Quantcast
how do you apply for a PARDON? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: how do you apply for a PARDON?

Default how do you apply for a PARDON?

Has anyone gone throught the procedure of applying for a pardon for a previous offense?

I read online but there are many different approaches. I'm trying to find the fastest and most effective way.

My Situation: I was charged with trafficing of illegal drugs (ecstacy) and posession (about 30 pills) about 6 years ago when I was a minor.

If an employer does a background check, will this be shown?
    Also, would this prevent me from going out of canada (to states or international)?

thanks!

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

403 266-1234 has all your (legit) info.
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    Highlander

If you were a minor and all the charges and court dates ect were all completed while you were still a minor, it's probably not on your record anymore. Wouldn't hurt to pull your records though and check.

My Ride
    CBR600RR

What Melinda said.
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

where/how do I pull my records to check?

My Ride
    Highlander

Go to/call the police department, they should be able to help you out

if you were charged as a young offender then, your record shouldn't show up with a record check... i beleive only the cops and prosecutors have access to young offender records... i may be wrong

Originally posted by Melinda
    If you were a minor and all the charges and court dates ect were all completed while you were still a minor, it's probably not on your record anymore. Wouldn't hurt to pull your records though and check.
    NOT TRUE! Sorry guys, but everything in this thread is wrong to a certain degree.
    I have a youth charge for assault. I thought exactly how everyone else in this thread did. "oh it won't show up when they do a criminal record check on me cuz i was under age."

Fucked myself for a job at RBC cuz i checked off the box "no i dont have a criminal record." What happens is that when the company does the background check, they call and the person looking up the record is allowed to say that so and so does have a youth record, but they cannot say for what offense.

I was a bit confused though, because i had a job at TD. Apparently it depends on who they talk to when they're checking your record. so you MAY strike lucky.

Now as for as going about and getting it pardoned, if your record is within this province it will take about 6 months, and i believe $56 or something. If its out of province it'll take about a year or something like that. Go to your local police station, ask for the sheet to get your charge pardoned, on that sheet it'll have pricing and the location of where you have to go and i believe some personal info you have to fill out.

Yeah that sounds right... They can say that you do have charges under the young offender act... they just can't dislose what those charges are..

Default Re: how do you apply for a PARDON?

Originally posted by crxboi
    Has anyone gone throught the procedure of applying for a pardon for a previous offense?

I read online but there are many different approaches. I'm trying to find the fastest and most effective way.

My Situation: I was charged with trafficing of illegal drugs (ecstacy) and posession (about 30 pills) about 6 years ago when I was a minor.

If an employer does a background check, will this be shown?
    Also, would this prevent me from going out of canada (to states or international)?

thanks!
    To answer your questions:

Go to a local police station and request/pay for a record check of your name, what you see, is what an employer will see. It is always best to get a pardon though, especially if its a young offender mishap! You will be permitted to travel, just prepare for some time coinstraints. It is also hard to get back in when you have a record.

For the record, all of this is from personal experience.

Good luck!

My Ride
    fast and red.

I could be wrong, but I thought that if you attempted to enter the US before receiving a pardon, they'll check your Canadian record, find the charge, and then enter it into their American record. Subsuquently, even if you're received a Canadian pardon, you might encounter trouble at the US border. I would think this might be even more prevalent with a previous drug charge.

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by canuckcarguy
    I could be wrong, but I thought that if you attempted to enter the US before receiving a pardon, they'll check your Canadian record, find the charge, and then enter it into their American record. Subsuquently, even if you're received a Canadian pardon, you might encounter trouble at the US border. I would think this might be even more prevalent with a previous drug charge.
    Pretty sure that the American's don't care about Canadian Pardon's. Not sure though. One of my friends said they don't recognize pardons.

I guess I'll go down to the police station and get a record check.
    Do you get the results instantly?

Originally posted by Kona9
    403 266-1234 has all your (legit) info.
    What is this place/person?

My Ride
    CBR600RR

^CPS non-emergency number
    In reference to Rob Anders:
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    Hes not really that bad...

My Ride
    fast and red.

Originally posted by BlkMaxima

Pretty sure that the American's don't care about Canadian Pardon's. Not sure though. One of my friends said they don't recognize pardons.
    I'm pretty sure you're right. But I thought that if you hadn't attempted to cross the border with an "active" record, once the pardon went through and you crossed the border, the US wouldn't find anything on your record when you cross.

--U.S. does not recognize Canadian pardons
    --Not to say that there are not exceptions, as it really is up to the border official to let you in or not. I've known people with multiple youth charges who are allowed in.
    --Keep in mind, if you misrepresent yourself to them and if you are asked if you have a record and do not, you can be permanently banned from the country
    --I've read somewhere else on the U.S. website that any non felony is 2 years of waiting, instead of 5 for a felony as stated in the italic section
    --Technically (American rules) to enter the states after having a criminal record you must apply for a Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility located here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

For other American rules about NOT being allowed to enter the States, this is taken straight from their Service Law Books, under the section of "GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILITY"

located here:
    http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVA...c0f508a38f292e

**Note (ii) under the exception talking about youth charges...

quote:
    (2) Criminal and related grounds.-

(A) Conviction of certain crimes.-

(i) In general.-Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-

(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime), or

(II) a violation of (or a conspiracy or attempt to violate) any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)), is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception.-Clause (i)(I) shall not apply to an alien who committed only one crime if-

(I) the crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age, and the crime was committed (and the alien released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than 5 years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States, or

(II) the maximum penalty possible for the crime of which the alien was convicted (or which the alien admits having committed or of which the acts that the alien admits having committed constituted the essential elements) did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, if the alien was convicted of such crime, the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of 6 months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed).

(B) Multiple criminal convictions.-Any alien convicted of 2 or more offenses (other than purely political offenses), regardless of whether the conviction was in a single trial or whether the offenses arose from a single scheme of misconduct and regardless of whether the offenses involved moral turpitude, for which the aggregate sentences to confinement 2/ were 5 years or more is inadmissible.

/quote

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

From this site-
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/crimrec/pandp_e.htm

* If the young person is found guilty of a summary offence, the record is removed three (3) years after the satisfaction of the sentence (custody and/or probation).

* If the young person is found guilty of an indictable offence, the record is active for a period of five (5) years after the satisfaction of the sentence (custody and/or probation) and then is transferred to a special repository.

* If, prior to the expiration of the periods, a conviction for a subsequent summary offence or an indictable offence is entered against a young person, the retention period for all entries will begin anew. Once the retention period for the subsequent offence has expired, the entries are then transferred to a special repository.

As far as a pardon, from this site-
    http://www.nationalpardon.org/NPC_pa...formation.html

The first thing you will want to know about a Canadian pardon is that once your pardon is granted you will never be required to reveal, to anyone, that you ever had a criminal record. A pardon, granted by the federal government of Canada seals your entire criminal record. All charges and all convictions will be removed and kept separate from active criminal files stored in the RCMP database (CPIC). No one can ever access this file without prior written permission of the Solicitor General of Canada.
    Eligibility

Eligibility for a pardon begins after all court demands have been met. This means that all fines have been paid, jail time (if any) has been served, community service performed, etc. Court outcomes can vary to a wide degree so it is difficult to know exactly when the probationary period is complete. This is something we can help with. However, regardless of the details of a criminal court record, once the demands have been met a waiting period of 3 years or 5 years is required before you may be eligible for a pardon.
    What to do?

A 3 year waiting period is required for summary offences while a 5 year waiting period must be met for indictable offences. If you are not yet eligible for a pardon it is still worth your time to begin the application for pardon process.

Expect a 20 month wait. Seriously.
    And read carefully-once a pardon is granted, you never have to reveal your record to anyone-ever.