Quantcast
Shell Vs. Petro Canada - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Shell Vs. Petro Canada

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Default Shell Vs. Petro Canada

Sorry to start another gas related thread.

I have been using Petro Canada Premium since I have started driving. What has been enticing me was the 3.5c back that I get with my Petro Points card. However, after reading quite a bit of stuff on here, I notice that Petro Premium isn't very good - per Rage2 and others tests.

I have considered using Shell gas since I have heard some virtues of fuel milage that people have been getting. However, my question is - is there a 3.5c discount offering like Petro Canada, or is the pump price cheaper than Petro?

Air Miles vs Petro Points, I am sure air miles would probably work out better just since they are more versitile. Given my gas consumption though - both are pretty useless. Spending 2k in gas over a year will give me almost enough petro points to get a Thermos Mug or 100 Airmiles or about 2-3 Carwashes . Advantage with airmiles however is that I can earn them at allot of other places well.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Esso Speedpass gives you 5 c off per litre and you can get either esso points or Aeroplan points

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

petro requires you to have a petro points card to get the discount. Shell gives the discount to everyone.

benyl, are you saying that Shell sells gas at an average of 3.5c cheaper than Petro always? If that is the case I am definitely switching over to Shell, and I'm sure Neil4Speed will be as well!
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My car backed the ignition timing down using Petro 91 octane. I don't like how they market the 3.5c discount as some Petro Canada perk when all the other gas stations either give it out for free out just remove it from the pump price without mentioning anything.

I only like there automated tire pressure stations.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by 89coupe
    You might want to read this

http://www.performance-shop.com/yabb...8990#msg428990
    Thanks for the link, but I am still a bit confused. Everyone just seemed to bash gas in general in there. How much of the info is true? Can anyone confirm?

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Thanks for the link, but I am still a bit confused. Everyone just seemed to bash gas in general in there. How much of the info is true? Can anyone confirm?
    Did you read Toma's post?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Go to co-op, it's the same gas as Esso.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I agree - maybe I am missing something but it came to the conclusion that gas in Calgary comes from either the Shell or Imperial plant with differences in addatives. Therefore in Rage2's octane tests (I can't find the fucking thread!) he found that that Petro 91 was actually lower than that.

Anyways, Esso has 5c off with Speedpass, Petro has 3.5c off with Petrocard, what is Shells offer if any?

My Ride
    300 Limited

I'd say go with Shell.. they have the tripple Airmile thing going on for Premium gas anyways. I've been using Shell Premium for the last few months, and can acknowledge better mileage on the same tank of gas, vs Safeway & Co-op.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    2013 FR-S

I don't know if anybody else new this, but I found that at Shell on McKnight and Centre St N corner offers more discount off of gas prices than any other Shell I've been to. I think it was 5c and it's available to everybody.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

LOL, the only cars that should be concerned about octaine levels are cars that have a custom tune that was done on a specific octane.

For anyone else running a factory car or a few bolt ons, it wont matter at all.

My Ride
    huffy

Originally posted by Quiet10
    I don't know if anybody else new this, but I found that at Shell on McKnight and Centre St N corner offers more discount off of gas prices than any other Shell I've been to. I think it was 5c and it's available to everybody.
    it is the same thing for that esso on that corner as well, but it is only pay at the pump

My Ride
    Beautifully restored '84 318i

LOL, the only cars that should be concerned about octaine levels are cars that have a custom tune that was done on a specific octane.

Oh boy...

There is another octane thread active at the moment as well and the above simply isn't true... There are piles and piles of car that need premium stock to run properly.
    Gorgeously restored 1984 BMW 318i (E30 body type).
    - E30 body & M10 Engine
    - 17 x 7 Falcon Racing Wheels
    - 205/40/17 Yokohama A520 rubber
    - Completely redone highquality gloss black paint.
    - Looks better than the day it rolled out of the show room.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Originally posted by teg_boya

it is the same thing for that esso on that corner as well, but it is only pay at the pump
    The sign changed at Esso to state a 2c discount only. Whether or not 5c is reflected at the pump, I have no idea. I fill at the Shell across the street and I noticed this just last week. Shell offers 5.5c discount.

My Ride
    huffy

Originally posted by Altezza

The sign changed at Esso to state a 2c discount only. Whether or not 5c is reflected at the pump, I have no idea. I fill at the Shell across the street and I noticed this just last week. Shell offers 5.5c discount.
    Oh, okay your are most likely right. I have not been in that area for a while but when i used to work around there a half year ago there was a 5c a liter discount making it one of my favorite places to fill.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

Safeway will give 7 cents off a liter when you spend $35 or more on groceries and use your safeway club card.

I dont know how good the gas is though, but the SAAB hasnt had any issues with Safeway Premium
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

This is not correct. On a performance car with major aftermarket work the effects of a poor quality premium will be more pronounced however, on a regular car which requires premium fuel the fuel that has the proper octane will provide additional mileage (in my case making it more cost effective to put in Premium vs Regular)

On a related note, I think I am going to move to shell if they are offering simmilar price discounts + 3X airmiles + Better milage.

Thanks for the help.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by 84 318i

Oh boy...

There is another octane thread active at the moment as well and the above simply isn't true... There are piles and piles of car that need premium stock to run properly.
    What I meant was, buying premium at one pump vs another pump won't make a difference.

The only guys that should be concerned are guys with custom tunes that were tuned on a specific octane.

Your little popfart Honda with a few bolt-ons wont notice a difference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast