Quantcast
Got a ticket, the cop misspelled my last name? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Got a ticket, the cop misspelled my last name?

Default Got a ticket, the cop misspelled my last name?

Like the title says, I got a ticket, and the officer misspelled my last name. He left out a letter, I realize this has prob been asked before, but search didn't help me out much. I apologize if I missed a thread with info on this.

Anyways, do I still have to go down and see a JP, or can I just forget about it? Thanks

edit:
    I'm sure some will ask, I was doing 66 in a 50

Of course you still have to see them... can't just ignore it and assume the problem will go away unless you'd like a warrant.

Talk to them... ask if it's still valid. If not, they will throw away. There's your answer.
    Last edited by BlackArcher101; 08-03-2008 at 09:00 PM.

doesn't he have all your info?

My info? I suppose, all I know is he wrote a ticket, but screwed up my name. Only reason I ask is cause I have heard so many times over the years that a mistake can void a ticket. Never been lucky enough to have it happen to me before, until now. Just wondering if all the hype about a misspelled ticket is true.

Anyone ever have this happen? Thanks

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

you can phone them the day before the court date and see if the cop has submitted the ticket, chances are he will not submit it once he realizes his error, i just went through this last week.

i dont have the PH# right now, but i posted it in a thread i started called &^&%$%$ street racers, last post i made in there should have the number
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

i took my ticket to the justice of the peace or whatever in the rocky mountain plaza downtown

stood in line for about an hour
    she looked at it and the office didn't put "'05" for the year so it was invalid

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I had this eons ago as well. I just paid the ticket like a man.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I had this eons ago as well. I just paid the ticket like a man.
    Yes, it takes a lot of manliness to pay a ticket. Your ancestors who were out clubbing dinosaurs would be proud.

Originally posted by szw

Yes, it takes a lot of manliness to pay a ticket. Your ancestors who were out clubbing dinosaurs would be proud.

haha...i chuckled when i read that

Barlow is offline I was under probation for 2 years

doesn't matter if he has all your info, if he does come to your place looking for the person on the ticket, he won;t find that person, therefore your scotch free.

feel free to disagree, but it happened to me.

I once had this happen... got a noise violation ticket after our entire house got shitfaced at the bar and started jamming really late... at like 4AM or something. Haha the cops came the the house and we couldn't hear them banging on the door, so they started flashing us with their flashlights through the windows and yelling for us to open the door. We kept on playing for at least another 10 minutes.

Anyway, got a total of like $300+ of tickets. Haha but when they finally mailed the ticket my lastname was misspelt by one letter.

I just threw the tickets in the garbage... it's a federal offence to open someone else's mail

Default Re: Got a ticket, the cop misspelled my last name?

Originally posted by Deville
    Like the title says, I got a ticket, and the officer misspelled my last name. He left out a letter, I realize this has prob been asked before, but search didn't help me out much. I apologize if I missed a thread with info on this.

Anyways, do I still have to go down and see a JP, or can I just forget about it? Thanks

edit:
    I'm sure some will ask, I was doing 66 in a 50
    My buddy got a ticket about 2 weeks ago and the cop wrote 2007 instead of 2008. Then he went and talked to them at the downtown office and they just tossed it out.

mispelled name is not fatal. There are other identifiers on the ticket such as date of birth, address, DL number, physical discriptors, etc. Id can be an issue at trial, but a missing letter does not make a ticket invalid automatically.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.

My Ride
    NBP EM1

x2

Originally posted by kaishen

haha...i chuckled when i read that

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Call in, check the rules to see if its valid, will take you 15 mins and potentially save you a to of hassle. The beyond responses are great but they are not a replacement for actual legal opinion
    Autosignature

I had my name misspelled, but Dayglow is right,
    they will still get you.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

They had my first and last name completely wrong (My name isn't Bluff Dogan) and they just corrected it and I still had to pay.

Originally posted by DayGlow
    mispelled name is not fatal. There are other identifiers on the ticket such as date of birth, address, DL number, physical discriptors, etc. Id can be an issue at trial, but a missing letter does not make a ticket invalid automatically.
    So if all they have on you is a misspelt name and an address you're renting from... how will they track you down? My ticket was back in Ontario and I was renting from this deadbeat landlord... would they hit up the landlord to get my full name?

I haven't gotten any mail regarding this at my personal address in Calgary... haha I just assumed that the problem went away. They mailed a ticket to someone who didn't live at the house, so the ticket was thrown away.

I called the police station in Kingston and asked 'what would happen if the last name was off by one letter and the person on the other end wouldn't give me an answer. He kept on asking "Can I please have the number on the ticket" or something and I kept on responding "No, you don't get it, this is a purely hypothetical situation!" Still no dice... the guy wouldn't tell me if the ticket was valid either way.

Ontario court is different from Alberta court, so who really knows. It all depends on how much info they have on you. Your copy of the ticket may only have a name and address, but there are a lot more boxes on the officer copy that they fill out. It all depends on the info the cops had that wrote the ticket.

Worst case senario is that there is a warrant for your arrest floating around Ontario for those tickets.
    "It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong....I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives.