Don't get me wrong, I'm all for cracking down on idiot drivers... but I can't help but notice all the posts ranting about how "great" the legislation is (I was going to post but too cheap to upgrade my account).

Then I recall the excellent article on beyond about how innocent people are being targeted by an overzealous police force that needs a kick in the butt... funny how I remember my days in Ontario being tailgated by four a**hole OPP officers on bikes (going 140km/h), as I let them pass and went to get gas at the Shell station they went to get food.

Love it 150 vehicles seized and not one with a court order just the OPP.

source: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...05/182909.aspx

Street racing legislation saving lives, police say
Posted: August 05, 2008, 8:52 AM by Suzanne Steel
City, Crime, toronto, Traffic
Police laid at least 5,000 traffic-related charges on Toronto area highways over the holiday weekend and seized 150 vehicles under the province's new speed racing legislation.

OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley said one of the cars seized was that of a driver from New York who was clocked at 227 kilometres an hour on Highway 407. Wooley reported a 40% drop in fatal high speed crashes compared to the same time last year -- something he attributes to saving the lives of an estimated 80 people.

"If you can put this into perspective, that's 80 more people that are alive compared to the same time last year, so this isn't some little fluctuation," Woolley told 680News.

He said the number of charged laid meant about one ticket every three minutes in the Toronto area.

Under laws that came into effect last October, speeders doing more than 50 kilometres above the speed limit can be hit with fines of up to $10,000. They also risk having their vehicles impounded and their licences suspended on the spot.