Quantcast
Good 4 post lift? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Good 4 post lift?

Default Good 4 post lift?

What would be a good 4 post lift to research, around 2-3k?

The most popular ones seem to be liftking.ca and carlift.ca from what I've seen?

Also, something I can't figure out, is if it requires special wiring (kind of like how a dryer can't just plug into any electrical socket)? I've read the manuals and all they say is 'consult an electrician for wiring'

My Ride
    300C srt8, Venza, F150, Expedition

220v/30-40amp will kill you

consult an electrician

regular outlets are 110v/15amp
    Burn some serious rubber on your Wedding Night!!

Renovating a home the hard way:
    http://propertysensei.wordpress.com/

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I know few of the ones I did in Vernon required 3ph's. Cost the guys 10 to 20 grand to get the service in.

I have heard good things about lift king and I think there is a thread on beyond about them somewhere
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 08-07-2008 at 02:02 PM.
    Cos...

Originally posted by barmanjay
    220v/30-40amp will kill you

consult an electrician

regular outlets are 110v/15amp
    Website says 3hp 110v (220v optional). I guess if you use the lower voltage itjust takes longer to raise/lower it?

My Ride
    Stuff

I have a lift king in my garage and it's great, I have it plugged into the ordinary 110v outlet. Just don't bolt it into your floor unless you know what you are doing. We put a Corsa exhaust on an SRT-10 and if we didn't have the lift it would have been a major pain. If you really want to throw some money out you should also get the hydraulic center section that lifts the wheels off of the runners, that's my next purchase I think.
    I like cars.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

We have two carlift brands at home and they have been great so far..... plugged into the wall without problem.

Does anybody know the main differences between a lift king and a carlift brand? As I said, these 2 are the ones that keep coming up again and again, with the carlift being ~900 cheaper.

Also, do lifts come with some type of drip pan (or similar) to go underneath the vehicle when it's hoisted up for storage? I noticed some leaking brake fluid from my Z06 today (when I overfilled the clutch master cylinder) and realized I never thought what happens when/if fluids leak onto the car parked underneath....

Originally posted by Cody D
    I have a lift king in my garage and it's great, I have it plugged into the ordinary 110v outlet. Just don't bolt it into your floor unless you know what you are doing. We put a Corsa exhaust on an SRT-10 and if we didn't have the lift it would have been a major pain. If you really want to throw some money out you should also get the hydraulic center section that lifts the wheels off of the runners, that's my next purchase I think.

What is the purpose of this hydraulic center section? (i undertsand to lift the wheels off the runnres, but why do you want to do that?)

My Ride
    Stuff

I've seen a couple different brands and I have to say that I don't think any of them are worth much more than any other. I guess go look at a carlift and then a lift king, see if one looks more solid than the other. That's what each will claim.

The Lift King one that I bought came with three drip trays, a drip tarp, the four large casters for moving it, and the heavy steel ramps. The other thing that was nice about the Lift King was that it was delivered for free, but they charge a lot more so it should be delivered for free.

As for the hydraulic center section, the problem with the 4 post runner style lifts is they are not designed for vehicle maintenance like the non-runner style, what the center section does is it lifts the car off of the runners so that you can do wheels up work like swapping tires, or doing break work without having to use a bottle jack or some other setup. You can still do a lot of work without the center section, I've done lots of different things, it would just be nice to have one.

One other thing you have to consider is raising your garage door runners, mine were at 8 1/2 feet so I had to raise them so they hugged the roof.

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    Does anybody know the main differences between a lift king and a carlift brand? As I said, these 2 are the ones that keep coming up again and again, with the carlift being ~900 cheaper.

Also, do lifts come with some type of drip pan (or similar) to go underneath the vehicle when it's hoisted up for storage? I noticed some leaking brake fluid from my Z06 today (when I overfilled the clutch master cylinder) and realized I never thought what happens when/if fluids leak onto the car parked underneath....

What is the purpose of this hydraulic center section? (i undertsand to lift the wheels off the runnres, but why do you want to do that?)
    I like cars.

My Ride
    s14

Sounds expensive. I was looking at some at work, in a catalog, and somewhere like 15000.

Can you get a decent one installed for like 3000?

Originally posted by Cody D

One other thing you have to consider is raising your garage door runners, mine were at 8 1/2 feet so I had to raise them so they hugged the roof.

That's an absolute must for me - my ceiling height is ~11 1/2ft, but the runners are around 7ft.

Probably going to have to re-do the entire garage door

My Ride
    Stuff

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    That's an absolute must for me - my ceiling height is ~11 1/2ft, but the runners are around 7ft.

Probably going to have to re-do the entire garage door
    If you can get some one to actually show up the price is about $1000-1500 depending on what you want to change. I saved money by not going to a side mount opener and I still have the door really close to the ceiling.

The owner of Lift King said he knew a guy who could do it for under $300.00, but he wasn't a professional garage door installer (probably still do a good job), I opted to get the same people who initially installed the door when the house was built to do it and it worked out good, but a little more expensive.
    I like cars.