Quantcast
RSX Airbag - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RSX Airbag

Default RSX Airbag

Hey, just wondering if anyone knows how easy, or hard for that matter, it is to remove the driver's side airbag?? I know, it's not right, blah blah blah, but any help would be appreciated.

Brand new RSX type S!!.....needs some soul to it...

My Ride
    2018 Ford F150 SCREW

Drive straight into a wall at 80. This should expose the airbag. Just pull it out.

Originally posted by ramminghard
    Drive straight into a wall at 80. This should expose the airbag. Just pull it out.
    hahaha!

why would you want to take your airbag out?? that's like asking to be a contender for a Darwin Award!

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

ya man, if you get into an accident and your insurance co finds out that you messed around with the airbag they won't cover you. Its actually againsed the law to disconect an airbag even though lots of people do it.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by legendboy
    ya man, if you get into an accident and your insurance co finds out that you messed around with the airbag they won't cover you. Its actually againsed the law to disconect an airbag even though lots of people do it.
    As much as I hate airbags, what legendboy says is correct. If you get in an accident where you have removed factory airbags, your insurance is null and void (depending on how anal your insurance co. is). If it's an expensive one with multiple parties and they don't pay out, you're screwed.

On a side note, did you know airbags were created to protect occupants when they're not wearing their seat belts? In fact, if you have your seat belts on during a frontal accident, chances are, you'll be more injured with the deployment of airbags than without airbags in the car.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

On a side note, did you know airbags were created to protect occupants when they're not wearing their seat belts? In fact, if you have your seat belts on during a frontal accident, chances are, you'll be more injured with the deployment of airbags than without airbags in the car.
    Oh come on now... now you're just spouting off unsubstantiated blah blah blah!

Loose - your friendly proffessional accident reconstructionist.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Loose
    Oh come on now... now you're just spouting off unsubstantiated blah blah blah!
    It's not unsubstantiated. I'll dig up the reports when I get home. Front airbags are useless if you're wearing your seat belts.

Lemme rephrase... they're not useless. If you're wearing your seat belts, in like 5% of the accidents, it'll help. The other 95% will bruise you more. Won't kill ya, but it'll hurt you more.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Z31 turbo, MPV V-6

hmmm hurt or be killed... tough choice

I would take the risk of hurting myself financially in an accident, but I haven't had an accident in like 8 years, and I gotta agree with the fact that I think airbags would hurt the driver. Think about this: The driver has a whole bunch of other stuff to do, like concentrate on the road, steering, and what not, I don't want to have to worry about an airbag blowing up in my face. Plus, aftermarket steering wheels are way cool. Also, are the cops gonna give you hassle if they see a MOMO steering wheel or something like that?

My Ride
    1990 300ZX GS body w/ 1993 JDM VG30DETT front clip

im lookin for rsx airbags man, if u get emw out PM me.....

My Ride

yo ill take em right now man, i got somewhwere to take ur bags out too eh......

My Ride
    12' Audi A4

Originally posted by sandman
    im lookin for rsx airbags man, if u get emw out PM me.....
    You blew your bags?

U know if u are replacing seats u can just unhook the sensor off the seat, so it won't pop out while u take the chair out... it's a hassle w/ our type-s though, since we get heated seats...

Good Luck!
    PS: it's the basix, but d/c the negative~~

My Ride
    350Hp Ford 302 powered Volvo 740 Turbo

This statement is completely wrong, I hold my second degree accident reconstruction certification and air bags are designed to work in conjunction with seat belts. This is why they are called a supplementary restrain system, the seat belt being the primary restraint. In fact Mercedes Benz initially had sensors that if the occupants were not wearing their seat belts the air bags would not deploy. The majority of air bag injuries are received by occupants who are not wearing seat belts, they are thrown forward and struck by the deploying airbag. There are many, many myths and mis-information regarding air bags, not many people fully understand their function, dangers, and benefits, and the media love to publish half truths and opinions.
    Volvord 784VC
    www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord

My Ride
    2005 S50

If you want to remove the airbag definatly take it to the dealer. Can be a difficualt job. Probobly will trip some code's in your ECU 2. And air bags can cause injury while going off, and most likely will but it's better than tasting the steering wheel's lovely fabric.

It's not unsubstantiated. I'll dig up the reports when I get home. Front airbags are useless if you're wearing your seat belts.
    Any chance you have those reports? I don't know anything myself but everything I've heard is the exact opposite, that airbags are to be used only with seatbelts, and are dangerous when you are not wearing a seatbelt (or are a small child/woman sitting close to the stearing wheel).

My Ride

wow this is all jus fascinating, but, if u want to ged rid of ur airbags, i will take them, i got a friend who wants a set, andw e'll pay decent cash too, and maybe even get a place for installl, or, uninstall i guess?, PM me

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by szw
    Any chance you have those reports? I don't know anything myself but everything I've heard is the exact opposite, that airbags are to be used only with seatbelts, and are dangerous when you are not wearing a seatbelt (or are a small child/woman sitting close to the stearing wheel).
    Oops, totally forgot about this thread. Did a quick search on google and this is the only semi-relevant article that I found :

http://www.airbagonoff.com/rbarticle.htm

I've seen a lot of research articles from NHTSA and DOT years ago but can't seem to find them on their site no more. I did research into this a few years ago when my aunt was knocked the fuck out from airbags when a rock from a truck ahead hit her bumper. She then ran onto the sidewalk while unconcious and stopped when she nailed a fence.

Basically, when you're wearing seatbelts, it holds you in place so you don't hit the steering wheel. There's no need for front airbags in cases like this. If you're a small or large driver (basically your face is close to the steering wheel) and you're wearing your seatbelt, you're gonna get nailed by the airbag + cover @ 200mph. If there was no airbag, you would not be nailing the steering column. If the impact was hard enough to send the steering column towards you, no airbag's gonna help there.

If you're not wearing seatbelts, you're heading towards the steering wheel, that's where the airbags save your ass.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/airbgQandA.html

NHTSA allows you to disable airbags too (if you qualify).

Oh, and side airbags are fine, because they do protect you since seatbelts don't help there.

My Ride
    350Hp Ford 302 powered Volvo 740 Turbo

I've seen a lot of research articles from NHTSA and DOT years ago but can't seem to find them on their site no more. I did research into this a few years ago when my aunt was knocked the fuck out from airbags when a rock from a truck ahead hit her bumper. She then ran onto the sidewalk while unconcious and stopped when she nailed a fence.

Basically, when you're wearing seatbelts, it holds you in place so you don't hit the steering wheel. There's no need for front airbags in cases like this. If you're a small or large driver (basically your face is close to the steering wheel) and you're wearing your seatbelt, you're gonna get nailed by the airbag + cover @ 200mph. If there was no airbag, you would not be nailing the steering column. If the impact was hard enough to send the steering column towards you, no airbag's gonna help there.

If you're not wearing seatbelts, you're heading towards the steering wheel, that's where the airbags save your ass.

WRONG, This type of information KILLS people. I have worked with the major American automobile manufacturers and the National Safety Council, I have taught airbag safety to law enforcement and rescue personnel. Air bags are extremely dangerous if they deploy when the occupants are not wearing seatbelts. Injuries also occur when the occupant is positioned too close to the airbag as in when the seat is close to the steering wheel, children are also at risk because there heads are below the impact zone of the airbag.

The article on the link is valid and there is much research on airbag safety and injuries/deaths, but no where in the article does it say anything regarding not wearing seatbelt, actually most of the injuries investigated are from just that, occupants not wearing seatbelts and the injury sustained from contacting the airbag directly. The reason for the new standard of low velocity airbags are to try to prevent these "non-belted" airbag injuries, but the manufacturers are in a dilemma of developing a "soft" airbag that will deploy fast enough to function correctly.

For your own safety, wear your seatbelts, the airbags will provide an additional level of safety.
    Volvord 784VC
    www.telusplanet.net/public/gilesij/Volvord

I highly doubt the dealer would do it for you. Maybe if you knew them well, and it was going to be a track only car... but not on a new, factory warrantied car that is obviously driven on the street

Dealers/ muffler shops cannot legally remove cats, which is a far cry from the legal ramifications of a bag removal.
    Last edited by stockEK; 09-12-2003 at 11:33 AM.

Well, we're gonna go try to remove it this afternoon, I hope everything goes well, and I don't have an airbag blowing up in my face, because that would suck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast