Quantcast
RC Cars - Page 42 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread: RC Cars

Quote Originally Posted by spikerS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Look into a Traxxas.
    Thanks, I see the Bandit looks not too bad and seems cheap - $400 or so and apparently goes 70MPH. I don't think it's 4WD though but maybe not a deal breaker. I might have to go to a truck to get the style I want though. I also had no idea RC cars had stability control now haha - that's pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by C4S View Post
    Please .. No … No .. I just fixed mine …. bought something similar like 10 yr ago, was fun, fast, and good price at around $150 US back then ..but very fragile, and very hard to find parts ..

The three RC in my photo are like 3 very best I would recommend, especially the Losi Truck, (Losi is one best name in RC business in last 40 year) that Losi Ten Truck was $400 on sale (not sure if it is discontinued) It is big, (basically full 1/8 scale) with awesome Stability system, easily hit 80km/hr plus stock.

Traxxas Maxx is compatible to the Losi Ten, but $800 is a bit too much. (it is new release model, with weak Cad$, it is $500 US)

You can try Model Land, Action Hobbies, they may still have some old stock Traxxas/Losi/Team AE/Carisma/Kyosho I saw some last year.
    PM hobby may have some "off make" 1/10 buggy with good sale price too.

Indeed, with Pandemic now, I highly recommend the Mini Z, for $300, it may sound expensive with their tiny size, but they are fun, and can play indoor.
    Thanks for that. I live in the same area as Model Land but unfortunately they aren't letting anyone into the store for the time being - I definitely want to check out what they have. The Losi 10 MT looks amazing, but a bit expensive - and I don't think it comes with a radio. I will do some more research on it though.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Bandit isn't that good, you better get a AWD, and those “70mph" is just claim under "certain" condition, it is like saying to put a 1,000 HP engine into a corolla, it would be as quick as a Chiron...

I just checked those local RC shops websites, they are still horrible! Not much info, and almost everything out of stock, pricing is also not accurated...

I just found the box of my old RC10 (from 1991 or 1992... ) It was expensive! $325US! Just the chassis! No motor, no radio... It was expensive hobby back then!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    2008 Z06

That's awesome, RC10 bringing back memories for me. I used to live at PMS hobbies, and would drool over the Tower Hobbies magazine for hours.

Bandit isn't that good, you better get a AWD, and those “70mph" is just claim under "certain" condition, it is like saying to put a 1,000 HP engine into a corolla, it would be as quick as a Chiron...

I just checked those local RC shops websites, they are still horrible! Not much info, and almost everything out of stock, pricing is also not accurated...

I just found the box of my old RC10 (from 1991 or 1992... ) It was expensive! $325US! Just the chassis! No motor, no radio... It was expensive hobby back then!
    Good to know, thanks - I will forget the Bandit. I don't love how it looks anyway.

I am really liking the looks of the Losi Ten-MT RTR. $529 (how much is a battery and charger?) seems reasonable, reviews are great, and apparently it does really well in grass which would be a significant part of my usage: http://www.galaxyhobby.ca/index.php?...oducts_id=1822

Complaints seem to be that it's not geared well so running anything above 2S gives you 175 degree++ engine temps, tires baloon easily, and the shock caps are commonly broken. Not sure how serious any of that stuff is, but everything else seems positive. Water resistant, brushless, 4WD, traction control, etc.

What about a 1/8 buggy or 1/14 buggy? The 1/14 in particular look super cool but you probably need smoother terrain for them to run well. I can see how easy it is to own multiple cars and turn this into a giant money pit....

My Ride
    V8s

In my experience, buggies are way less fun unless you're using them on a track.

Quote Originally Posted by cjblair View Post
    In my experience, buggies are way less fun unless you're using them on a track.
    Makes sense. Especially for what I'm going to use it for, something that can easily go more places seems like a better buy.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

The Losi Platform is very good and durable, handle much better than Traxxas (especially with the stability system)

Yes, that 3800kv motor is for 2S (and it is quick and powerful enough) also easier and cheaper to buy battery and charger (say $100 ish if order online )

I swapped the 3800kv motor to 2200kv, so if 6 yr old son can play if with "mild" speed on 2s, and I can play it with 4s
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Back to the 1/14 buggy/truggy/monster truck.

I love it! Love that scale, 1/10 and 1/12 used to be popular scale, but now, if you want to bash outdoor, go to play on snow, mud, grasses,would go 1/8 (the Losi Ten, Traxxas Slash/Maxx are basically 1/8 wheelbase, by call them oversized 1/10)
    However, 1/14 is great size that you can play on your backstreet, indoor carpet or gym, also great to play at skatepark, they are still very fast, and because of small size, more safe than a 7-10 lb Truggy/Truck.

Of course, 1/14 isn't good on grasses, mud or snow... If you go 1/14, the Losi 1/14 8-T truggy is a good choice, about same size as Tamiya 1/10 short version.
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

The Losi Platform is very good and durable, handle much better than Traxxas (especially with the stability system)

Yes, that 3800kv motor is for 2S (and it is quick and powerful enough) also easier and cheaper to buy battery and charger (say $100 ish if order online )

I swapped the 3800kv motor to 2200kv, so if 6 yr old son can play if with "mild" speed on 2s, and I can play it with 4s
    Thanks. So would you pick a Losi Ten MT RTR over something like the new Traxxas Rustler VXL 4x4 RTR? They are the same price and appear to be direct competitors. I really like the idea of stability management, and I am not sure if that Rustler has TSM or not. I know the TEN MT has AVC.

On the flips side, with the Losi it sounds like right away you need to get rid of the 14 hex wheels, get tires that won't balloon, get aluminium shock caps, and possibly change the gearing/oil. The Traxxas seems like it needs less out of the box, but I can't figure out if it has TSM or not. Both are almost exactly the same price. The VXL appears to be newer too but I'm not sure that matters.

Neither have a sensored motor, not sure if that is an issue.

Back to the 1/14 buggy/truggy/monster truck.

I love it! Love that scale, 1/10 and 1/12 used to be popular scale, but now, if you want to bash outdoor, go to play on snow, mud, grasses,would go 1/8 (the Losi Ten, Traxxas Slash/Maxx are basically 1/8 wheelbase, by call them oversized 1/10)
    However, 1/14 is great size that you can play on your backstreet, indoor carpet or gym, also great to play at skatepark, they are still very fast, and because of small size, more safe than a 7-10 lb Truggy/Truck.

Of course, 1/14 isn't good on grasses, mud or snow... If you go 1/14, the Losi 1/14 8-T truggy is a good choice, about same size as Tamiya 1/10 short version.

What I want to do is drive this around my neighborhood (parks, school fields, empty parking lots) - so probably lots of grass driving. Would 1/8 be better? Reviews I read said the Ten MT was great in the grass, so maybe that is the way to go.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-08-2020 at 03:28 PM.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Sound like the Losi would be the best choice for you.

If you go 1/8, will be much more choices, but will be more expensive, you also need to look at 4S, 5S, even 6S LiPo, they are $100 + each ... (Very hard to buy LiPo from overseas now)

The Losi Ten with 2S is fast and fun enough. (That 130A ESC can take 4S!)

You can also look at Arrma RC, they are making some great RC lately after they bought Durango. (World champion RC company)

And somehow, $520 is good deal for that Losi, other RC shops selling got $600ish.

Losi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-N9sjMXDj0&t=464s

(if you want crazy speed with 3S lipo, spend $10 for a motor cooling fan, and make sure change the pinion gear)

This Arrma Truck looks stunning !!

https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/outcast/blx/4x4 (not sure where to buy Arrma now, PM used to sell them)

May be I am getting old, start to love those bad boy truck and muscle car .. I just convert my mini Z to fit the old Radio Shark Mod (?) mini RC muscle Mustang body, and putting old Ford Bronco body shell to my trailer ..
    Last edited by C4S; 05-08-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

Sound like the Losi would be the best choice for you.

If you go 1/8, will be much more choices, but will be more expensive, you also need to look at 4S, 5S, even 6S LiPo, they are $100 + each ... (Very hard to buy LiPo from overseas now)

The Losi Ten with 2S is fast and fun enough. (That 130A ESC can take 4S!)

You can also look at Arrma RC, they are making some great RC lately after they bought Durango. (World champion RC company)

And somehow, $520 is good deal for that Losi, other RC shops selling got $600ish.

