Quantcast
Anyone else having trouble with Shaw Digital Cable sound? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone else having trouble with Shaw Digital Cable sound?

My Ride
    02 TL1000R, 14 F150 FX4, 11 XKR 175

Default Anyone else having trouble with Shaw Digital Cable sound?

I have one of the older shaw digital cable boxes (motorola) and the last few weeks I am getting what sounds like electronic hissing and popping type sounds. It used to be on only a few channels but is spreading to others.

My gut feeling is that the box is starting to crap out but I wanted to check and see if anyone else is having or had this type of problem.

Yea, I've been getting a similar problem. On a few channels, the commercials crackle my speakers. Its not like those commercials are louder than the programs, but it only seems to do it on a few american channels. I think my digital box is about 2 years old now. I have massive Internet issues with Shaw which will probably prompt a call to them to day, I might ask them about the crackling at the same time.

My Ride

I am getting it during shows and commercials. Doesn't seem to follow any pattern.

Let me know what they say to you.

it is most likely your boxes, the older black boxes which should have the model 21XX on the bottom are quite old now and the tv tuner usually fails in them. you can probably go to shaw and they will exchange yours for another model of the same type or the smaller black boxes which are the 25XX models. and the problem shouldnt persist. and if your having troubles with your internet, check and see if your modem is a docsis (they are the models that stand up straight and dont lie on their sides) cuz if its not a docsis (ie the ones that sit on their sides) you should call shaw and ask for an upgrade, that should fix your internet problem.

also you gotta consider how many other TV's you have plugged in besides the ones in your box, because if you have alot then it really weakens the signal and can cause these symptoms as well.

My Ride
    AWOL

Originally posted by vadeit
    I am getting it during shows and commercials. Doesn't seem to follow any pattern.
    Turn box off then back on while it's happening, see if that helps. Use quality cabling (supplied by Shaw, not ratshack or Munster) and make sure it's all tightened properly. Is it a high-pitched squeal, with reddish static on the screen?

My Ride

Thanks for all the comments/ideas. My internet is fine (shaw replaced our old modem with a new stand up one a few months ago), and there is no problem with the picture, just the sound. The cables are whatever shaw installed when we moved into the house, they put in the box for us. I checked them all and they are tight. We only have two TVs, one on the digital box (the one having problems) and one on normal cable (no problems).

I will check with shaw and see if they will give us a new box (we bought this one years ago). Sounds like it might be the box because the frequency of the sound problems is increasing.

My Ride
    93 gmc sierra

ive had this same problem myself. i found to fix it when u switch to a channel with no sound on it look on the bottom right hand side of the screen where your text box is. if you see a little picture that looks like the dolby picture and its checked off go back to a channel that works then go back to that channel with that picture quickly push the right arrow on your remote and hit ok before the text box goes away. it disables whatever that sound box is and my volume went back to normal and havnt had a problem since.