Quantcast
Drumheller, worth a weekend? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Drumheller, worth a weekend?

Default Drumheller, worth a weekend?

Hi Guys, who has been to Drumheller? I'm thinking to spend a weekend day there, anything recommend to see or to do there? or I shouldn't even have this thought?

Thanks!!!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '01 Acura CL Type S

I went there a couple of months ago for a day, went to the museum (wasn't that bad), saw supposedly the biggest dinosaur in the world and on the way back to a Canyon I cannot recall the name of it. It's worth a day trip I say

edit: Horseshoe Canyon
    Last edited by $lick_rYz; 07-11-2008 at 01:15 PM.

My Ride
    '14 Audi S5 /'09 Forester XT

Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller is really good - (world class prehistoric museum with lots of dinosaur fossils)..I don't know about a whole weekend in Drumheller but it's good for a day trip.

My Ride
    93 integra

go camping and go to the museum. Camping is always fun no matter where.

My Ride
    WRX

The Rosebud theatre is near Drum and they put on some good shows there.

Originally posted by Ntense_SpecV
    Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller is really good - (world class prehistoric museum with lots of dinosaur fossils)..I don't know about a whole weekend in Drumheller but it's good for a day trip.
    Very fun day trip, i would probably want to eat a gun if i spent a weekend there though (unless I was camping).
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I travelled to Drum often for work earlier in the year and couldn't ever imagine spending more than 1 day there. Day trip for sure.

I would do just the day trip, there are a few fun things to do there...mostly just the museum, but around the town..there are a few interesting things - such as the giant t-rex and a couple of other outdoor things. But any longer than a day and you'll be bored out of your mind.
    Last edited by gqmw; 07-11-2008 at 03:00 PM.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Dont forget to check out the Atlas Coal mine. Really cool actually as it ctlosed down in 1977 I believe it was. Now a historic site.

All in all I'd spend a day there in Drumheller. I think unless your planning on a lot of chilling and relaxing, that two days a bit of a stretch if you plan on staying active.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    99 Civic SI

its a great weekend trip! horseshoe canyon is fantastic, and its worth taking a whole day to hike through it. Helicopter tours aren't to expensive (75 bucks a person i think, and its maybe 20 minutes overall) and its a pretty wicked view. If you're going to take it, take it first and use it to plan out your hike through the canyon.

The museum is world class and you can easily spend a day there and not see everything there is to see. See as many shows as you can, do all the interactive activites, and if you can, make at least one of the hikes they put on. Its pretty cool seeing fossils still in the ground, gives it a perspective you don't usually think about haha.

Hi thanks guys!!! It looks the "fun" will be burned out within a day over there, haha I'm wondering how people choose to live there :p

But ya I love the hiking idea! Is it possible to find some plant or dinosaur fossils?? around the horseshoe canyon area? (I know it's crazy, but that will be sweet!)
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

I remember once on a elementary school field trip I found a shell of a sea crustacean, only about 5cm long, it was off the trail a ways. The Paleontologist asked to have it... well he took it actually. Everybody was surprised I found a fossill.

That was very close to the Tyrell museum. I'm sure you can find something if you look hard enough. Check out the HooDoos, away from all the other people and paths and you may find something there.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    Dont forget to check out the Atlas Coal mine. Really cool actually as it ctlosed down in 1977 I believe it was. Now a historic site.
    ya we went there for a field trip in junior high (like everyone has in calgary) and they let us climb into that thing, like 3 stories high and creaking all over, the staff was like 'this thing is as sturdy as the calgary tower

oh and there is an abandoned town called East Coulee, they give you the whole nostalgic thing, we were in a school house and the 'teacher' was like if you don't shut up i'll beat you with the yardstick (i guess that was allowed back then) there was even a dunscap (sp) for the misbehavers, there are books with writing on the desks with realy kids writing from like 1930s.
    they try to teach you what kids your age were learning at the time

My Ride
    95 Stealth RT/TT, '72 Duster

Originally posted by n1zm0

oh and there is an abandoned town called East Coulee, they give you the whole nostalgic thing, we were in a school house and the 'teacher' was like if you don't shut up i'll beat you with the yardstick (i guess that was allowed back then) there was even a dunscap (sp) for the misbehavers, there are books with writing on the desks with realy kids writing from like 1930s.
    ther's a town called East Coulee, but it's not 'abandoned'- it's just a plain ole' town . I think you're thinking about the museum that's in East Coulee...

And as a resident of Drumheller, I agree with the others who say it's really only good for a day trip

It's really a radius around town that has a bit of interesting stuff, like the aforementioned Rosebud Theatre, the museum, the hoodoos, etc.

there's a bike show in town today, there's usually stuff like that around too.

Originally posted by n1zm0

ya we went there for a field trip in junior high (like everyone has in calgary) and they let us climb into that thing, like 3 stories high and creaking all over, the staff was like 'this thing is as sturdy as the calgary tower

Brother that's in Mrs. Martin(Fraser kids would know her)'s class went to East Coulee as it was part of their trip. The teacher gave them cod liver oil.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

blonde lady? she brought me outside and told me to pretend like i was getting beat while she whacked the ruler across the side of the wall, there must've been 4 or 5 of us who got in shit for talking while someone had to read from those books, she said 'i don't wanna hear so much as a mouse fart so help me God, i'll beat everyone of you!'

on a side note, school back then must've been strict as hell

nah she had black hair.

My Ride
    09 wrx265

went camping at blood indian 2 weeks ago, on our way home we went to the tyrell museum and horshoe canyon.

my 2 cousin and I also took the 5min helicopter flight around Horse shoe canyon (10min outside of drumheller on your way back to calgary), kinda pricy (45$ for 5min or 9 for 10min) but it was worth it IMO.

where can i book the heli trip?
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    99 Civic SI

Originally posted by signature7
    where can i book the heli trip?
    its first come first serve, but its right off the main highway, lots of signs prior too so just keep your eyes peeled