Losi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-N9sjMXDj0&t=464s

(if you want crazy speed with 3S lipo, spend $10 for a motor cooling fan, and make sure change the pinion gear)

This Arrma Truck looks stunning !!

https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/outcast/blx/4x4 (not sure where to buy Arrma now, PM used to sell them)

May be I am getting old, start to love those bad boy truck and muscle car .. I just convert my mini Z to fit the old Radio Shark Mod (?) mini RC muscle Mustang body, and putting old Ford Bronco body shell to my trailer ..
    Thanks again that's very helpful.

1/10 seems like the best place to get my feet wet, in terms of cost/value.

That Tenacity-T "Truggy" looks awesome, based on the video you sent anyway, that also looks like it would be perfect for what I want to do. How is that different than the Ten-MT? They look very similar (other than ground clearance I guess) but the Tenacity-T seems like it comes with less issues and includes the different pinion gear for 3S support right in the box. Looks like it might be a newer product, too.

That Arma truck looks very cool too! Not hard to see why some guys have 10+ trucks haha.

EDIT: Is it already discontinued? It looked like it only came out in 2018: https://www.horizonhobby.com/tenacit...rtr-los03011t2
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-08-2020 at 07:20 PM.

My Ride
    bus

What’s a good starter RC truck for an 8yr old kid? I’d need something that won’t break in half the first time he runs it into a wall.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Quote Originally Posted by redblack View Post
    What’s a good starter RC truck for an 8yr old kid? I’d need something that won’t break in half the first time he runs it into a wall.
    If you (him) like a huge monster truck, the Emaxx from the member here is a great choice,

if want a smaller one, can play on your driveway, deck, asphalt, this little guy is good:

https://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/la-trax-...ter-truck.html (Again, they sell other brands in the store, but their website is horrible...)
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Thanks again that's very helpful.

1/10 seems like the best place to get my feet wet, in terms of cost/value.

That Tenacity-T "Truggy" looks awesome, based on the video you sent anyway, that also looks like it would be perfect for what I want to do. How is that different than the Ten-MT? They look very similar (other than ground clearance I guess) but the Tenacity-T seems like it comes with less issues and includes the different pinion gear for 3S support right in the box. Looks like it might be a newer product, too.

That Arma truck looks very cool too! Not hard to see why some guys have 10+ trucks haha.

EDIT: Is it already discontinued? It looked like it only came out in 2018: https://www.horizonhobby.com/tenacit...rtr-los03011t2
    The MT is Monster Truck, with higher ground clearance, better for blah, not as "race/sporty" but I am impressed with those new AVC (Stability system) to make it easier to control.

Kind of shock that Losi discontinued the MT and the Truggy, which was popular, I guess they don't want to fight with the big dog Traxxas ..

Desert buggy is indeed look cool!

https://www.greathobbies.com/product...imilarprodside
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

The MT is Monster Truck, with higher ground clearance, better for blah, not as "race/sporty" but I am impressed with those new AVC (Stability system) to make it easier to control.

Kind of shock that Losi discontinued the MT and the Truggy, which was popular, I guess they don't want to fight with the big dog Traxxas ..

Desert buggy is indeed look cool!

https://www.greathobbies.com/product...imilarprodside
    Yeah it strikes me as very odd that it's discontinued already as it was only released in February 2018. Not sure what's going on there and information is quite difficult to find. I'll maybe give Horizon Hobby a call Monday when they open again just to get the story as I'm curious.

What would be the next best thing? Even Losi's 1/8 Electric Truggy appears to be discontinued - I wonder if they are gone for good or if they're just prepping for a new lineup. Their Nitro 1/8 RTR Truggys and Buggys are almost 50% off too.

The DB is still in stock at least and appears to share the TEN Platform like the other two. Looks pretty good actually, maybe that's all that will be left for me to get haha. This guy absolutely raves about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUpbDoYbTTM
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-09-2020 at 12:54 PM.

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

So, this guy still have stock?

http://www.galaxyhobby.ca/index.php?...oducts_id=1822

Sadly, the R/C business is dying, how often people spend $1,000+ for a toy, and need to keep spending on parts/battery/motor/bodies etc … why not just spend few hundred buck on TV game or even free computer game, without all the mess.... My wife and kids are all addicted to TV/computer games ….my wife wishes I play TV games too .. huge saving … lol

Those big names (Horizon and Traxxas, while Traxxas is still doing well) need to do some new trend to maintain business, while SCT is still popular, Desert Buggy/Vintage Truck is getting cool again!

This Desert truck is cool, but with shipping and so, will be close to $1K cad … I better happy with my Redcat and HPI desert buggy...

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...cks/Nomad/RTR/
    Last edited by C4S; 05-09-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

My Ride
    V8s

I find it hilarious that stability control is a selling factor with RC cars; it's not for me at all. Half the fun of these things is bombing around everywhere trying not to crash, with minimal consequences if you do. Different strokes I guess.

Also Traxxas vs Losi... I think there's a bit of "you get what you pay for". I haven't owned any Losi toys, but my Traxxas cars (and a few people I know that have Traxxas for themselves or their kids) have been absolutely bulletproof

My Ride
    Megun/Kyosho/965

I find it hilarious that stability control is a selling factor with RC cars; it's not for me at all. Half the fun of these things is bombing around everywhere trying not to crash, with minimal consequences if you do. Different strokes I guess.

Also Traxxas vs Losi... I think there's a bit of "you get what you pay for". I haven't owned any Losi toys, but my Traxxas cars (and a few people I know that have Traxxas for themselves or their kids) have been absolutely bulletproof
    I used to think that way, (include real car) I always swap my RC cars radio, so I have few Losi with stability control and I never experienced that untill lately (stuck home, more time) surprise, I like it, especially the way I can trim it, say only turn the stability control to 30%. The main benefit is now the car can go straight with full power on loose surface! The down side is, you need a good servo, perhaps bec.

Losi and Traxxas are two different breed, Traxxas used to make race kit too, (I used to race 2wd with Traxxas) while Losi used to be way more expensive than Traxxas, now they compromise... (Think Mercedes) when Best Buy used to sell Traxxas, it was the good day, so easy to get parts, and they are always on sale... ����️����
    The Original !

1234567, ¦h³Ò¦h±o

AVC is fully configurable for both throttle and steering, and I don't think anyone likes it turned up, based on the dozens of hours of YouTube reviews I've been watching anyway haha. From what I have seen, most guys run it at 10-40% tops. At high settings it's very unnatural, at lower settings it's just that little extra bit of help to keep the car handling like it's on rails. It's also fully defeatable, so you can engage it for fast straight-line driving or top speed runs to help avoid a crash, and disable it for bashing. Best of both worlds really. The other thing it's great for is if you let someone less experienced drive your car, it's harder for them to screw up and the remotes have throttle limiters on them too.

As for Traxxas vs Losi, the big Traxxas trucks seem to be very durable but the RTR kits don't seem to come with the greatest hardware. Most of my experience with them is from ~10 years ago but I think they're both great personally - Losi used to be primarily higher end, now they have something for everyone after Horizon Hobby bought them. Like you said, it seems you simply get what you pay for in most instances - chassis and electronics quality seems to go up proportionately with cost at any given scale. It's hard to judge durability because for every car there is a story about how it's never broke and a story about how it broke on the first battery - IMO it mostly depends on luck when you crash haha. These guys sending the cars 50 feet in the air off BMX bikes non-stop are not going to see the same durability as a backyard warrior.

The Losi Tenaxity DB Pro in particular seems to be the best value I have found even after a bunch more research. I am pretty well set on that one as soon as I can find one in stock. I can't find a bad word about it anywhere, it's ridiculously durable, and it's sold out everywhere (June 1 ETA in most of the USA). The 1/5 scale version is even cooler but too expensive.

I called Model Land, they hadn't even heard of the truck I want and they told me I am looking at $170 for a battery and $300 for a charger. Every other hobby shop seems to be $79 for a Spektrum Smart battery and about $50 for a charger. Hopefully they just messed up and aren't actually that expensive.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 05-11-2020 at 09:21 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Ekliptix View Post
    That's awesome, RC10 bringing back memories for me. I used to live at PMS hobbies, and would drool over the Tower Hobbies magazine for hours.
    Yeah, been out of it for years. PMS now lost the S and it's pretty sad looking inside now thanks to cheap internet parts.

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 32 41 42 43 LastLast