Quantcast
method to determine your golf hand - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: method to determine your golf hand

My Ride
    Upass

Default method to determine your golf hand

I know this may sound messed up, but I am looking to pick up golf this summer but I can't seem to figure out which hand I am better at swinging with. Heres the thing, swinging with either hand feels almost identical with the left feeling alittle less natural, however I play hockey left handed, and when I was little I used to play golf with right handed clubs (just messing around in a field with my buddies clubs) and I think this has made the right feel slightly better. So what I am wondering is, am I better off going left handed and just working my way through the awkwardness that I built up by playing with the right handed clubs, or should I stick with right?

some extra info just incase it helps, I am right handed, play hockey left as mentioned before, can swing a bat both ways, play tennis with my right, kick with my left, and I am right eye dominant if that matters.

Are there any simple little test to see which hand you should swing with?

Help.

My Ride
    240SX

Go to a driving range with both left and right handed clubs and hit a bucket or two of balls and find which you do better with and which feels better

My Ride
    Grimace

i would say do the same as hockey, having played hockey you would probably have more powerful swings with that hand, along with having used it for so long compared to just dabbling around golfing right handed.

pick up a club hit a ball, repeat with opposite hand, whichever way you hit the ball better giv'r!

My Ride
    Upass

shoulda mentioned that I have been hitting a tenis ball into a hockey net swinging with both hands with my hockey stick and again I can hit them nearly identical. I know that sounds really ghetto, but I thought I would just give it a shot. Its messed I cant do a slap or wrist shot right handed, but once I swing it like a golf swing, they just feel the same. I can't beleive I didnt even think about going to the range to find out. Is it really difficult to find left handed equipment? I figure if it comes down to it, Ill just stick with right if it makes it easier to buy clubs. But again shooting left in hockey is pulling me towars left.

My Ride
    GTI

LOL, I have the same problem. Right arm stronger, shoot left in hockey, catch left, bat right, kick right. I putt left, but swinging a golf club seems awkward no matter what hand I use.

My Ride
    Upass

exactly, it feels equally awkward either way I hit it. If I swing left, my right leg seems week and unbalanced, if I swing right, my left arm feels awkward. Any input on which is easier to correct?

My Ride
    N54B30O1

I shoot left in hockey but golf right. I see the difference this way: in hockey, my left hand is for stability on the stick while the right is really what pivots the stick. In my golf swing, while my right hand is lower on the shaft, it's the one still controlling the club face and taking the impact. All my left hand is doing is "pulling" the club through impact, it's still doing broad motions while my right hand is doing the fine control. So in that sense shooting left / golfing right has some consistency.

Originally posted by Hakkola
    LOL, I have the same problem. Right arm stronger, shoot left in hockey, catch left, bat right, kick right. I putt left, but swinging a golf club seems awkward no matter what hand I use.
    I'm the same way except I putt right.

To the OP, if they feel the same then pick one and stick with it. No point in stressing over it.

If left works for you you'll be able to find cheaper clubs... All the last seasons left overs seem to be left handed (saw an R7 driver last year for $99 less than a right handed club)...

My Ride
    '15 GTI

catching left usually indicates righthandedness?

Wow i thought i was the only one... seems to be pretty common.

Catch left, throw right, kick right, hockey left, baseball swing left, golf left, write right.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I play hockey left and I golf and hit a baseball right handed.
    and I'm much stronger on my right side.

If I were you, I'd go to the driving range like others have suggested. Maybe even hire a pro for one lesson and explain your predicament to them. It'll cost you fifty or a hundred bucks, but you'll get some pointers that will really help you improve.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '05 Subaru LGT wagon (5MT)

I golf and bat right and play hockey left as well. If you are just starting to play golf, left or right may both feel awkward for a while so decide if you want good club selection (off the shelf, instead of ordering) or cheap prices at the end of the season.

Most people golf right so that would be my suggested hand although golfing left has a lot of advantages since most holes are set up to exploit right handed weaknesses like slicing to the right on a dogleg left. Courses around houses usually tend to keep the houses on the left on the tee shot to specifically avoid righties slicing into somebodies window...something else to think about.

Yeah I had a similar problem as well.

I am right handed, throw right, but play hockey left, swing bat left.

I also started out with right handed golf clubs from my uncle just because that's the norm.

I've basically stuck with golfing right, but I've switched to a left-handed putter as I seem to have a better feel from it (probably from playing like that with hockey).

Originally posted by anarchy
    Yeah I had a similar problem as well.

I am right handed, throw right, but play hockey left, swing bat left.

I also started out with right handed golf clubs from my uncle just because that's the norm.

I've basically stuck with golfing right, but I've switched to a left-handed putter as I seem to have a better feel from it (probably from playing like that with hockey).
    Its weird, when i try and make the motion to shoot right with a hockey stick or swing a bat right handed my body just feels uncomfortable doing it , its like my muscles grew into being left handed at sports haha.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

2002civic is offline Held my GTI hostage and got unbanned
    My Ride
    19 SQ5/22 Pilot BE/18 RS3

i shoot left in hockey and golf right handed and do fine at both, do whatever feels mst comfortable and stick with it

if you are unsure and swing comfortably both ways to start, something you might want to consider is a lot of equipment for left handers is limited so you may want to go right.

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

Its tougher to find left handed clubs
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    Supra with a D-Plate

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Wow i thought i was the only one... seems to be pretty common.

Catch left, throw right, kick right, hockey left, baseball swing left, golf left, write right.
    thats me exactly!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast