Quantcast
1st car. advice? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st car. advice?

Lightbulb 1st car. advice?

hey , i just got my license and i have around $3000-$4000 to spend on a used car.

I was looking at the 1989 to 1993 legends...are they reliable? is it worth buying a car if its above 200,000km?

and how much would insurance roughly be for me , 18 , New driver

Thanks very much

My Ride
    See sig

Insurance rate really depends on the car, I was paying $300 a month when I was 18.

Those legends are rusting out, parts are becoming less available, and 200,000km is too much for $4000, definitely in a Legend. Maybe 5 years ago it would have been okay, but now they are just getting too old if you want reliability. With this kind of used car market you can get something way better than a 94' Legend for $4k, just stay away from JDM if this is going to be your sole vehicle.

What are your goals with this car? Do you want just a daily driver, something fun to drive, something to learn about cars with?
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

IMO look for the lowest mileage domestic you can get in your price range. Cavaliers/Sunfires if maintained can be reliable as a daily driver. Honda's are overvalued in Calgary so you will end up with an older, higher mileage car that will probably have some rust issues.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Originally posted by heavyD
    IMO look for the lowest mileage domestic you can get in your price range. Cavaliers/Sunfires if maintained can be reliable as a daily driver. Honda's are overvalued in Calgary so you will end up with an older, higher mileage car that will probably have some rust issues.

For your first car, you just want something to get around in safley. Plus it would be cheaper on insurance. If you ever get into a "newbie crash", you wont feel so bad about a cavalier being banged up compared to something you put a lot of effort and money into.

FYI, i was paying $350/month PL/PD as a new driver (6 years ago, things might have changed)
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Default Re: 1st car. advice?

Originally posted by wca.
    hey , i just got my license and i have around $3000-$4000 to spend on a used car.

I was looking at the 1989 to 1993 legends...are they reliable? is it worth buying a car if its above 200,000km?

and how much would insurance roughly be for me , 18 , New driver

Thanks very much
    I think a Legend is a good first car if you have a little bit of bank roll to support the operating costs. It was my first car, and overall if you take care of it they are fantastic car to drive with a great online community at Acura-Legend.com. They are big, safe (should be a #1 Importance), very comfortable, and an enjoyable driver (much more so than a Cav/Sunfire etc)

If I were you I would look for the 92 (standard dual airbags) - 95 models. There are quite a few out there that are in very rough shape, so don't rush into things and get one that is in great condition, with all records. They are out there, a few that are original owner as well. You can get them for a good price.

The main thing to look for is blown head gaskests, thats a huge repair if it happens and is worth about 2k. There are allot out there that have already got them replaced with new motors so that might be a good choice. Ways to look for this are looking for oil in coolant, Milkshake like residue on the radiator cap, Overheating, Gunk in the coolant bottle (low coolant), and a Compression Check. Watch out for people who say they have replaced the rad or thermostat lately for no undue reason, might be a BHG canidate.

There are other things that can come up - AC compressors, Main Window Regulator, Clocksprings, Main Relay and Speed Sensors. These things are reletively cheap to fix and the Window Regulator/Main Relay you can do yourself.

Parts are quite easy to get for these cars, there are a few in junkyards that you can get random pieces from (I got newer seats in mine). Allot of the parts are mixed between quite a few acuras.

Your 18, so try to go for the coupe, they have a better look to them if you ask me and is very comfortable. Also, the 6-speeds (if you can find them, between 93 and 95) give better mileage and are quick as they are mated to the Type II 230 hp motor.

The insurance should be ~1600 a year as you would just get the basic insurance on it. Its the same as all "beginner cars" I believe.

The gas milage is pretty average at best, and require premium by the manual (although there are people who run regular with no problems). Expect about 600km City and 700km hwy on the 6-speed manuals, and about 450km City and about 575km hwy on the automatics - on $80 of Premium.

Also 94-95's got a revised trunklid and front bumper.

Budget about $100 a month for maintanance and repairs (Including tires) and you should be just fine. Allot of the basic maintainance you can do yourself - I did.

I know that this one is sold, but would be a good guideline.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...QAdIdZ63919407

I have a 94 6-Speed coupe with 400k km and I like it very much. Feel free to ask me any questions when it comes to legends. If your seriously looking at one, I am more than happy to help you out.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 07-29-2008 at 09:14 AM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    crx sir

considering gas prices i dont think hondas are overvalued they're reliable and cheap on gas.personaly i would rather spend more on a fuel efficent car than a gas whore.parts are'nt hard to find for the car you want there's tons of legends out there.as for insurance i might be able to get you a cheaper rate through a friend of mine who's an insurance broker pm me if interested

My Ride
    AWOL

My first was an 86 Prelude for $2k, split with my gramps who took it around the US for a few months... got that thing to 380k and the only real work I did was the timing belt. It used 7L/100km at the worstest of lead-footed times (so, all the time, I was 16 after all). After 5yrs the rust had gotten bad (underneath), it needed a valvejob and the clutch was gone so I got rid of it...

Right now I'm on a 1992 Chrysler Dynasty that cost $400 and has lasted 4yrs with only oil and an exhaust patch. It's comfy, 4dr, big trunk, 3.3L V6 with 177hp/172ftlb...

Guess it depends what you need it for (commuting to work? picking up barskanks? peen replacement?) and how low you're willing to go haha oh and how long you plan on keeping it

PS. don't buy a Pontiac Grand-anything, Sunfires seem ok for cheap...

My Ride
    A Slow Car

I personally would not go with a cheap domestic cars like sunflower or Cavaliers. Although some seller might say it's been well maintained, i still woudn't trust them. Older GM cars were known to have an electrical problems on them. For $4,000 i would get into a japanese car like civic or a corolla, or sentra's. Japanese cars are the best bag for the buck in gas, reliablity, quality, great re-sale value, economical, easy to fix, easy to find parts, mainstream cars.

Edit: Try this
    I'm sure he'll drop the price if you negotiate with him/her.
    Last edited by R!zz0; 07-29-2008 at 11:46 AM.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    Honda

Look into '92 & up civics. For insurance purposes, call the Bow Valley insurance, although you are under the grid and will be for a while, they may have it cheaper. You can get away with $150 max a month on one way insurance.

My Ride
    AWOL

occasional driver under the parents, $20/mo ftw... just... drive occasionally

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

I think you should buy my 1990 Ford Probe LX...good shape, nice power, only $1000.00.
    Then you've got $3000.00 left over to trick it out!!

My Ride
    93 Civic SI

yeah when i was 18 i was paying around $325/month.

the last thing you want is an accident or your rates will go through the roof.

now im in BC and im paying $100/month for full coverage

I would be using this car to get to school / work almost everyday and for a leisure car. I want it to be something iam proud of. O and id be wanting to drive it for at least 4-5 years.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/765900262.html
    170k 1991

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/762150511.html
    200k 1989 , coupe $2200

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/745206730.html
    236k $5000

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/738008749.html
    80km, 93',$5500

Not down for a probe lol

Did you guys say that its not worth buying if its above 200km?

thanks for all the replys

Find the newest Civic/ Corolla that's in your price range.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Dude, for a first car, make sure it meets the following criteria:

+ LOW HORSEPOWER.

+ Not too many electronic creature comforts. That shit breaks over time.

+ No turbo/supercharger. That accelerates engine wear, is more costly to maintain, and goes against the first rule

+ A proven winner. Cavaliers/Sunfires/Civics/Corolla's will run until the end of time if you treat them okay.

Oh, and the best advice? DON'T DRIVE THE SHIT OUT OF YOUR CAR. Every car is unreliable if you drive the snot out of it.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by wca.
    I would be using this car to get to school / work almost everyday and for a leisure car. I want it to be something iam proud of. O and id be wanting to drive it for at least 4-5 years.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/765900262.html
    170k 1991

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/762150511.html
    200k 1989 , coupe $2200

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/745206730.html
    236k $5000

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/car/738008749.html
    80km, 93',$5500

Not down for a probe lol

Did you guys say that its not worth buying if its above 200km?

thanks for all the replys
    Definitely go for the 1993 - that is actually a very good buy.

Take a look at this one too in vancouver - he has been selling it for a while you might be able to get it for a good price if its in a good shape.

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-ve...QAdIdZ56365610

As said above, don't buy a Legend if you want some tunerboy fast car, go buy a Skyline or a Soarer or something. They are fast enough but are really a very comforable cruiser.

How much do you drive a year? or will you? For me at least the cost of driving my car vs a Civic is pretty minimal on a yearly basis considering the mileage that I do, probably a couple hundred bucks.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 07-30-2008 at 08:27 AM.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by rexsir
    considering gas prices i dont think hondas are overvalued they're reliable and cheap on gas.personaly i would rather spend more on a fuel efficent car than a gas whore.
    To each their own, I guess, but...

For about $4000

1996/97 Civic, 115 hp, 200,000km+

or

2003/2004 Sunfire, 140hp, 80,000km+

And you'd save a whole whopping $300 on gas in a year between the two
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

For about $4000

or

That's my point. You are better off with a 2003/2004 than a miled out Civic as I don't care how reliable the car is, a high mileage car has been through much more than a low mileage car and Sunfires/Cavaliers aren't that bad as a commuter car as there are still tones running around on the streets.

I suggest a '95ish chrysler cirrus. You get along of bang for your buck and an overall reliable vehicle. They sell for around 2-3000 apiece. Check them out.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

For about $4000

or

+1... i totally agree, my first car was a skyline and let me tell you that was a MASSIVE mistake.

the car was a money pit.

the legend would be an awesome car to own but probably too much given the amount of money that you have to work with, and im pretty sure insurance would hit you pretty hard too.

if a single thing goes wrong on that legend its going to cost you out the ass. plus it has a 6 cyl engine so the gas milage wont be the greatest.

as i said, i love a Legend but it wouldnt be the best car for you.

an older car with higher miles will need more work than the alternative, and as your first car you should be more worried about reliability and fuel economy than how cool it looks, wait until you have more cash flow for that.

if you pick up a sunfire or cavi you wont look too great, or be fast, but you wont be dumping tons of money into the car and it will get you where you need to go.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast