Quantcast
Helpp syncing my 42" lcd to my computer. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Helpp syncing my 42" lcd to my computer.

My Ride
    SR20 240sx / 2002 Jeep

Default Helpp syncing my 42" lcd to my computer.

Hey guys, ive got an HP computer with the normal video card. im looking to have my LCD tv as a Second monitor so i can veiw it from the lounge chair in my room.

what do i need pick up to get it done?

Most lcds now have a vga connection, so just get a vga cable and you should be good to go.

My Ride
    Jetta

Exactly. S-Video can sometimes be used but it gives you a shit maximum resolution (600x480 or whatever).

Best case scenario, upgrade your video card to one with an HDMI port for maximum effect.

even if your video card isnt hdmi, if there's a DVI port, you can get a DVI to HDMI adapter. Same video quality.

My Ride
    SR20 240sx / 2002 Jeep

i still want to keep my computer monitor working at the same time though. so i can either sit at my desk. or lounge in my chair. dont i need like two video cards? or one with two ports on it for 2 monitors?

My Ride
    SR20 240sx / 2002 Jeep

also my tv is a good 15 feet away from my computer. can i find a cord that long?

You would need 2 video outs on your computer. And 15ft vga cables arnt hard to find. I ended up just buying a cheap video card with dual outputs and went from there. I can use either my monitor or the tv, or extend my desktop accross both.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

If ur looking for cables, buy from Monoprice.com, prolli get some shipped to u for under $15
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    SR20 240sx / 2002 Jeep

kkk thanks guys.

My Ride
    2005 Honda Civic

Whoa, stop everything. There's a lot of mixed information here.

First of all, if your LCD television is high definition, you're going to want to send it a digital signal for the best picture and VGA cables are only capable of an analog signal. Look on the back of the television for a HDMI or DVI input and look on your video card for a HDMI or DVI output. Whichever you find on each side, you'll need a cable to connect the two and for 15 feet you're going to need good quality copper to avoid signal degradation. Check out a company called Alberta Computer Cable at www.cablesbyacc.com, they'll make you whatever cable you want in their factory here in Calgary and have it shipped out to you wherever you live/work. I bought a component - VGA cable from them 2 years ago and that's a cable that you'll never find just sitting on a shelf somewhere at Radio Shack. It was custom made.

But what you want done, I already have done with my projector and computer monitor, you simply need a video card with dual output, preferably one of them being DVI/HDMI. If you don't have this, you have to go buy it.

Then just plug them up, download the newest drivers, configure and you're set. I'm not trying to say I know more than people who posted previously but just wanted to make sure you got the right information so far. Especially avoiding analog video signals.
    Originally posted by adamc
    you can pretty much skip over any posts that have no punctuation, as a general rule of thumb.