Quantcast
Strata company issue - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Strata company issue

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Default Strata company issue

Hello all

Does anyone know if by law a strata company has to give you a invoice or receipt for monthly condo fees?

We have lived in our condo for over a year now and they said they will not give us any documents stating it. They have said that they are not obligated to do this.

Personally I think its a bunch of BS. I put my bike on our porch and 2 days later got a mail complaint saying to take it off or face a fine. Amazing how fast it was.

Thanks all.

My Ride

I found this in the Alberta condo act...

But im not sure if the "corporation means strata company. either way they need to supply this info.

44 On the written request of an owner, purchaser or mortgagee of a unit the corporation shall, within 10 days after receiving that request, provide to the person making the request one or more of the following as requested by that person:

(a) a statement setting out the amount of any contributions due and payable in respect of a unit;

(b) the particulars of

(i) any action commenced against the corporation and served on the corporation,

(ii) any unsatisfied judgment or order for which the corporation is liable, and

(iii) any written demand made on the corporation for an amount in excess of $5000 that, if not met, may result in an action being brought against the corporation;

(c) the particulars of or a copy of any subsisting management agreement;

(d) the particulars of or a copy of any subsisting recreational agreement;

(e) the particulars of any post tensioned cables that are located anywhere on or within the property that is included in the condominium plan;

(f) a copy of the budget of the corporation;

(g) a copy of the most recent financial statements, if any, of the corporation;

(h) a copy of the bylaws of the corporation;

(i) a copy of any minutes of proceedings of a general meeting of the corporation or of the board;

(j) a statement setting out the amount of the capital replacement reserve fund;

(k) a statement setting out the amount of the monthly contributions and the basis on which that amount was determined;

(l) a statement setting out the unit factors and the criteria used to determine unit factor allocation;

(m) a statement setting out any structural deficiencies that the corporation has knowledge of at the time of the request in any of the buildings that are included in the condominium plan;

(n) a copy of any lease agreement or exclusive use agreement with respect to the possession of a portion of the common property, including a parking stall or storage unit.

RSA 1980 cC‑22 s36;1996 c12 s3

My Ride
    72 Virgins

In writing: Tell them to kiss your ass. Then indicate that you will be canceling automatic bank payments and moving to postdated cheques.

On the postdated cheques, clearly mark "Condominium Fee's" By doing this you will have a physical record of each transaction when your cashed cheques are returned by your bank.
    Originally posted by Spoons
    I can't even count the amount of times I took a pill with meth, heroine, speed, you name it laced with it. You gotta be careful.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Request all said documents and condo paperwork in the previous post, make them work for you! Make sure your request is in writing though... some poor sucker will be sitting there photo-copying all day... hopefully the same loser who wrote you up for the bike on your balcony.

[url]

First, if the by-laws or rules so no bike, then don't complain! Be happy the letter didn't include a monetary sanction right away.

Second, you can make the request but remember they can bill you back all the costs to provide you with the documents - they are doing their job if you don't like that and treat them like an ass... you may experience the true force that can be deployed on someone under the Act.

Third, review your by-laws and any rules approved by the board. Will help you avoid this again.

Fourth, don't take the advice of the others and remember a statement isn't a reciept. Don't ask for it just because they told you get rid of your bike.

My Ride

Well the bike I can understand. The point I was making there is that they took 3 days to mail me the doc to remove the bike, but we been living here for over a year and have no doc that states how much our condo fees are.

That I would understand. It does take time to notice and deal with infractions.

You should request the annual budget, total unit factors and your unit factor along with your monthly (or annual) contribution to the corporation/condo fee.

Send it as email/paper copy and request an electronic version (to avoid costs). They do have to comply, if they don't comply with budget remind them of the Act.

My Ride
    Daewoo Tico, Hyundai Grace

Sounds like a real headache.

Get out of Dodge and buy a house!

b-bye Strata and Condo fees!