Quantcast
A tour thru Chernobyl - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A tour thru Chernobyl

Default A tour thru Chernobyl

A tour thru Chernobyl (click next page..)

haha fixed:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html

Last edited by Supa Dexta; 07-17-2008 at 09:54 AM.

My Ride
    Grimace

Default Re: A tour thru Chernobyl

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    A tour thru Chernobyl (click next page..)

http://stix1972.typepad.com/stix_blo...07/30/vick.jpg

fail

My Ride
    SoupRYou

uhh
    sig kinda deleted by moderator, click here for info

fixed..

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

fuck chernobyl amazes me, the whole story the entire event.
    im captivated by it haha..

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

www.rememberchernobyl.com is a site that I own that is dedicated to Chernobyl. I have actually spoken with Elena Filatova on several occassions an am making a trip to Chernobyl myself this coming February.

It definitely is a scary place, and I don't necessarily mean because of the radiation.

My Ride
    Grimace

There was the one documentary posted on here a long time ago about chernobyl that got me interested in it. it is a very interesting subject, i wonder what is going on there now with the work needing to be done on it.

If this is the woman on the bikes she has toured a WWII battleground and found a ton of swag. Very cool.
    Was the #1 Forum Warrior

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Elena Filatova is not quite what she makes herself out to be. One thing you'll notice is that once she arrives at Chernobyl the pictures with her and her bike stop. I suspect she actually went on a guided tour through Chernobyl, as when I have spoken to her the story was never quite the same each time.

I still can't wait to go though, even if I come back glowing yellow

Good Read! Great Pics.

I woud love to do that tour one day.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Dig around on Vice TV's website (vbs.tv).
    There's an amusing video of Shane Smith and some chick getting piss drunk, loading up with semi-auto tactical rifles, and heading to Chernobyl to shoot radioactive pigs.

Goddamnit it looks like fun.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

yes it's really fascinating to see photo's ....it's a very good reminder of what can happen.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

i've always been interested in the Chernobyl incident, iguess any ghost town.the first being 3 Valley Gap in B.C, very creepy when you're 6 y/o and you get lost by yourself for half an hour

but Pripyat is the most astonishing, 50000 ppl pick up their lives and abandon the whole town/small city really (well obviously they had to)

in COD4 i was amazed with what the ppl at activision pulled off, one of the best levels in a video game i've ever played.

Last edited by n1zm0; 07-17-2008 at 10:54 AM.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Orignially posted by Kritafo
    yes it's really fascinating to see photo's ....it's a very good reminder of what can happen.
    ...when you have incredibly lax safety standards, poorly maintained equipment, and poorly trained employees performing dangerous, unauthorized experiments.

Context is important.

Nuclear power generation is incredibly safe, and we should be utilizing it on a much larger scale. The only reason we aren't is because of idiots that believe in the Nuclear Boogeyman.
    Using Chernobyl as the posterboy for the dangers of Nuclear Power is like using a beat to shit '81 Plymouth Horizon with no breaks, driven by a drunken 14 year old, as an example of how dangerous cars are.
    Founding member of the Leave-Me-Alone-atarian party of Canada.

My Ride
    Acura Integra

I don't get how radiation can just "linger" on plants and stuff

^ Plants are made out of the earth and water in which they grow, just like you are made out of the building blocks that came into you through your food.

Radioactive elements made their way into the environment and settled on the ground, into the water, onto biomass. These things become incorporated into new biomass. Just to give you an example:

Strontium 90 is a radioactive element. Bio-chemically, it binds in a similar fashion to Calcium. Strontium 90 ends up on grass, which is eaten by a cow. The cow digests the grass and uses the building blocks within to produce milk. The Stronium 90 acting chemically like Calcium, is bound into the milk. When the milk is ingested and digested by a calf or a person, the milk is broken down and some of the elements are taken into the body.

Strontium 90 will then continue to act like Calcium and will bind into bones and bone marrow.

When you die (bone cancers are a byproduct of Strontium contamination), the Strontium goes where your bones go, and as your bones break down into the earth or wherever, the Strontium 90 keeps moving on...
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by n1zm0
    I knew COD4 was going to come up eventually, rofl
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    Acura Integra

Originally posted by BlueGoblin
    ^ Plants are made out of the earth and water in which they grow, just like you are made out of the building blocks that came into you through your food.

Radioactive elements made their way into the environment and settled on the ground, into the water, onto biomass. These things become incorporated into new biomass. Just to give you an example:

Strontium 90 is a radioactive element. Bio-chemically, it binds in a similar fashion to Calcium. Strontium 90 ends up on grass, which is eaten by a cow. The cow digests the grass and uses the building blocks within to produce milk. The Stronium 90 acting chemically like Calcium, is bound into the milk. When the milk is ingested and digested by a calf or a person, the milk is broken down and some of the elements are taken into the body.

Strontium 90 will then continue to act like Calcium and will bind into bones and bone marrow.

When you die (bone cancers are a byproduct of Strontium contamination), the Strontium goes where your bones go, and as your bones break down into the earth or wherever, the Strontium 90 keeps moving on...
    Great answer, thanks!

So basically on the road it's less radioactive because the asphalt can't absorb any of the radioactive atoms. But once she walks off the road onto the grass, the counter goes nuts because all the plants and stuff have absorbed the particles?

Is it also possible for the particles to settle like dust on surfaces? (She was saying how some rooms in buildings were dangerous)

Originally posted by Schwa

Great answer, thanks!

So basically on the road it's less radioactive because the asphalt can't absorb any of the radioactive atoms. But once she walks off the road onto the grass, the counter goes nuts because all the plants and stuff have absorbed the particles?

Is it also possible for the particles to settle like dust on surfaces? (She was saying how some rooms in buildings were dangerous)
    Its not the particles settling like dust, its the dust that has absorbed the radioactive properties (why she said she made the trip solo so that no one is kicking up dust infront of her)

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Originally posted by Eleanor

I knew COD4 was going to come up eventually, rofl
    yah but how sick is that lol
    that didn't even register when i was playing that level, i was just trying to cap all those mother fuckerss.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast