.Can does.

Originally posted by msommers
    Go to co-op, it's the same gas as Esso.
    I heard it's Shell gas. Guess it just depends on who you talk to and which Coop Station.

Regardless whether it's Shell or Esso, the Coop gas doesn't have the same additives as Shell or Esso does. So from what I understand it isn't entirely the same thing.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    Sorry to start another gas related thread.

I have been using Petro Canada Premium since I have started driving. What has been enticing me was the 3.5c back that I get with my Petro Points card. However, after reading quite a bit of stuff on here, I notice that Petro Premium isn't very good - per Rage2 and others tests.

I have considered using Shell gas since I have heard some virtues of fuel milage that people have been getting. However, my question is - is there a 3.5c discount offering like Petro Canada, or is the pump price cheaper than Petro?

Air Miles vs Petro Points, I am sure air miles would probably work out better just since they are more versitile. Given my gas consumption though - both are pretty useless. Spending 2k in gas over a year will give me almost enough petro points to get a Thermos Mug or 100 Airmiles or about 2-3 Carwashes . Advantage with airmiles however is that I can earn them at allot of other places well.
    I use Esso on both my cars and the mileage and power are way better than that of P.Can. i also use Shell occasionally and prefer Shell to be honest....not because of their gayass airmiles, but because they have the best fuel out there IMO. But finding a station in a residential area is a nightmare.

In terms of Airmiles, P.Can Points and Esso's Aeroplan Miles, I'd rather have the Aeroplan Miles over both the other two. Air Miles in my opionion are useless, takes forever to accumulate. Shell gives 1 point for the first $20 and additional 1 point for every $15.

Aeroplan gives you 1 mile for every $3.

P.Can....I don't even use their non-touchless carwash. So the points are useless for me unless i want to drop 5000 points on washer fluid.

Your best bet is Shell or Esso.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Shell FTW if you're going for premium. I always get more mileage and smoother idle with Shell V-Power. Center & McKnight is the cheapest Shell station in town.

If you're not doing premium, any gas with an occasional fuel injector cleaner will do. Most of the time I fuel up @ Superstore because that's the most convenient location for me (cheaper premium and 7c back doesn't hurt either).
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-08-2008 at 05:32 PM.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

i get the best mileage from shell. i used to use esso until i found that out.

My Ride
    2014 Scion FRS

so when we ae talking about the mileage, is it shell gas in general or only the premium grade? or all grades?

I, too have been using Petro for about 4 years now, when I heard the funk about getting better mileage with shell, I decided to go ahead and try.
    I recently just emptied my tank and filled up with shell's basic grade. I guess time will tell whether or not it will give better mileage. I'm guessing it will take another fill up to completely get rid of Petro's gas.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

not sure about regular grade. all my cars need 91.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Just a follow up on my original thread. After making this thread, I filled with Shell for a couple of months and found that got about 50 extra km for every 60L filled (~580km). Pretty decent I think!

Recently I found a preferred price card that I had from Petro Canada and decided to give it a go just to save a few bucks. About a week and half in I found that my gas light was coming on, quite a bit earlier than usual and I was getting the old mileage again (~515-520km)

From my experience, I get better mileage from V-power Shell. Plus, Airmiles are better for me than Petro-Points.

My Ride
    Eclipse

GFY Petro-Canada I saved for the 135,000points to get the $100 gift card to find out they raised the price, in the process 1 of the cashiers ripped me off 5,000points and bought a case of water with it, and then said it was my fault....
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

Originally posted by Kobe
    GFY Petro-Canada I saved for the 135,000points to get the $100 gift card to find out they raised the price, in the process 1 of the cashiers ripped me off 5,000points and bought a case of water with it, and then said it was my fault....
    If you have the receipt, take it up with someone higher. The manager or even head office.

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

Hey guys, sorry to dig up a super old thread but I was wondering what the situation is with Shell, PCan and Esso now. I know Esso gives 1.5c off with their speedpass. PCan only gives points with their Petro-Card right? What are some discounts that people are getting these days? I also use my MBNA MC to get 5% cashback (will go down to 3% in a few months).

I recently switched my RSX Type S over to PetroCan because I get a HUGE boost in mileage: from 620km to 710km per tank of 45L (I'm SERIOUS!). Yes, I'm a mild hypermiler, I go easy on the gas =). I really want to switch over to Shell for a couple months to see if I can get even better mileage as many people have seen. Just wondering whether there are any discounts available. I don't really care for air-miles. I currently use my Petro points (and old Esso points) for windshield washer fluids.

My Ride
    oooo

I buy gas for the Passat and work vehicle (Frontier) from Superstore because I get back superbucks for groceries. For my A4 I run Shell. But the Audi uses maybe a tank every 3 months because it's tucked away in the garage most of the time.

If you aren't running a tune then superstore gas on a Presidents Choice credit card gets you a lot of free groceries. We have a Western Star picker truck at work that I run sometimes and when I fill it up it's always min $10.00 in superbucks.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    2003 RSX Type S

Originally posted by sillysod
    I buy gas for the Passat and work vehicle (Frontier) from Superstore because I get back superbucks for groceries. For my A4 I run Shell. But the Audi uses maybe a tank every 3 months because it's tucked away in the garage most of the time.

If you aren't running a tune then superstore gas on a Presidents Choice credit card gets you a lot of free groceries. We have a Western Star picker truck at work that I run sometimes and when I fill it up it's always min $10.00 in superbucks.
    Yea, it's definitely a lot of savings. Only problem is that our family runs a restaurant so I basically buy 0 groceries. I probably wouldn't be able to take advantage of all the superbucks.

Originally posted by i.RSX
    Hey guys, sorry to dig up a super old thread but I was wondering what the situation is with Shell, PCan and Esso now. I know Esso gives 1.5c off with their speedpass. PCan only gives points with their Petro-Card right? What are some discounts that people are getting these days? I also use my MBNA MC to get 5% cashback (will go down to 3% in a few months).

I recently switched my RSX Type S over to PetroCan because I get a HUGE boost in mileage: from 620km to 710km per tank of 45L (I'm SERIOUS!). Yes, I'm a mild hypermiler, I go easy on the gas =). I really want to switch over to Shell for a couple months to see if I can get even better mileage as many people have seen. Just wondering whether there are any discounts available. I don't really care for air-miles. I currently use my Petro points (and old Esso points) for windshield washer fluids.
    620km to 710km?....

can i ask you what you have done to your car/year/mileage?

i run 91 shell in my type s.... i average between 475ish(spirited)-525(normal) i never seen above 550....
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast