Quantcast
12psi with a 100 shot - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 12psi with a 100 shot

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Default 12psi with a 100 shot

My buddy has a b20b in his EK that has been bored to 2.2l. No vetec but a forged bottom end with a t3 kit and the usual upgrades on it. He makes decent power and spools by 3k rpm with full boost at like 4.5k. He is thinking of running a bit of nitrous to help him spool faster. But was wondering how much be can run safely with a wet kit. He will be using a wot switch with the wet kit but probably not a pressure switch. If he doesnt run lean with the wet kit, what's the danger in spraying 100shot to redline? If the engine is built to handle upwards of 500hp. He's got a variety of jets but is intent on trying the 100 shot. He even has jets for a 150 shot put aside as well, which i think is completely insane.
    opinions? Info? Comments?
    oh and try and keep the nawz and f&f comments to a minimum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

personally id start with a smaller shot and work up to 100 ... id rather have something go wrong with a 30 shot than with a 100 shot. it takes 5 minutes to swap, so why would you make your first attempt with 100 shot jets?

otherwise, as long as the engine can take it he should be fine. might wanna pull a little timing though and im assuming that he must have some way to monitor the engine. also better to run rich and scale down the jets than to run too lean.

a window switch would also be nice to have. a progressive controller would help lessen the shock of an instant 100hp boost as well.

if hes only doing it for spool up, he really doesnt need such a big shot and doesnt need to take it to redline. even a small shot only needs a second to spool up the turbo.

hope that helps?

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

With a forged bottom end, he should be able to throw in a 100 shot without issues, but the more power you run, the more chance youre going to break something, so just keep that in mind. Speed costs, how fast do you want to go? Anyways, as long as he has a fuel pump and lines that can keep up with the demands of the nitrous, he should be fine.

http://www.idavette.net/hib/nitrous.htm

My Ride

That does help alot. How much should degrees should he back off the timing. Should he run colder plugs eventhough the nitrous is probably just a temporary thing and will rarely be used? If he used it as another power adder would he see that much of a gain once the turbo is spooled? (ie if he kept spraying once his turbo spooled and his tires hooked) I have heard that nitrous becomes less effective at higher rpms. I'll convince him to begin testing with the smaller shot, and throw away the 150 shot.
    She wishes it was deep.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

you could back off the timing 2 or 3 degrees, and yes it will keep making power after the turbo is spooled for sure. We are running a 50 shot on my friend's sr20, AFTER the turbo is spooled, and you definately know its there.

Originally posted by DonJuan
    That does help alot. How much should degrees should he back off the timing. Should he run colder plugs eventhough the nitrous is probably just a temporary thing and will rarely be used? If he used it as another power adder would he see that much of a gain once the turbo is spooled? (ie if he kept spraying once his turbo spooled and his tires hooked) I have heard that nitrous becomes less effective at higher rpms. I'll convince him to begin testing with the smaller shot, and throw away the 150 shot.
    iirc, the general rule is 2 deg per 50 hp. i ran an 80 shot with stock timing without problems however, so you can see what you guys can get away with.

its probably not worth swapping plugs if he only intends to spray a few times at the track or something. depends how the car will be used i guess.

the n2os power will still be added if he decides to spray on top of the boost as well. in fact, from what ive seen, turbo charged engines seem to especially like nitrous ... so remember that his 100 shot may be closer to 100 to the wheels. he may have to readjust his boost setting with the nitrous too; i found that the boost comes on much faster/stronger and he may see some good spikes. i was blowing off intercooler piping once the nitrous hit and the turbos spooled.

edit: im not really familiar with b-series fueling and engine management (i know, this is beyond... i should be banned) but you should make sure that hes using some sort of 1:1 fpr too i guess since iirc the k-series messes with idc to compensate. im sure he has already sorted this stuff out, but never hurts to double check the basics.
    Last edited by s3v3n; 07-16-2008 at 06:24 AM.

My Ride
    A Hobo

if u know the spool isn't full till 3.5k then add a shitload of timing below that rpm . that'll get him up to rpm quicker . using timing in rpm ranges that are out of boost will help get u into boost quicker

My Ride

thanks for the info guys. I'll pass on the info.
    She wishes it was deep.