Quantcast
Good beginners bike? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good beginners bike?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Default Good beginners bike?

Hey guys;

I have absolutely no experience with a bike aside from a dirtbike I used to ride like eight years ago. Anyway. with gas prices jacking the way that they are I figure a smaller bike will probably kick my cars ass in terms of fuel economy.

What's a good beginner bike? I was thinking something like 250cc, but I have no idea what to look for.

Any suggestions/tips would be great, thanks!

Take a course. I suggest Too Cool Motorcycle School.

There, you'll get to have riding experience on different bikes of varying power and style. Although all will be under 600 CC, you'll get to ride cruisers as well as sport.

Since you have no experience this would be your best bet for both your own personal safety as well as helping you decide what bike fits you best.

And other recommendations for someone in your position would just be a shot in the dark because who can really tell you what's best for you if you haven't had any exposure to it to even provide further input?

For the record I've taken Too Cools Basic course and it was the best decision I ever made regarding bikes. This year I took their advanced course at Race City, and it was the 2nd best decision I ever made. If anyone tells you that education isn't necessary they don't know what they're talking about.
    Last edited by SilverBoost; 07-19-2008 at 11:00 AM.

My Ride

That sounds like a great idea. One thing that I'm definitely concerned about is safety, and you know, not becoming a semi-solid paste on someones car.

I'm leaning toward a crotch rocket just because I've never found cruisers really interesting, but obviously I don't want to get something too powerful and kill myself the day after I get it.

Another vote for a training course like Too Cool or Safety Council.

Once you've done that, the you can start casting around for a bike: it sounds like you are looking for a smaller, fuel efficient commuter machine. If you have the inseam for it, a dual purpose bike will probably be your best bet. Even a larger one like a KLR 650 will get very good fuel economy indeed and something like a Yamaha XT225 even better.

The advantage of these bikes as commuters is that you sit high with good visibility, they are nimble at low speed, have low end torque, and have long travel suspension that makes crummy Calgary roads seem less potholed.

the down side, of course, is that the smaller engined machines aren't much for highway riding, though even the XT 225 will maintain 110 km/h if it has to.

Sorry - started my previous post before your reply.

Sportbikes can be good all-rounders if you choose one that is comfortable for you. the 'benchmark' entry level sportbike is a Honda CBR600. They do have pretty significant peak power, but are actually quite docile in the bottom half of their rev range.

Motorcycle safety is ultimately all about what's in your helmet. If you take the training, and hold fast to some basic safety rules, you'll be pretty safe.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

My Ride
    EM1

How much do classes at these schools run for?

My Ride

Originally posted by BlueGoblin
    Sorry - started my previous post before your reply.

Sportbikes can be good all-rounders if you choose one that is comfortable for you. the 'benchmark' entry level sportbike is a Honda CBR600. They do have pretty significant peak power, but are actually quite docile in the bottom half of their rev range.

Motorcycle safety is ultimately all about what's in your helmet. If you take the training, and hold fast to some basic safety rules, you'll be pretty safe.
    I don't commute to work since I work from home, and I live in an area where 80 is the fatest that I'll be going. I'll check around for bikes around that range.

My girlfriend really isn't thrilled about me buying a bike (she's convinced that I'm gonna die on it), but I personally don't see what the big deal is. I don't drive my car like a maniac, why would I be any different on a bike? I suppose the most significant change I'd have to make is to ride like everyone else on the road is trying to kill me (so I've heard).

Originally posted by BlueGoblin
    I have a CBR600rr and the power level is easily controllable for a beginner (ie: me) below 6-7000rpm; above that it is a whole different bike and the power comes on fairly hard.

I also took the course with too cool and would recommend it, especially if you're not sure what kind of bike you're the most comfortable on. Though they are booking into September now for the basic course.

My Ride
    Cbr600F3, Dodge Colt 90hp!

Originally posted by A790

I don't commute to work since I work from home, and I live in an area where 80 is the fatest that I'll be going. I'll check around for bikes around that range.
    If you looking for fuel efficiency and don't want to go super fast ( like over 150km/hr). I'd suggest the following bikes,

Suzuki: Gs 500, DRZ400SM (motard), SV 650, the 400cc Bandit

Kawasaki: 250 and 500 Ninja's, KLR650, Super Sherpa, Ninja 650, Versys

Honda: CBR125r

If your aiming for fuel efficiency I'd skip the 600cc super sports, To get any fun out of them you need to rev to the moon. When you do that, the fuel efficiency is the same or worse then a car.

Like that say, "Its much funner to ride a slow bike fast ,then it is to ride a fast bike slow.."
    Last edited by MikeHL; 07-19-2008 at 11:14 PM.

The CBR125R is pretty small, I wouldn't feel to comfortable on it. Check out the WR250s the X (Motard) or the R (dual purpose). Bow Cycle and Blackfoot had them.

My Ride
    05 R6

honestly go to a 600 i was in the same boat as you and never road anything but a RM 125. Depending on how responsible you are a 600 should be fine its something you can grow into and it might take you a while. If you go for a 250 or anything like that your going to out grow it way to fast then you have to try and sell it to get something bigger. As for beginner bikes the R6 is meant to rev high and hates the low RPMs and I think the same is for the CBR600. However I have been told by a few ppl that the GSXR's have the low end and don't mind the regular city driving/riding. But then again it's your call dude and I'm sure you will have fun with what ever you get...Good Luck!

My Ride

What about a Kawasaki EX500R? They're pretty inexpensive and seem to have a decent amount of power for a starter bike. Anyone have any experience with them?

My Ride
    Cbr600F3, Dodge Colt 90hp!

Originally posted by A790
    What about a Kawasaki EX500R? They're pretty inexpensive and seem to have a decent amount of power for a starter bike. Anyone have any experience with them?
    The EX500 (Ninja 500) is a great bike to start on. It should of plenty of power to get you around town and on the highways.

My Ride

Originally posted by MikeHL

The EX500 (Ninja 500) is a great bike to start on. It should of plenty of power to get you around town and on the highways.
    Wicked, I bought one yesterday so I'm hoping I made a good choice.

^^^

Smart choice A790

Perfect starter bike -- enough power to ride on the highway, light and predictable. Pretty good resale too.

My Ride
    a minivan, a maxima, and a KLR

Great choice for a bike, A790. Did you grab some good gear as well? Be smart and ride ATGATT

My Ride
    CBR600RR

Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
    Be smart and ride ATGATT
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    a minivan, a maxima, and a KLR

All The Gear, All The Time

My Ride

Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
    Great choice for a bike, A790. Did you grab some good gear as well? Be smart and ride ATGATT
    LOL actually, since I don't even have my class-6 learners, I'm getting the previous owner to ride it to my place for me Thursday night. As far as gear, he offered me some stuff but I doubt it'll fit me. I was going to get some riding boots, gloves, a jacket, and a helmet next week.

I also signed up for the Saftey Councils motorcycle course for August 25th, so I suppose I'll be limited riding until then. End of season kind of blows, but I'd rather be safe about it. I'm very excited about it though, but I'd rather do it right the first time than wind up toast.

My Ride
    Ducati 1199, BRZ

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that your Class 5 is your Class 6 learners, and that the piece of paper that you get at the registry just means that you are permitted to take the Class 6 test, provided that you do it within the next year.

In any case, good for you. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast