Quantcast
Is there anyway around the Effective Writing Hold at UofC?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyway around the Effective Writing Hold at UofC??

Default Is there anyway around the Effective Writing Hold at UofC??

Hey guys, just wondering if there's anyway to bypass the effective writing hold that I have thats stopping me from registration for fall 2008 courses. Is there a way that I can get an extension so I can attend school this sept?
    I know I know, I should have taken it first year. However, I was planning to move out of Calgary so I didnt think I needed it. My plans fell through recently so now Im not sure of what to do. If you know of anyway to get around this, please tell.

Thanks in advance

If your in this deep, it'd be wise to talk to the UC undergrad office/writing centre. Not us.
    But all the best.
    Last edited by urbannomad; 07-12-2008 at 12:23 AM.

^^

tell them your situation, and they'll probably let you register but you'll have to get that done asap.
    Mr. Peanut (Niel): George... I win

My Ride
    Bicycle

You gotta talk to the dean of your faculty and ask for an extension.

Originally posted by LongCity
    You gotta talk to the dean of your faculty and ask for an extension.
    +1 I had to do this, wrote a letter to Dean of ENGG explaining why I failed to complete the effective writing and was then granted an extension until dec19th (or something near that date)

My Ride
    Upass

Theres a form at the effective writing office for extensions, you fill out your info and give your reason for wanting an extension. Just say you are going to take an english class next semester, thats what I wrote and I got the extension. I think it took around 7-10 days to get processed. If you're in a rush I guess set up an appointment with the dean.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If you have to say you're going to take an english course to get an extension, by all means do that. But if I had to choose between taking the EWT or taking an English course, EWT all the way. When I did mine awhile back, I showed up late and was done in a half hour. That shit was insanely easy.
    Ultracrepidarian

two ways, either write the test or take a english class at the U or MRC and get an A- (MRC) B for the test or B/B+ in english class at the U.

B for the test?? huh... that's not how the EWT is done at U of C unless you are referring to a test in the class...

My Ride
    Grimace

yah, effective writing is pass, marignal pass, marginal fail, or fail.
    i wrote up a nice essay in about 30mins and got a marginal pass

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

The test at the U is pass or fail. If you don't get I think 70% you fail....which means you're retarded.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Challenge the profs to take the test themselves, betcha a ton of them would fail it.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

Originally posted by msommers
    The test at the U is pass or fail. If you don't get I think 70% you fail....which means you're retarded.

They typically fail 60-65% of the student who write the test, just check the sheet in the office... might want to tread a little bit before firing off statements like that

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Colin, I can understand what I said seems rather harsh. However, I have never done well in English classes throughout my entire academic career and did just fine on this test, so my heart is pretty small towards the people that fail. I have a feeling a large majority of students who write the test do not read the instructions properly, like double spacing. When I turned mine in, I couldn't believe how many students I saw single spacing their shit.
    Ultracrepidarian

Ya true, i'm born and raised Canadian and I failed the test by 1 point on my first try. Not particularly strong in English but due to using improper voice tense (docked for every occassion) because when I wrote the test I was quite rusty and took it lightly. Granted it doesn't take much to fail the test but many educated 1st language English students fail the test, I see it happen quite often. If someone fails due to not reading instructions you can by all means rip into them, but everyone has their own strengths and shouldn't be demeaned for not being strong in English. Otherwise I would go ream into everyone who couldn't succeed in vector calculus or whatever the situation would be... my $0.02

Maybe it's been a while since I've been in HS, but is 75% on the english diploma that hard to achieve? Or getting a B- or better on a UofC english class?

http://efwr.ucalgary.ca/efwr/requirement/exemptions
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Very true Colin. The only problem is that proper English is required in all fields, even if the field in question is vector calculus. Writing at least one paper/project/thesis/essay while in post-secondary is something everyone has to do, no matter what the subject is.

I'm not trying to start an arguement or come across as egotistical. I'm just more or less astounded that so many people fail when a person like myself has sucked in English for as long as I can remember and still made it through ok.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by lint
    Maybe it's been a while since I've been in HS, but is 75% on the english diploma that hard to achieve? Or getting a B- or better on a UofC english class?

http://efwr.ucalgary.ca/efwr/requirement/exemptions
    Yah the 75% isn't that hard, some people have personal conflicts that can screw up high school grades at the end though... and as well Engineering students (like myself) don't have a schedule that fits doing an English option.

Yes I understand that every field requires English writing skills, although in Engineering that is very minimal (never needed thesis papers in calculus). But the problem with that test is depending on the marker they search for very specific details, if you don't write in which they are looking for you will lose large marks. My two problems on my first attempt was he wanted a shorter essay and proper tense, very simple aspects where as the TA I worked with said she would have passed me as she preferred more detail.

My whole purpose was not to fight about this topic, just feel people who fail shouldn't be so easily dismissed or criticized as the % is much higher then you would expect unless you browse the sheet inside the office.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by colinxx235
    Yes I understand that every field requires English writing skills, although in Engineering that is very minimal (never needed thesis papers in calculus).
    I just want to mention that for a practicing engineer, instead of an engineering student, clear communication is vitally important. Engineers work in teams, and being able to communicate with that team is the most important skill you can have. Being awesome at vector calculus matter if you can't express yourself.

I've worked with a couple ESL engineers, and usually they prefer written comunication, since it allows them to more carefully present thier message, instead of speech, which can be hampered by accents.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I did this a year ago. English is not my first language, but I still found this to be pretty easy. I wrote 3-4 paragraphs about my favorite avtivities ( ), and was done in about 30 mins. I got a pass. Taking an English course and getting a B/B+ will be a lot harder than the EWT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast