Quantcast
Good beginners bike? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good beginners bike?

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

Originally posted by japan_us
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that your Class 5 is your Class 6 learners, and that the piece of paper that you get at the registry just means that you are permitted to take the Class 6 test, provided that you do it within the next year.

In any case, good for you. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.
    True
    Originally posted by Unknown303
    Everything makes me upset.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    Nonsense. You've all got slanty eyes, play Starcraft, speak Chinese and eat nothing but sushi and ginger beef.

DON'T TRY AND CONVINCE ME OTHERWISE

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by japan_us
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that your Class 5 is your Class 6 learners, and that the piece of paper that you get at the registry just means that you are permitted to take the Class 6 test, provided that you do it within the next year.

In any case, good for you. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.
    Thanks for the info man, I didn't actually know that. In fact, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to bikes (obviously, lol). I guess I have some more reading to do

remember AGATT definately.

i plan on buyin some leather pants or a leather suit soon,

but right now when i ride is helmet, gloves, jacket (back protector, shoulder protectors, elbow and forearm protectors are with the jacket), riding boots and jeans.

unfortunately i dont have leather pants but i have knee and shin guards i wear if im goin far distance (ie. highway riding or sorts)

try to go to a store and than try on everything that fits you.

copy down the item model and name than look for it online, it will save you lots of money.

helmet wise.

try on some helmets for at least 15 minutes (if you feel any pressure points, don't get it or youll find riding is annoying cause youll always have that pain) Now tight helmets are different from pressure points for only the fact that it hurts.

your helmet you should be able to bite your cheeks with no problem at all if its a right fit. Make sure you when you turn your head side to side it doesn't slide. Try to move the helmet side to side also, your face should move with it and same as from top to bottom. The chin strap should have 2 fingers worth of space between your under your face and the strap.

now regardless the name brand a shoei will protect like a hjc.

a helmet that is DOT certified will always just be a DOT certified helmet. Name brands offer more though like comfort, fitment, how heavy the helmet is, noise reduction.

personally suomys and arai helmets are more noisy than shoei's.

a nice helmet personally that fits my head is a shoei rf-1000, I tried some suomys and arais and found they hurt my head and a size up was too big.

My Ride

Originally posted by GQBalla
    remember AGATT definately.

but right now when i ride is helmet, gloves, jacket (back protector, shoulder protectors, elbow and forearm protectors are with the jacket), riding boots and jeans.

unfortunately i dont have leather pants but i have knee and shin guards i wear if im goin far distance (ie. highway riding or sorts)

try to go to a store and than try on everything that fits you.

copy down the item model and name than look for it online, it will save you lots of money.

helmet wise.

try on some helmets for at least 15 minutes (if you feel any pressure points, don't get it or youll find riding is annoying cause youll always have that pain) Now tight helmets are different from pressure points for only the fact that it hurts.

your helmet you should be able to bite your cheeks with no problem at all if its a right fit. Make sure you when you turn your head side to side it doesn't slide. Try to move the helmet side to side also, your face should move with it and same as from top to bottom. The chin strap should have 2 fingers worth of space between your under your face and the strap.

now regardless the name brand a shoei will protect like a hjc.

a helmet that is DOT certified will always just be a DOT certified helmet. Name brands offer more though like comfort, fitment, how heavy the helmet is, noise reduction.

a nice helmet personally that fits my head is a shoei rf-1000, I tried some suomys and arais and found they hurt my head and a size up was too big.
    I hit up GWC cycles today and picked out some gear. I got myself a jacket, riding gloves, and a helmet. Went riding for a bit today and had a blast- I should have got a bike years ago.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, tips, and tricks

awesome!!
    we should arrange a beyond.ca group ride

My Ride

awesome!!
    I'd definitely be done for that after I get a bit more experience and am a bit more confident on my bike.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

A 600 has way more power then most people can and ever will use. Great choice on bike. Don't try to pass someone and smash into a truck

My Ride
    22 ZR2, 06 YZ250, 77 KZ1000 supercharged

I think the courses are good for people who need them but is not a pre-requisite to ride. If you have the right intelligence you can manage a bike. A smart rider can manage the throttle. Perhaps my previous car racing assits I dont know. But I dirt bike all the time, so I feel quite confident on 2 wheels, epecially this year.

My first bike we will be a Vmax. Just waiting for the car to sell.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

awesome!!
    Originally posted by A790
    I'd definitely be done for that after I get a bit more experience and am a bit more confident on my bike.
    I'd be down as well, need to pick up my bike first though
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride

Originally posted by theken
    A 600 has way more power then most people can and ever will use. Great choice on bike. Don't try to pass someone and smash into a truck
    Too paranoid right now to do anything even remotely sketchy. All I'm concerned with is getting from point A to B smoothly.

^^ werd -

too many idiots out there -

yesterday i was riding and 2 gixxers decided it would be cool to come up right behind me,

flash their high beams at me
    than wheelie past me...i was already doing 85 on stoney...and these guys flew past me.

all they were wearing was helmets....

My Ride

^^ werd -

too many idiots out there -

yesterday i was riding and 2 gixxers decided it would be cool to come up right behind me,

flash their high beams at me
    than wheelie past me...i was already doing 85 on stoney...and these guys flew past me.

all they were wearing was helmets....
    Those are usually the type of guys that get killed too. I know that 90% of motorcycle accidents aren't the cyclists fault, but you know that excessive speed takes its toll.

Originally posted by Hollywood
    I think the courses are good for people who need them but is not a pre-requisite to ride. If you have the right intelligence you can manage a bike. A smart rider can manage the throttle. Perhaps my previous car racing assits I dont know. But I dirt bike all the time, so I feel quite confident on 2 wheels, epecially this year.

My first bike we will be a Vmax. Just waiting for the car to sell.
    A V-max huh?

Good luck with that

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Word, 140hp, in a shitty frame, with even shittier brakes sure makes for a great starter bike.

thanks for buying some gear, sure is comforting to know fellow riders are understanding that asphalt + speed = brutal and very bloody accidents. Too many people think that accidents cant and dont happen to them, and that just drives me up the wall.

Suomy has many different lines. The Vandal series are quite quiet, incomparison to their Extreme series. Their Extreme series are extremely loud, so much that you may as well be not even wearing a helmet.

Also, people should read up on the differences between BSI certification and Snell certification. I can go into that now, but its almost 10pm and I have to be up in 5 hours, so I wont. But perhaps I'll digress on that later.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

thanks man ^^

everytime i ride i wear helmet, my leather jacket with back protector, shoulder protectors, elbow and forearm protectors , boots, gloves and jeans

i know i should get leather pants soon though.

i just feel naked with out my gear on lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2