Quantcast
refuse to install sound system? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: refuse to install sound system?

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Default refuse to install sound system?

ok so i want to install aftermarket speakers + amp/sub into my 08 lancer gts, i don't know much about car audio, or installs, but i do have the following parts:

4x JBL GTO627 6.5"inch speakers (two front speakers and two back speakers)
    1x Alpine MRV-F705 1000watt stereo/mono bridgeable high power car amplifier
    1x Phoenix Gold 10" Subwoofer (R10)
    1x Bassworx 10" Subwoofer Box - Black(BGP10BK)

(note: i plan to keep the stock deck in the car, i don't want to get a aftermarket deck for my car)

i go to my local "car audio store" for a quote on a install and they tell me they refuse to work on my car if i plan to keep my stock desk? they said they need to get a device to connect the the stock deck to the amp, which he didn't explain what it was, just that it'll be expensive.. AND even if i decided to get that device, they would still refuse because someone tried to install aftermarket sound system into their 08 lancer and they broke the stereo and it cost the "car audio store" 3grand to replace/repair.

has anyone else encountered this problem ? does anyone else know where i can go to get my system in stalled?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Where did you buy the parts from? Maybe they dont want to install it since you didnt give them business on the parts.

I know visions was like that.
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 08-10-2008 at 10:18 AM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Hatred

Sounds like they were talking about installing high level input converters that take the signal from speaker wires and converts to a rc terminal for connecting to an amp. They can be a pain and depending on how they are connected may reduce the impedance on the outputs from the head unit which could cause it to burn out.
    -U

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Originally posted by Unknown303
    Sounds like they were talking about installing high level input converters that take the signal from speaker wires and converts to a rc terminal for connecting to an amp. They can be a pain and depending on how they are connected may reduce the impedance on the outputs from the head unit which could cause it to burn out.
    these "high level imput converters" are they expensive? do you recommend any experiences car audio installer in the city? i heard audio concepts is a good place?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Here's a question: why have all the audio equipment and then castrate it by using a stock deck? Fork out the $250 for a decent deck and enjoy better sound.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Unknown303
    They're probably NOT talking about line level convertors, they're probably referring to installing a signal processor such as the JL Cleansweep or the RF 360 - which cost as much as buying an aftermarket deck.

My Ride
    10 WRX

Originally posted by A790
    Here's a question: why have all the audio equipment and then castrate it by using a stock deck? Fork out the $250 for a decent deck and enjoy better sound.
    Your system will sound so much better with a new deck. I didn't believe it at first but once I installed mine, my system sounded at least 3x better.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

ok heres the thing, i don't like how an aftermarket deck looks in the car, which is why i wanna keep the stock deck in, it keeps the car looking very clean, also.. the only way i plan on getting a aftermarket deck, is if it was a touch screen...

someone told me i could just buy a line output converter and an equalizer, would that be any good?

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

new deck > digital signal processor > cheapo line level converter

i'd say uve wasted your money upgrading the audio components by insulting it with a poor signal from the oem deck.

if you're looking to just add subs into the system cheaply, you can use a high to low level converter (the $20 thing ur friend told u about). many of them are cheaply made and can affect your rear speakers (the one's you'll be using to get a signal from). It will be functional but is definitely not the preferred way to set up a system.

ideally you would want a deck with preouts

if u want to stick with OEM, ideally you would want a sound processor to give you preouts for all the speakers, and then have an amp to power the new components as well as an amp to power the sub

if u want oem and want to be cheap, pick up the $20 LoC and hook it up to your rear speakers to create line level rca outputs for your amp. it will work but don't expect wonders when it comes to sound quality. your rear speakers will likely sound alterred and the overall quality of the system will not be that great.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Originally posted by soupey

if u want to stick with OEM, ideally you would want a sound processor to give you preouts for all the speakers, and then have an amp to power the new components as well as an amp to power the sub

what are your thoughts about the "CleanSweep® CL441dsp"

found here: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=79

ive heard good things about this? will this help improve quality?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I had a 93 Lincoln Mark VIII with the premium audio, and the guys at Visions initially told me they didn't want to work on it too. I was also keeping the stock deck in place, as you are. And they did indeed need to switch it over to high level inputs, as there were certainly no rca outputs anywhere in the car.

But eventually, they did so. And I was then the proud owner of a nicely mediocre sound system. People are right - when replacing a system, you gotta go aftermarket. Some will close up and look like a solid panel pretty much - which should fit in with your decor issues.

Oh... and high level converters are not expensive. I think they maybe go for 40 bux for 2 channels?

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Originally posted by beyondpinoy

what are your thoughts about the "CleanSweep® CL441dsp"

found here: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=79

ive heard good things about this? will this help improve quality?
    ive never personally worked with a signal processor, but ive heard good things about it. the problem is moreso of what gts jeff said...the signal processor costs the same, if not more, than an aftermarket deck...which would give you superior sound over the signal processor.

altho looking at your dash, i understand why u dont want to toss the LCD away and move to an aftermarket deck...

i suppose u could always just buy the line level converter and try it out, see if you like it, if not, then just return it (futureshop's return policy at its finest)...and move up to a signal processor.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

my aftermarket deck looks kick ass.

I will see if I have a photo
    Cos...

My Ride
    changes every year

i ahve an 07 Mitsu Outlander with basically the same audio face you have. it costs alot to do what i did, but im more happy with it than keeping the stock deck. i bought the OEM Nav surround and put in a double din DVD deck in there. the piece alone cost me 250. then the deck, the ps2, the sub and amp and it sounds and looks ridiculous. spend the money and do it right the first time. ive done like 4 installs on factory decks with level converters and they always suck ass.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Originally posted by The Cosworth
    my aftermarket deck looks kick ass.

I will see if I have a photo
    i don't like how they look on the lancers dash.. it makes everything look out of sync IMO, unless its a touch screen.. now that looks kick ass!!! but the dash kit alone for that is 4bills!

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    ive done like 4 installs on factory decks with level converters and they always suck ass.
    have you installed a system with JL audio's cleansweep or rockford 3sixty.1? ive read reviews, and everyone who's installed once has been more then happy with the product... just wondering your thoughts about the system?

My Ride
    changes every year

i never have, ive used the 2 channel little black box kind(im not sure what brand) but it was shitty.