Quantcast
How can i get this "coating" off my engine bay? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How can i get this "coating" off my engine bay?

My Ride
    03 infiniti G35

Default How can i get this "coating" off my engine bay?

Summer is rolling around and i wanna finally clean the engine bay. But i have this coating around the engine bay, that just makes it look hideous. My mechanic told me that it's a coating the only certain provinces carry. I know its not grease. I've tried using aircraft remover just for kicks to see if it would work but nothing. What would you guys recommend and where would i get this stuff? Thanks in advance. Here are a couple of pictures to give you guys an idea.

Simple Green. You can buy gallon jugs at Superstore. Dump it in a spray bottle and go absolutely nuts. It's biodegradable so you can do it in your driveway if you want.

I'll usually start my engine, get it warm, cover every nook in Simple Green, drive it to the car wash and then rinse it off from there.

You may need to do a couple applications to get through all that. We did one pass on a '92 Dynasty that had never seen soap under the hood and it looked brand new underneath

My Ride
    03 infiniti G35

Originally posted by Mibz
    Simple Green. You can buy gallon jugs at Superstore. Dump it in a spray bottle and go absolutely nuts. It's biodegradable so you can do it in your driveway if you want.

I'll usually start my engine, get it warm, cover every nook in Simple Green, drive it to the car wash and then rinse it off from there.

You may need to do a couple applications to get through all that. We did one pass on a '92 Dynasty that had never seen soap under the hood and it looked brand new underneath
    hmm.. ill give that a try.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It doesn't matter if it's biodegradable Mibs. That shit goes down the storm drain, and into our drinking water supply. It will get back to the cleaning station before it biodegrades.

But it's better than cleaners with very synthetic ingredients I suppose... :P

My Ride
    03 infiniti G35

Originally posted by Kloubek
    It doesn't matter if it's biodegradable Mibs. That shit goes down the storm drain, and into our drinking water supply. It will get back to the cleaning station before it biodegrades.

ugh its a pain in the ass ahha. any other suggestions?

Super clean. They sell it in jugs at canadian tire, or spray bottles. For your mess, I'd buy the whole jug and just put it in a spray bottle yourself.

http://www.superclean.com/product1.php

If I had to guess...that looks like Cosmoline that wasn't removed when you bought the car. It is a waxy yellow coating that is a PITA to get off when it is fresh ever mind after many years. There are a bunch of different products that you can use to remove it, but just make sure they are safe for all the materials in your engine bay. Some really strong cleaners will melt your plastic away. Some clearners like simple green can stain aluminum. I would try to remove it in multiple applications of a lighter cleaner rather than using a heavy cleaner and damaging something, because once something is stained, there is no going back.

My Ride
    2000 Maxima GLE

engine degresser

Originally posted by Kloubek

I was unaware. It's still legal though right?