Quantcast
Please critique/hate/flame my workout routine please! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Please critique/hate/flame my workout routine please!

Default Please critique/hate/flame my workout routine please!

I have no real experience with a trainer, i've always done things my own way. I am back down to 185 from 194 during Stampede. I am still a little flabby and want to really hit my mid section, inner leg area, and pecs. I am not looking for chizled abs, pecs, and being huge... Just want to lean out and get some good shape. Diet is good, just my workout routine needs tweaking.

Day 1 - "Mid section"
    Sit up (15 rep/4 sets)
    Hold dumbells at chest level and twist from right/left (15/4 sets)
    Hold dumbells at side and lower/raise arms to target sides (hard to explain lol)
    30 mins cardio on bike
    Ab machine @ gym (15 reps/4 sets)
    Rotary Torso @ gym (15 reps/4 sets)

Day 2 - "Upper Body"
    Lie on my back on workout ball and do 15 reps/4 sets dumbell press.
    Pushups 15/4
    30 mins cardio on bike
    Pec dec machine 15/4
    Chest Press machine 15/4
    Arm extension machine 15/4

Day 3 - "Lower Body"
    Wall ball - Me standing with my back facing the wall and the workout ball against the wall. I hold out a 10lb weight straight and kneel/stand up.... 15 reps/4 sets
    Lie on my back on the floor and do "figure s's" with my feet. 15/4
    30 mins cardio on bike
    Leg extension machine 15/4
    Leg press machine 15/4
    Inner thigh machine 25/4

Any insight is appreciated

My Ride
    Does it really matter what I drive?!?!?!

I would actually try and stay away from machines and use more free weights or even body weight.

Abs:
    1) You should try and do planks, those really hit hurt.
    2) Exercise ball (should be pretty firm), lie down on it (mostly with your lower back) with your feet against the wall so your knees are bent to a 90 degree angle and do crunches.
    3) I understand what your second ab exercise is. A good one for obliques is using this machine: http://www.theexerciseequipmentstore...line_45hyp.jpg

and lie on your side (if you lie on your right side, have you left foot forward and right leg back (I hope that makes sense)) your right arm dangling down and your left arm on your side. Bend down as far as you can and lift up "crunching" your left side, do 20 each side and you'll feel some pain.

Upper Body:
    Where is your back and shoulder workouts?!
    1) Instead of regular push ups. Mix it up a bit and use a medicine ball. Do a push up with the ball in one hand roll the ball to your other hand and do another push up with it.
    2) You can also use a stepper doing push ups if you don't want to use the medicine ball. You place the stepper in front of you and you just alternate hands each time you do a push up.
    3) Do a chest press with free weights instead of a bar

Lower Body:
    1) Sumo squats will get your inner thighs and butt oh and quads! You can also do sumo squats with a stepper, just use one step and have one leg on it while you do the squats.
    2) Step ups
    3) Not sure if I can explain this properly but these will workout your butt and quads. It's a very simple workout, but I find them killer. Find a pole, you can use the cable machine (that's what I've been using) and hold on to it below your chest level. Have your left leg behind your right and then go down as if your sitting on a chair, but go beyond the 90 degree angle (the lower the better) and slowly come up. I usually do this exercise last.

Overall body workouts:
    1) Burpees are good for upper and legs.
    2) Use a medince ball or even a free weight and have it in one hand while you lie down on a mat with the weight above you (so right above your head). Try and get up with the weight always above your head. You can use your free hand to help you up. Once you're up, try and get back down with the weight still above your head. Hope that makes sense!

Let me know how you with those exercises.
    Where are all the materialistic people?!

Diet is ok? What is ok? Diet is 80% of weight loss.
    How many calories are you taking in? What are the break down of calories? How many meals are you eating? Are you eating breakfast?

What is cardio on bike, do you sit there and watch tv and just pedal or are you paying attention to your heart rate and attacking it with HIIT?

What equipment do you have access to? Do you work out at home/gym? etc...

Breaking up your workout like you are for your goals seems counter productive. I would concentrate on full body workouts with compound movements for your goals. Squats/Deadlifts/Bench... mind you this depends on your health, especially your back health.

Spending a day on your 'mid' section is unnecesary.. you can train core everyday, or every second day (or not at all depending on what exercises you are doing). I would avoid machines if possible, if you are looking for usable strength, dumbells, kettlebells, barbells ftw.

Check out www.crossfit.com they have a plan for you everyday and you can modify the exercises to your abilty. The workouts build stregth while raising your metabolism at the same time and you will lean out in no time. Other alternative like the px90 that is floating around would be a better choice than your current.

When I am trying to lean out I will cut approx. 500 (3200-3500) calories a day, start the day with some HIIT (boxing, skipping, running, cycling) and eat a big breakfast. 3-4 more meals/snacks in the day, an evening of my choosen weight bearing exercise (power lifting, kettlebells, crossfit, olympic lifts etc...) my dinner meal, usually followed with a walk with the gf. Have my shake before bed (with a slower milk protien) and back at it the next day (weights every 2nd day for me, cardio 6 days, walking everyday).

Following this I went from 230 to 170 in about 9 months dropping bf from roughly 30+% to 11%. (I was cycling fat burners throughout so that my body did not get used to them)

I find weight loss very personal and you need to find what works for you personally, so take what information you can find and try it and see if it works. I suggest constant change though, never let your body get used to what you are doing to it.

Good luck