Quantcast
Alberta law regarding temperatures in 12 hour work day? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alberta law regarding temperatures in 12 hour work day?

Default Alberta law regarding temperatures in 12 hour work day?

Just wondering what the law is if any.
    I work in a steal mill and i'm working with pipe reaching over 600 degrees celcius. the temperature inside is not that hot but its probably around 50..ish. o and i get 0 breaks in 12 hours.
    Thanks for your knowledge

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

0 Breaks for a 12 hour shift...that has to be illegal

I use to work in a welding shop, and it got pretty hot in there if the weather was 30+ outside, it would be 40-50 in the welding bays...I worked a 10 hour shift, we'd get 2 - 15 min breaks and a 30 min lunch, but I'd also be going for a drink of water every 30 mins cuz of the dehydration

Contact Occupational Health and Safety and have them come visit your work
    Last edited by dj_rice; 08-16-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

You're not getting dehydrated?
    No breaks in a 12 hour shift in an ACed environment is illegal.
    Your case is definitely illegal.

My Ride
    gsr

0 breaks in 12 hours n you know it is illegal to work more then 10 hours a day.

My Ride

illegal to work more than 10 hours a day? Isnt that just overtime? I've been putting in 11 hour days for upto 4 days in a row, and I just worked a 12.5 hour shift the other day.

My Ride

Originally posted by rps13_sx
    0 breaks in 12 hours n you know it is illegal to work more then 10 hours a day.

No its not.....you have a choice to work as many hours as you want...if they force you to work the hours...thats illegal..my mother has worked a 16-18 hour shift before working as a florist during the holiday rushes...
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    900rwhp Turbo e46 M3 / 12 BMW X5 35D

OH & S Regulations...there is a section on time/heat.

first of all we put in over 30 hours in the patch somedays.. But thats not a normal work evnviroment, or an everyday thing..
    I don't know if theres anything about temps, but the breaks have to be given to you, I don't remember the exact numbers, but they'll be available. I used to work at michelin and it would get in the 50's in my part of the plant.. But we had more breaks than actual work sometimes.. haha

Default Re: Alberta law regarding temperatures in 12 hour work day?

Originally posted by 325crave
    Just wondering what the law is if any.
    I work in a steal mill and i'm working with pipe reaching over 600 degrees celcius. the temperature inside is not that hot but its probably around 50..ish. o and i get 0 breaks in 12 hours.
    Thanks for your knowledge
    I'm not sure about the heat thing, but at the very very minimum in Alberta, if your shift is more than 5 hours, your employer is required to give you a 30 minute unpaid break. That is the very minimum though.

My Ride

do you automatically get double regular OT if you work more than 12 hours in a shift?

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

From what I understand is you should be getting regular pay for 8 hrs and anything worked after 8 hours is OT. So if you're working 12 hour days you should be getting paid regular time for 8 hours and 4 hours at an OT rate.

In an 8 hour shift you're also supposed to receive two 15 minute breaks and 1 half hour or hour unpaid lunch break.

how far can the law go if it is unionized work? i would think all laws should have to be followed?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

do you work for stadens?

My Ride
    240sx

i believe every 2 hours you work you should get a 15 min break and if you work over 6 you get a 30min break

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by 325crave
    how far can the law go if it is unionized work? i would think all laws should have to be followed?
    Labour laws supercede union regulations.

My Ride
    ralli///art, 09 zx6r

Originally posted by GotRice?
    i believe every 2 hours you work you should get a 15 min break and if you work over 6 you get a 30min break

thats how it works on our company. and anything after 8 hours is OT, but you cant work more than 12 hours.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Ajay
    From what I understand is you should be getting regular pay for 8 hrs and anything worked after 8 hours is OT. So if you're working 12 hour days you should be getting paid regular time for 8 hours and 4 hours at an OT rate.

In Alberta, it's over a week, so if you work over 44 hours in one week, you get over time (in B.C. if you work over 8.5 hours in a day, then you get OT)

To the OP, yes it's illegal. Take it up with your union, they should be fighting for your rights, thats what you pay them for.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    RSTi

If your union reps negotiated a 12 hour work day with no breaks then they should be shot. Minimum you should have is 2 15min breaks and a half hour lunch break.

My Ride

For the OT rule it varies between the company, cause for mine we work 10 hour shifts, so anything over 40 hrs is overtime....but my old place, anything after 8 hours was overtime and anything over 44 hours

My Ride
    06 Ralliart.

alberta standard is more than 8 hours a day is overtime and more than 44 hours in a week is overtime. If you work m-f 8 hours a day and then come in on saturday for 3 hours you only get regular time for those last 3 hours.
    you work 9 hours a day monday, tuesday, wednesday you should be getting 3 hours overtime. http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde....xsl/1470.html

there are some exemptions or changes to the OT start points than last time I looked. Looks to benefit companies more than workers too.

Alberta does have regulations against working more than 12 hours a day. http://www.law-faqs.org/ab/l-hr-01.htm

Breaks

During each shift in excess of five consecutive hours of work, an employee is entitled to at least a one-half hour break, except where it is unreasonable or impossible. The break can be paid, or unpaid, at the employer's discretion.

This means that where a shift is less than 5 hours in length the employer is not obliged to provide a rest period. Where the shift is longer than 5 hours (e.g. 8 or 9 hours) the obligation of the employer is to provide at least 30 minutes of break time sometime during the shift. The 30 minutes can be taken in one unbroken period but may be provided as two 15-minute or three 10-minute breaks.

This, of course, is the minimum standard, and in practice for a full day shift the amount of break time provided is frequently more than the specified minimum. http://employment.alberta.ca/cps/rde....xsl/1031.html
    "Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast